What Is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a cosmetic procedure to get rid of unwanted hair on any part of the body. It works effectively in removing unwanted hair from face, arms, leg, bikini line, underarms and other areas. Laser hair removal method employs highly concentrated beam of light to destroy hair follicles thereby destroying the hair eventually. The laser treatment is completely safe and works permanently. This is why it is one of the most sought-after procedures by both men and women alike.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser beam can effectively target coarse as well as soft hair while leaving the surrounding skin area undamaged. The laser hair removal method works on the primary principle of selective photothermolysis (SPTL) which implies that a specific duration of pulse and matched wavelength is focused on the targeted area without damaging the surrounding skin.
Another principle used in laser treatment is based on the fact that light is absorbed by the dark objects while light objects usually reflect light. So when laser is directed on the target area, the skin pigment – melanin, gets heated up ensuring that the laser beam only effects the basal stem cells of hair follicles. This is why, hair colours such as brown, black, reddish-brown etc. can be easily removed by laser treatment as compared to white or strawberry blonde colour of hair.
Also Read: Safe And Effective Laser Hair Removal
Benefits Of Laser Hair Removal
There are many benefits for opting laser hair removal as method for removing unwanted hair form the body. Here are they –
- Permanent Solution – Laser hair removal is a permanent method to get rid of unwanted body hair forever. All one needs is a couple of sessions.
- Precision – Laser beam has high precision in targeting the hair follicles selectively while leaving the nearby skin unaffected.
- Safe – Laser hair removal machine or equipment follows USFDA regulations. Also, the practitioners are experts who follow strict guidelines and protocols to ensure the safety and efficacy of the procedure.
- Speed – Each pulse of laser beam can treat many hair at a time that makes it a relatively fast procedure than others. In fact, small area such as the upper lip can be done in less than 15 minutes while that of shoulders or back may take an hour.
- Pain-Free – Laser hair removal is a relatively painless method as compared to waxing or epilation sessions.
Body Parts And Laser Hair Removal Packages
Laser hair removal can be done on any body part from head to toe. However, for the best results, one needs to follow the instructions given by the dermatologists. This will prep your skin for receiving laser. Laser hair removal for men usually differs from that of women in the selection of target areas but the procedure remains same more or less. Here are a few target areas for laser hair removal most frequently opted by both men and women –
- Facial hair removal package includes removing unwanted hair from the forehead, upper lip, chin, lower face and neck. This is extremely popular among women.
- Body hair removal packages include chest, back, abdomen, arms and underarms.
- Leg packages include the legs and thighs.
- Private part removal package includes the bikini lines.
- A full body package includes everything.
Procedure, Recovery And Risk
Procedure – The treatment will start with the application of numbing gel on the target area. After waiting for numbing gel to kick in, the dermatologit will start giving pulse of light to the target area. The bigger the area, the longer will it take. Small areas such as chin or eyebrows take just a couple of minutes while areas such as chest or legs may take an hour or more. After the procedure is complete, ice pack or anti-inflammatory lotion can be given to ease any discomfort.
Pre-Care & Post-Care – Pre and post care instructions must be thoroughly followed to get the best laser hair removal results. Here are some common recommendations given by the dermatologists –
- Avoid getting out in the sun a few days prior to the treatment. Laser hair removal treatment should not be done on the tanned skin.
- Stay away from tweezing, waxing or plucking.
- If you have an active infection, let your dermatologist know as procedure should not be done in such conditions.
- After laser is done, wait for your skin to get back to normal. Wait for at least 24 hours prior to applying makeup.
- Wear a good sunscreen for a month following the procedure to prevent any skin discoloration.
- If you experience redness or swelling, apply some cooling gel such as aloe vera gel or whatever is suggested by your dermatologist.
Recovery & Risks – The skin will take some time to recover but there is nothing to worry about after laser treatment. You may notice some redness or swelling but it will subside mostly in a day or two. Your skin might look sunburned but it will also go away once you apply cool compress or a cooling moisturizer.
Also Read: Side Effects Of Laser Hair Removal
Before And After Results
Laser hair removal before and after results differ in every individual. The recovery time after laser treatment is minimal and the effects can be seen almost immediately after the procedure. Most patients will return to normal as soon as they are done with the procedure. You can expect to see a visible reduction in hair after the procedure. After a few weeks (two to eight) you might notice hair re-growth in the treated area. The reason behind this is that not all hair follicles respond to the laser in the same manner.
Most people will see up to 25% reduction in hair after the first session. Typically, it takes about three to eight sessions to see complete reduction in hair. However, one might need touch-up sessions yearly, to maintain the effect.
Why Laser Hair Removal Is Better?
Laser hair removal is undoubtedly one of the best treatment for permanent hair reduction with a whopping success rate of up to 90%. It is one-time investment for getting rid of unwanted hair from any body part. The full body laser hair removal cost is comparatively far less than the lifetime of salon visits for temporary hair removal treatments. Also, it will save you much time and energy in the future. It is recommended to consult your dermatologists and weigh all the laser hair removal pros and cons before taking a decision.
FAQs On Laser Hair Removal
How Many Sessions Are Required?
Typically, it requires three to eight session to see the desired results. But the number of sessions vary according to thickness of skin, volume of hair growth, colour of skin, underlying health condition, etc.
What Skin Type Be Treated?
Any skin type can be treated with laser. There are different types of lasers used for the specific skin type for instance, Nd YAG laser is used for skin type 4 laser hair removal.
Is There Any Radiation?
The laser used for hair removal uses non-ionizing radiation which means it does not pose any risk to the body.
Is Laser Hair Removal Permanent?
Yes, laser hair removal gives permanent hair reduction for lifetime, if all prescriptions and follow-up sessions are proceeded well.
Does Laser Hair Removal Hurt?
No, laser hair removal is completely painless with minimal discomfort.