The thought of applying a face mask, kicking back, and just relaxing for a couple of minutes sounds very soothing! And, when it comes to removing acne with face mask, there are plenty that you can use. This article will help you understand different types of face masks for acne depending on your skin type.
Are DIY Homemade Face Masks Are Good For Acne?
The main problem with acne prone skin is the clogging of pores. Face mask for acne can help you to unplug these pores by absorbing the excess oil, dirt, and impurities contained in them. They can also help to relax the skin, rejuvenate the skin regeneration process, and even prevent future breakouts.
Ingredients in some acne masks help to kill the acne-causing bacteria Propionibacterium acnes. By killing the bacteria, the inflammation and redness will be brought under control as well.
With such a wide range of beneficial effects acne face masks have on the skin, you can definitely give them a go!
Choosing Right Face Mask For Acne Based On Skin Type
Before you start using a face mask to treat your pimples, it is important to identify your skin type and use a mask with ingredients that will suit your skin.
- Oily Skin – The main concern with oily skin type is the excess oil that is being produced by the sebaceous glands. An acne face mask for oily skin should contain ingredients that would specifically absorb this excess oil. Additionally, a pH-balancing ingredient will help to bring the oil production under control.
- Sensitive Skin – It is always difficult to find a face mask that suits sensitive skin. To add to this, when the skin is prone to breakouts, it becomes a daunting task. An acne mask for sensitive skin should ideally contain anti-inflammatory constituents that reduce the swelling and soothe the skin.
- Dry Skin – While dry skin and acne is a rare combination, it is still seen in a few individuals. A face mask for these people should contain a hydrating and moisturizing agent, but it should not be too oily as well. With enough moisturization from an acne mask for dry skin, the skin will remain supple and produce only the required amount of natural oils.
- Combination Skin – For this skin type, the right balance of the contents of a natural face pack is essential because there are areas of the face with excess oil and acne, and the other regions are dry and need nourishment. Multi-masking is growing trend for combination skin that is acne prone, wherein one type of mask is applied on the oily zones and another mask is applied on the dry skin areas. This technique helps to gain maximum benefits of each face mask.
Also Read: Get Expert Help To Reduce Acne Outbreaks
Best Face Masks For Acne
Here are some homemade face masks for acne:
1. Homemade Acne Mask With Honey
This acne mask is good for all skin types.
- Rinse your face with warm water.
- Pat it dry but still leave the skin slightly damp.
- Apply raw, organic honey all over the face and leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse the honey off using lukewarm water. Follow this up with washing your face with cool water so that the pores are closed.
2. Fuller’s Earth Mud Face Mask
This acne mud mask suits oily skin and combination skin.
- To two teaspoons of fuller’s earth powder (also known as multani mitti), add one teaspoon of either dried orange peel powder or dried neem leaves powder.
- Add some rose water to this powder mixture and mix everything together to get a smooth paste.
- Apply this face mask and let it dry naturally for a couple of minutes.
- Wash it off using tepid water or normal water.
3. Yeast And Yogurt Mask (For Oily Skin)
Even the combination skin type people can use this acne skin mask.
- Mix one teaspoon brewer’s yeast with a teaspoon of plain yogurt.
- Apply this either on the entire face or only the oily areas.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off.
4. Lemon And Turmeric Face Mask
All skin types can use this face mask. For sensitive skin type, add some rose water to reduce the lemon’s acidity.
- Take half a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a small bowl. Use the turmeric powder meant for topical usage; do not use the one from the kitchen cupboard that is used for cooking purposes.
- To this, add one teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix well.
- Apply on the acne-affected skin and let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse the face mask off with lukewarm water.
Also Read: Best Homeremedies To Prevent Pimples
5. Fruit Face Mask For Acne
A fruit mask for acne that will suit all skin types!
- Mash two to three ripe strawberries. Make sure that there are no lumps.
- Add one to one and a half teaspoon of honey to this and mix it with the mashed strawberries.
- Apply this on the face and then wash it off after about 15 minutes.
6. Grape Cleanser Mask
This super simple mask works as a cleanser and also as an acne-fighting remedy.
- Crush three to four black grapes and apply this on the face.
- Rinse it off after 10 to 15 minutes.
Additionally, for oily skin, you can add a teaspoon of fuller’s earth (multani mitti) and some rose water to the crushed grapes. For sensitive and dry skin, add some honey instead.
7. Cucumber Face Mask
This can be used by all skin types for pimples treatment.
- Cut and blend 1/4th of a regular-sized cucumber.
- Add one teaspoon of sandalwood powder (chandan) and plain yogurt each to this.
- Mix everything together and carefully apply on the face, as the mask might drip slightly.
- Leave it on the face for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
8. Oatmeal Facial Mask
This face mask suits oily and combination skin type. Add some honey when using it on dry skin and sensitive skin.
- Take one tablespoon of oatmeal flour and add a tablespoon of gram flour (besan) to it.
- Now, add a pinch of turmeric powder and mix the dry ingredients to get a homogenous mixture.
- Pour in enough rose water to get a smooth paste.
- Apply this pack and let it dry for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
9. Lemon And Egg Face Mask
This acne mask is ideal for oily skin and combination skin. It also works as an acne marks mask.
- Separate one egg white and whisk it well.
- Add one teaspoon of lemon juice to this and mix well.
- Using your fingers or a brush, apply the mixture on your face.
- Leave this on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
10. Turmeric Face Mask
You can use this acne mask for all skin types.
- To one to two tablespoons of aloe vera gel, add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Mix them together and apply on the face.
- Let it sit for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
Use fresh aloe vera gel if possible.
It is advisable to use acne control face masks one to two times a week, depending on how your skin is responding to it. With such home remedies, it is always a trial and error method as there is no guarantee about the results. Also, keep in mind that the face masks might work for mild acne and sometimes for moderate acne. For severe acne, medical intervention using dermatologist recommended treatments is required.