Table of Contents
The ideal image of the modern man is no longer associated with the raw, ungroomed, and extensively hairy cave man. Gone are the times where grooming beyond shaving for men was talked about with embarrassment. These days, men have ditched the yesteryear macho look of Bollywood and the stereotypes that say extensive grooming is only for women.
With the progress in technology, men can deal with their image issues related to their body hair easily and relatively pain-free streamline themselves for athletic reasons or just groom for confidence. There is a high demand now for laser hair removal in men, especially on areas such as the back, neckline, shoulders, chest, abs, and some men even treat their beards.
What Is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal for men is by far the safest, easiest, and most pain-free method of treatment currently in practice. It also drastically reduces the time of treatment and has the highest cost-benefit ratio compared to other practices in the short and long term.
In short, laser hair removal is a tried and tested medical procedure of removing unwanted hair. It uses light energy that converts to heat energy, which prevents hair from growing. The technique uses targeted exposure to laser light that selectively heats dark skin matter (melanin) in the hair follicle while not heating the rest of the skin. The stem cells present will not regrow hair resulting in permanent hair removal.
Other Hair Removal Methods
The more conventional hair removal methods are performed in salons or by the individual themselves.
1) Shaving – Men are extremely familiar with this method. Over time, shaving has gone from just beards to other areas of the body. However, those would require custom instruments and usually do not last longer than 1-5 days. It can also lead to cuts and infections when not done properly.
2) Cream Hair Removers – A tedious and often tricky method of hair removal, cream hair removers melt away surface level hair that is then scraped away. With varying results due to skin types, it can lead to irritation from the heavy amount of chemicals and is extremely time-consuming.
3) Waxing And Threading – Keeping with the image of the metrosexual, many a man has braved waxing when summer comes around or simply threading on a regular basis. With a mixed success rate and a fair bit of pain, these methods of hair removal are not a popular choice for men. Skin irritation, inflammation, burns, and infections with extremely tedious post-care far outweigh the benefits.
Over time, hair removal techniques have become more medical in nature due to technological advances.
4) Electrolysis – This Electrolysis hair removal method uses ultra-slim needles to penetrate hair shafts and shocks the hair follicle killing the cells under them. While this method has short sessions of 10 to 20 minutes each, they are required to be performed weekly for a year or more since they target each shaft. As a result, larger areas cannot be tackled at once and hence is not a very cost-effective method of hair removal. There are ‘’at-home” versions of the device (epilators), but these are not as effective as their dermatology clinic counterparts. Most are not FDA approved either, raising safety concerns.
Laser Hair Removal Process
The hair cycle takes place in three stages – the growth phase (Anagen), the resting phase (Cotagen), and the shedding phase (Telogen). Laser hair removal is effective at the growth phase of hair as the procedure uses laser light energy to penetrate the hair shaft. As the hairs are in different stages of the growth cycle, several treatment sessions are required.
The laser produces a beam of highly concentrated light that is absorbed by the pigment, which heats the target area, damaging the follicle and stopping the hair from growing. After the hair removal process has been performed, the hair will shed over a period of 2-3 weeks. Depending on the individual and the area being treated, sessions are scheduled at 4-12 week intervals.
If the post care instructions are followed properly, men can see a significant reduction in hair growth right from their first session.
Top Reasons For Choosing Laser Hair Removal For Men
a) Saves Time And Money – After going through the required number of sessions of laser hair removal, your trips to the barber for shaves (even in the other areas) or purchasing of shaving products and other cosmetic items reduces drastically. You can now tackle the day with no more tedious routines.
b) Get Rid Of The Custom Products – Keeping in the theme of saving time and money, men can save some shelf space by going through laser hair removal. One no longer needs to buy a range of custom and non-tested gadgets for removing hair from different parts of the body.
c) No Shedding – Hair fall from treated areas is practically non-existent after the laser hair removal procedure. Your clothes, sheets, and household will thank you.
d) Better Hygiene – Most men, especially in climates like Bangalore’s, complain of excessive sweating and the other skin related issues that rise due to it. Removing hair in troublesome areas allows them to breathe, thereby reducing the risk of skin problems and body odor.
e) Eliminates In-Grown Hairs – Due to the principle behind laser hair removal, in grown hairs become a thing of the past. Skin bumps and scarring from invasive treatment can also be avoided.
f) Muscle Definition – Laser hair removal that is performed on areas like the chest, shoulders, and abs gives the body a cleaner and more streamlined look.
Also Read: Is Laser Hair Removal Permanent?
Cost Of Laser Hair Removal
(A) Factors That Affect Laser Hair Removal
All men can be considered for laser hair removal treatments. At Oliva, we have technologies that suit all kinds of skin and hair, whether coarse or thin. Our experienced dermatologists determine the number of sessions depending on the type of skin and hair, the size and type of area to be treated, and the hormonal status of the individual.
(B) A Cost Comparison Of Laser Hair Removal
The true value of laser hair removal is seen in the long term. In Bangalore, for example, sessions range between Rs. 2,000 to 3,000 and on average six sessions are required. If you are a man who braves waxing for instance, a facial wax can cost anywhere between Rs. 300 to Rs. 600 every two weeks. These costs also need to factor other shaving products or hair removal creams, and their overall increase over time.
When it comes down to simple math, men in Bangalore can save a sizeable chunk of income and time by trying laser hair removal treatments.
What To Expect During The Laser Hair Removal?
All our laser hair removal procedures are minimal to no pain. Our Super Hair Reduction service is called “pain-free, hair-free” as it is performed “in-motion” using low peak powers. The only sensation you may have is a mild sensation of warmth, which feels like a pleasant hot stone massage. The Nd YAG hair reduction may give a mild pinprick sensation. In case you are uncomfortable during the laser hair removal procedure, a numbing cream is applied one hour before the service is performed to ensure that you do not experience any pain.
During laser hair removal, some of the targeted hairs are completely destroyed, some are partially destroyed, and some are pushed into a sleep-like state inhibiting their growth in the future. The resting hairs remain untreated and grow as usual, which are then subjected to laser removal in future sessions.
Risk & Side Effects Of Laser Hair Removal
Our laser hair removal technologies are extremely safe, are chosen with care for Indian skin types and procedures are performed by experienced cosmetic dermatologists and certified therapists. We have stringent and tested protocols that have been designed for effectiveness while ensuring your safety. For example, a patch test is conducted to determine if the laser hair removal procedure suits your skin type.
Post a session, some skin types are prone to become slightly red or swollen in the treated area, especially around the hair follicles. This will subside naturally in an hour or two.
Things To Take Care Of Before Doing The Procedure
1) Do not shave for 10 days prior.
2) Avoid using makeup on the day of the service.
3) Stop using medicinal creams and depigmenting creams for four days prior to the current service. If unsure, please consult our skin specialists.
4) Avoid any beauty parlour service for one week before the current service.
5) Do not use scrubs (commercial or homemade) two days prior to the service.
6) Avoid waxing, bleaching, plucking, and threading the area to be lased between sessions.
7) If advised, please take the anti-viral medication 24 hours before your scheduled appointment.
Read More: How To Remove Nose Hair Permanently For Men?
Laser Hair Removal At Oliva
At Oliva, we have two different technologies to reduce facial and body hair permanently. We have a Nd YAG laser, which is the safest hair reduction laser for Indian skin. We use Soprano Ice, which is the most popular Nd YAG laser worldwide. It is a US FDA approved machine.
We also have a unique hair reduction service called Super Hair Reduction (SHR). It is an advanced light based technology and is called the “pain-free, hair-free” service. SHR is safe and effective for all skin and hair types and works wonders on relatively fine hair too.
Both Nd YAG hair reduction and SHR packages consist of six sessions, which are done at 4-8 week intervals depending on the body part and rate of hair growth. Some may need maintenance sessions once or twice a year after the initial sessions are done.
Laser hair removal for men in Bangalore is not only safe and an effective way of dealing with image or hygiene issues; it has a long-term cost and time benefit with very little effort. This allows you to live a hassle-free life to the fullest. Contact Oliva and get closer to a more confident you.