Acne is a skin condition that leaves its presence even after it has been removed from the skin. This presence is in the form of acne scars. Once the acne diminishes, your skin heals itself and in that process, it develops red or pink scars. These scars can either be tiny or deep ones. Before beginning with a specific treatment, it is important to determine the underlying causes.
Causes of Redness Of A Scar
Red scars on face or any other body part lead to discomfort and affect a person’s self-confidence. Any new scar is usually red in color, which gradually changes to white as it fades away
Is A Red Scar Permanent?
No, redness of a scar is not permanent if treated in time. However, most scars leave a permanent mark behind. You can opt for treatments that will help you lighten the scars and make them less visible. However, you cannot completely remove a scar. The redness of the scar usually disappears on its own or for extreme cases, there are ways through which an individual can reduce the red scars on skin.
How Long Will Scars Stay Red?
The time taken for the redness of a scar to disappear depends upon the type of scar you have. A raised red scar might fade away faster than deep red acne scars. Ideally, it can take anywhere between 9 months to 18 months for them to disappear. Usually, the scars would remain red for a longer period of time in children than in adults.
There are few more factors which will determine how long the scars will remain red. These factors include type of the skin, genetics, life style, race, etc.
How To Reduce Redness On Face From Acne Scars?
There are various treatments available that can help you get rid of red acne scars. However, before you try out any of the below, it is recommended to consult your dermatologist to determine the most suitable treatment plan for your skin type.
- Chemical Peels – They consist of plant extract formulated acids of varying strengths, which are administered on the skin under controlled conditions to bring exfoliation. When the peel is applied on the face, it helps in replacing the damaged top layers of your skin and promoting the growth of new skin cells. Thus reducing the appearance of the red acne scars and also lightening the skin.
- Laser Treatments – Laser is the most advanced technology for skin conditions. There are different types of lasers available and in order to get rid of the red pimple scars, you should opt for the non-ablative laser. A controlled beam of light is passed reaching at the basal stem cells of the deformed skin region. This renders them ineffective. This cosmetic treatment helps in removing the top layers of the skin as well, thereby, reducing the redness of your acne scars and making them less visible.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Treatment – The IPL treatments are gaining popularity as they help in creating new skin without causing any damage to the outer layer of your skin. After the treatment, you will notice that the redness from your scars have subsided.
- Dermabrasion – If your flat red acne scars are not too deep then dermatologist may recommend dermabrasion. It is an invasive procedure using a rotating wire brush to remove the dead skin cells from top layers of the skin. This treatment should be used only if there are small red scars.
Tips To Prevent Red Scars On Face
Additionally your dermatologist would also recommend the below, to prevent the spread of red acne scars further –
- Use products such as toners, gels, cleansers, etc., which contain benzoyl peroxide.
- The redness of the acne scars can be removed by using skincare products that contain salicylic acid.
- Hydroquinone available over-the-counter, is a chemical skin lightener which can be used to reduce the redness from the acne scars. Follow the dermatologist’s instructions of usage and application.
- Exfoliation is a great way to reduce the redness of the acne scars. You can either use retinoid creams or use a BHA exfoliant that uses Beta Hydroxy Acid.
- Gently massage the area where you have the scars. This will increase the circulation of blood so that all the essential nutrients and blood can quickly reach the affected area. This will aid in faster healing which in turn will aid in reducing the redness quickly.
- Always keep your skin moisturized. The red scars appear worse on a dry skin.
- Try to avoid the harsh sunlight on your scars. These new scars are quite sensitive and the sun’s rays can make your scar appear even redder.
- Try to keep your red scars covered by using sunscreens that are at least SPF 30.
Though the redness from the pimple scars usually disappears in some time, it is best to consult your dermatologist and get the right treatment in time, so that you can have the desired results quickly. Rather than waiting for almost a year for the redness to fade, you can build back your confidence level and improve your appearance by getting rid of the red acne scars with timely treatment.