Having unwanted hair on legs is an unsightly situation that no one likes to face. Even after all your efforts, it can be hard to deal with hair on legs, that not just prevents you from wearing your choice of outfit but also causes immense psychological issues. Shaving or waxing can only give temporary solution and are usually not considered the best leg hair removal techniques, as they cause burning pain, ingrown hair and also lead to skin rashes if proceeded inappropriately. In order to know how to remove hair from legs, one needs to understand the root cause for unwanted hair and the recommended dermatologist treatments.
What Causes Unwanted Hair On Legs?
For identifying an ideal treatment for leg hair removal, it is important to understand what triggers this issue. From hormonal imbalance to genetics, there could be numerous reasons behind it, that include –
- Hirsutism – It is a medical condition that causes excess hair growth in certain parts of the body (like lower abdomen and legs). It can be caused due to an increase in the level of androgens (male hormone) in the body. It usually results in a surge in hair growth the same way as distribution of body hair in males, with more hair on legs, chest, beard, private parts, etc. According to Indian Journal of Dermatology, 5-10% of women suffer from Hirsutism.
- PCOS – Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome can also lead to a hormonal imbalance in our body. This can lead to the excessive growth of hair on legs and other body parts, as in PCOS the level of androgen hormone increases in the women which causes the trigger.
- Hormonal Imbalance – Any other condition like pregnancy, childbirth, irregular menstrual cycle, or even a change in the environment can cause hormonal imbalance. This can boost the growth of hair on legs.
- Adrenal Gland Disorder – Women suffering from adrenal gland disorder are found to have an elevated level of cortisol in their body. This stress hormone can cause unwanted hair on body especially on legs.
- Other Reasons – There could be some other reasons for hair growth on legs as well. Certain medicines, diabetes, genetics, physical stress, elevated testosterone levels, steroids, etc. can also trigger hair growth.
How To Remove Hair From Legs?
There are several methods to choose from when it comes to leg hair removal. However, based on the level of pain, complication and effectiveness these may be classified into:
- Temporary – Methods like shaving, depilatory creams, waxing, sugaring, or other home-based methods are simple and easy to follow. However, the biggest downside is your hair grows back. Generally, your hair grows back within a week of saving and 1-2 weeks of waxing. Similarly, hair removal creams are useful for 1-2 weeks. Some noted side effects of the above methods are the level of pain, ingrown hair, irritation and redness. If you have a quicker hair growth cycle, these methods are not useful.
- Permanent – Advanced methods like laser hair removal and electrolysis are often considered a permanent solution to remove leg hair. The laser treatment is quick, safe and effective on all Indian skin types. The technology used in Laser is USFDA approved and works wonderfully on almost everyone. In comparison, electrolysis is a time consuming and painful procedure. In this fine needles are inserted into your skin to burn the pigments of hair follicles. It may also leave scars behind.
Laser Hair Removal For Legs
In this, procedure a concentrated beam of light (of single wavelength) is directed to the hair follicles under the skin. The light is absorbed by the dark pigments that are responsible for hair growth, and it heats up the target follicles. This damages the hair follicles enough to tamper with the natural texture of hair. The new hair strands are lighter and thinner in nature. Laser only targets the hair in its anagen or growth phase of hair cycle so a few sessions are needed to get desired results. After concurrent sessions, it results in negligible hair growth. The treatment is best suited for those with a light skin tone and darker hair.
The benefits of laser based hair removal –
1. Gives you silky and smooth legs
2. Saves your time and energy
3. Cost effective in long-run
4. Saves you from regular saving or waxing
5. No side effects
6. Gives you permanent and long-lasting results
Also Read: Is Laser Hair Removal Permanent?
How Long Does It Last?
This is a permanent solution. Therefore, it lasts forever if you follow all instructions and undertake all your maintenance sessions post the procedure to regulate the hair growth.
How Many Sessions Are Required?
Ideally, 5-6 sessions would give great results with 1-2 maintenance sessions per year. But the number of sessions and the fluence of the laser beam would depend on the amount hair growth, skin tone, the texture of hair, thickness of hair, the desired results, etc.
The before and after results of a laser hair removal treatment for legs can easily be distinguished. It leads to a smooth skin without traces of hair within few weeks of first session. And after all your sessions, the results would be more natural and appealing. So it is often considered as the best treatment for permanent hair removal on legs.
Does Laser Hair Removal Hurt On Legs?
No, laser hair removal does not hurt on your legs as it is a non-invasive process. Though, it might cause mild sensation and leave your skin sore and red for a few hours, but this is normal. After applying moisturizers or any prescribed lotion, your skin would heal in no time.
Laser Hair Removal Cost For Legs
Reputed skin clinics in India charge between Rs. 7,200 to Rs. 11,000 per session of leg hair removal. Ideally, a person with normal hair growth cycle would require 6-8 sessions of this treatment. Also, the cost varies from city to city and from one clinic to another.
Based on the prices prevailing in top skin and hair clinics across Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Kochi and Visakhapatnam.
Leg Hair Removal At Home Solutions
- Shaving – This is a quick-fix for hair removal on legs. Though, it doesn’t remove your hair from the roots. It simply cuts the upper part of the hair strands over the surface of the skin, leaving the roots intact. Therefore, hair grows back easily after a while. Also it does not remove ingrown hair and can cause bruises and cuts.
- Waxing – This is another common technique in which hot wax is used to remove hair from the roots. The new hair is usually fine and takes around 3-4 weeks to grow back. And it involves a lot of hassle. Also, you would have to wait for the strands to grow long enough in order to be ripped out effectively. This treatment also does not remove the ingrown hair.
- Hair Removal Creams – There are certain depilatory creams that you can use to get rid of unwanted hair growth on your legs. While it is quite convenient, it is not a long-term solution as hair would grow back after a while. Furthermore, some chemicals might end up damaging your skin adversely
- Epilators – Epilators give almost similar results like waxing, and they also need the hair to be of a certain length for removing them. They pluck the hair from its roots and result in a smoother skin. Though, the technique might cause unwanted pain and leave your skin sore for a while.