Human body is prone to various diseases and conditions which are caused by different factors that include infections from fungus, bacteria, virus and more. There are different types of fungal infections such as ringworm, jock itch, candida, etc. that cause skin infection or yeast infection. Taking the right medication to overcome these infections is very important because not treating them in time with the right medication can make your condition even worse.
What Is Ketoconazole?
One of the best ways to treat fungal infections is by using Ketoconazole. This is an antifungal drug which is available commercially. This is available for both oral consumption as well as topical application. Azole antifungals is a class of drugs and ketoconazole belongs to this class.
Why Is Ketoconazole Medication Prescribed?
Ketoconazole is usually prescribed to treat any kind of yeast or fungal infections on your skin, nails, hair, blood, etc. This medication is effective in preventing the growth of the fungus or killing the yeast or fungus. Ketoconazole is also prescribed to treat specific health disorders as it can help in reducing the male hormone levels or androgens.
What Does Ketoconazole Treat?
The “Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism” published a study in its August 1990 issue which established that based on certain research, it was found that ketoconazole can be used to treat acne in females. It was found that during the treatment, the levels of male hormones reduced in these women and there was a marked improvement in all the symptoms of pimples. You can use ketoconazole cream for Pimple treatment, after consulting with your dermatologist.
However, another journal called the “Dermatology” published a study in 1998 claimed that ketoconazole for acne should not be prescribed as its effectiveness is not as strong as required.
What Is The Dosage For Ketoconazole?
The dosage differs from one patient to another. There are various factors which need to be taken into consideration before deciding on the required dosage. These factors include the strength of the medication, the number of dosages required every day, the time gap between two doses, the medical problem for which this medication is being prescribed, etc.
Below is a glimpse of the average dosage that is recommended if you are taking it in the form of tablets and for a fungal infection –
• Adults – 200 milligrams once in a day. If required, depending upon the various factors, the dosage can be increased by the doctor.
• Children (2 years and above) – The body weight is taken into consideration by the doctor before deciding on the dosage. On an average, 3.3 to 6.6 milligrams once in a day is prescribed for per kilogram of the body weight.
• Children (below 2 years) – The dosage is determined by the doctor.
If in case you miss out on your daily dosage, try to take it as quickly as possible. However, if it is already time for your next dose, then you can skip the dose that you have missed. Ensure that you never take double doses.
Also Read: Nodular Acne – Causes And Treatment Options
What Is Ketoconazole Used For?
1- The ketoconazole solution is majorly used to treat fungal infections which can spread through your blood. Some of the severe fungal or yeast infections which are treated using ketoconazole include blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, candidiasis, coccidioidomycosis, paracoccidioidomycosis, chromoblastomycosis, etc.
2- Certain parasitic fungal infections which cannot be treated using griseofulvin or topical medication can be treated with the help of ketoconazole. These include fungal infections such as ringworm, jock itch or athlete’s foot.
What Are The Side Effects Of Ketoconazole?
There are both minor as well as severe ketoconazole side effects. Minor side effects associated with this medication are –
• Stomach pain
• Loss of scalp hair
These mild side effects generally disappear after couple of days or weeks. But if you notice that the side effects are still continuing, then you should talk to your doctor.
The severe side effects of ketoconazole include damage to the liver, depression, jaundice, bleeding, loss of appetite, weakness, etc. You need to inform your doctor immediately if you notice any of these side effects.
Precautions When Using Ketoconazole
There are certain precautions that you need to be aware of before using ketoconazole. Some of these precautions include –
• You should strictly follow the dosage that has been prescribed by your doctor. You should avoid any changes such as; taking more of the dosage or lesser than what is prescribed, taking it for longer than what is prescribed, stopping the medication without your doctor’s consent, etc.
• You might notice positive results within a few days of using the medication. However, you should not stop taking it as the infection might not have cleared up completely.
• It is advisable to take the medication along with your food.
• You should take ketoconazole with an acidic beverage if you are also taking an antacid-containing aluminum along with it. Ideally, ketoconazole should be taken 1-2 hours after you take the antacid-containing aluminum.
• You need to inform your doctor if you have any allergies or are allergic to any of the azole antifungal drugs which also includes ketoconazole.
• Any liver problem, your alcohol intake, low testosterone levels, problems related to gland function, etc., should be all discussed with your doctor in length so that he/ she can take an informed decision on whether or not to prescribe the medication.
FAQ’s On Ketoconazole
How long does it take ketoconazole to work?
A ketoconazole cream usually takes 2 to 6 weeks to show results when applied once in a day, and a ketoconazole shampoo generally takes almost 8 weeks to show results provided you use it once in every 3 to 4 days.
Can ketoconazole be used for yeast infection?
Yes, it is an effective medication against yeast infection.
Since, some of the side effects of ketoconazole can be life-threatening, it is very important to ensure that you take this medication only after consulting with your doctor. Also, you will have to strictly adhere to your doctor’s instructions regarding the dosage as well as read the Medication Guide which comes along with the medication. Ketoconazole, when used correctly can help you effectively in getting rid of diseases and health conditions caused due to fungal and yeast infections.