Without getting a permanent cure for hair fall, one might experience partial or complete baldness. Going by the facts, over 85% of men and some 50% of women suffer from the problems. If you happen to see excessive hair fall or receding hairlines, it is time to look for a cure.
What Is The Reason For Hair Fall?
Hair fall can appear in many different ways due to many reasons. Usually, people lose about 100 hairs a day. If you are losing more hair than normal and new hair are not getting replaced in their place, then that indicates hair loss. Hereditary is believed to be the primary reason behind hair loss. Hair loss is usually passed down from generation to generation due to a combination of genes primarily from mother’s side. Apart from that, many environmental factors are also involved in causing severe hair loss. Here are the primary reasons for hair fall in both men and women –
- Hereditary – Family history play a major role in causing the hereditary condition called male pattern baldness as well as female pattern baldness. It occurs in predictable patterns with age. In men, the symptoms include receding hairline and bald spots while in women, it starts as thinning hair.
- Hormonal Imbalance – Hormonal imbalances during pregnancy or menopause can trigger temporary hair loss problems.
- Certain Medications –Hair loss can be a side effect of certain medications used to treat cancer, heart problems, high blood pressure etc.
- Stress –Stress or any stressful event can trigger temporary hair loss due to an imbalance in the hormones.
- Lifestyle – Certain lifestyle changes can trigger or increase the chances of hair loss. Also, excessive smoking can put you at more risk of losing hair.
- Radiation –Chemotherapy and radiation treatments can result in permanent loss of hair from certain parts of the scalp and body.
- Certain Hair Treatments –Hair treatments with strong chemicals can also result in excessive hair shedding and eventually hair loss.
- Poor Diet: A diet lacking vitamin D, vitamin A, biotin, selenium etc. has been found to trigger temporary hair loss.
Must Read: Hair Loss Treatment
Hair Loss Cure – What You Should Know?
How To Cure Hair Loss?
There are plenty of treatment options available to treat hair loss. Especially, sudden hair loss can be a sign of an underlying medical condition. Can dermatologist cure hair loss? Yes, totally! It is best to visit your dermatologist to pursue relevant treatment for hair loss. Here are some of the popular and effective treatments suggested by the dermatologists –
- PRP Treatment – Platelet-rich plasma therapy is an advanced treatment option to cure hair loss. This non-invasive treatment procedure can help you to regain your lost hair naturally. The treatment involves the extraction of plasma from the patient’s blood which is activated and inserted into the scalp to stimulate hair follicles and grow new hair naturally. The treatment is a successful cure for alopecia hair loss in men. It is completely safe and effective with a little downtime. The new hair growth can be seen after a few sessions of PRP.# How does PRP therapy help In male/female pattern baldness? Know from Dr. Archhana Gullur, consultant dermato-trichologist at Oliva Clinic
- Medications – Certain oral and topical medications can reverse hair loss.
1 – Finasteride is an oral medication used as a hair loss cure in men. The effects can be seen in the form of new hair growth even in the places where hair stopped growing.
2 – Another medicine used for topical use is called Minoxidil, also commonly known as Rogaine. It comes as a solution and is used on the scalp to promote hair growth. It is an effective hereditary hair loss cure for both men and women.
3 – Also, hair treatments such as anti-dandruff lotions are prescribed by the dermatologists as a cure for dandruff and hair fall caused by it.
- Hair Transplantation –If you experience permanent hair loss, then hair transplantation is the best option for you. This is the quickest treatment available though it is a bit on the expensive side. There are different approaches for hair transplantation in men and women. The section of scalp with hair is transplanted to the areas with no hair. Sometimes, a larger strip containing multiple hair groupings are taken for the grafting process. This process is known as Follicular Unit Transplantation. This is a surgical procedure and one must get it done by an expert dermatologist only.
- Laser Therapy – Laser therapy has emerged as a hereditary hair loss cure in men and women. This FDA-approved procedure involves the use of the laser to widen the hair follicles and stimulate fresh growth.
The low-level light therapy or LLLT is the most recommended technique to cure excessive hair fall.
- Hair Cloning – Hair cloning or Multiplication technique is the latest technique to cure hair loss. A sample of healthy hair follicles is taken from the patient’s scalp and grown outside the body in an ideal environment. Then the new healthy cells are transferred to the scalp. It is effectively used as a hormonal or hereditary hair loss cure.
- Stem Cell Therapy – The latest on hair loss cure is stem cell therapy. In this technique, epithelial stem cells are extracted from the hair follicles and then are allowed to produce epithelial components. Later, these components are injected back into the scalp to promote new hair growth.
- Scalp Reduction – This surgical treatment can be a permanent cure for hair loss. In this treatment, the bald area of the scalp is removed and replaced by the area with sufficient hair growth. The replaced area is stretched towards the bald area so it might leave a scar behind.
- Dietary Supplements: Certain dietary supplements such as iron tablets are prescribed to cure itchy scalp and hair loss.
What Is The Best Cure Available?
# Watch this video to learn hair fall treatments available in India and their comparison.
Upcoming Hair Fall Treatments
As scientific research continues on finding a cure for hair loss, new potential treatments have emerged. Scientists are on the verge of breakthrough innovations to develop the most effective and long-standing treatment options. Let us discuss the new game-changer remedies which are the latest on hair loss cure –
- 3D Spheroid Grafts – The researchers have been able to culture 3D spheroids by extracting cells from a balding man. These 3D spheroids are essentially a clump of cells which maintain their identity and role for hair growth. These spheroids were grafted onto the skin of bald mice and new hair growth was observed immediately. The researchers also found that these spheroids were able to promote hair regrowth in seven out of nine bald mice which indicate the success of the treatment. However, the research is further going on to investigate its potential in human grafts.
- Fat – The scientists have noticed that fat is linked with hair loss. As men and women age, they lose the layer of fat from the scalp and eventually hair growth is stopped as well. It has also been found that fat is responsible for the production of platelet derived growth factors (PDGF) which play a major role in hair growth. Further research is going on to apply this knowledge in the development of a new cure for hair loss.
- Latisse – Latisse is a drug used for eyelash growth and is currently under investigation as a future cure for hair loss. Also, scientists have noticed that Latisse resulted in thicker and longer eyelash growth in patients. New ways are being developed to get this medication to penetrate the scalp and regrow hair.
- Combination Therapy – Certain medications used for asthma and allergies are known to block a hormone-like substance which eventually prevents hair from growing. Now the researchers are hoping to combine this knowledge with latisse and hoping to develop a treatment that can reverse hair loss and promote new hair growth.
- Cortisol-blockers – It has been long known that the stress hormone cortisol is linked to hair loss. Now the new findings suggest that by administering corticotrophin-releasing factors that inhibit cortisone production, it is possible to start the hair re-growth process. This technique has already been tested on mice and is not far from being developed as a possible hair loss cure for humans.
- Do We Have A Cure For Hereditary Hair Loss?
If you are losing hair in a pattern due to hereditary factors, then you will be able to slow it further down and even prevent it. Certain oral and topical medications can help as hereditary hair loss cure. Minoxidil is beneficial to prevent hereditary hair loss in both men and women while Finasteride is used only by men.
- Can Dermatologist Treat Hair Loss?
Yes, the dermatologists are experts who can thoroughly diagnose the type of hair loss, factors causing hair loss and the right kind of treatment needed to prevent it or reverse it. The first line of treatment prescribed by the dermatologists is generally medications in the form of creams, oral medicines or lotions. In severe cases of hair loss, the dermatologist might suggest some advanced treatment options.
- How to Cure Hair Loss Due To Hormonal Imbalance?
Hair loss due to hormonal imbalance is mainly found in females and lead to female pattern hair loss. It can be treated with certain oral contraceptives or spironolactone or some special kind of treatment prescribed by the dermatologist.
Still worried about hair fall! Visit your nearest Oliva Clinic today.