Hair loss is a very common problem that can affect both men and women from as early as in their twenties. With the development of medical science, there exists effective hair loss treatments that induce the natural growth of hair. PRP hair loss treatment, has been one of the most effective ways to address hair loss problems.
What Is PRP Hair Treatment?
The PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy for hair, uses the plasma that is rich and concentrated with hair-growth inducing platelets. It is a non-surgical treatment to restore hair and solve problems like hair loss, thinning hair line and certain cases of androgenetic alopecia. In this process the platelet-rich plasma is injected into the scalp areas using a special microneedle. This is a natural treatment that makes the use of a patient’s own blood to regrow hair. The treatment is effective on both for men and women.
Let us now understand the meaning of the term PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) and how it is produced.
- It is an increased concentration of autologous platelets, which means that the platelets belong to the patient and are not from an external source.
- The patient’s blood is collected, and the Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) from it is separated by subjecting it to centrifugation. Therefore, PRP is produced by isolating plasma from blood and concentrating it.
Benefits Of PRP Hair Loss Treatment
The advantages of PRP hair treatment include –
- Safe, effective and nonsurgical treatment for hair loss.
- The treatment doesn’t include any harmful chemicals.
- Stimulates productions of new hair cells triggering hair growth and volume.
- Responds quickly in the early stages of hair loss.
- Helps to improve patients’ appearance and self-confidence.
- The recovery period is less than an hour.
- Affordable compared to hair transplantation.
- Higher success rate. There are several studies conducted in the past that indicated a significant reduction in hair loss and an increase in the average number of hair follicles per square centimetre of the scalp.
Things To Know About PRP Therapy For Hair
- Availability – Available at popular skin clinics.
- Pain – It does not hurt beyond the sensation of a needle prick.
- Risk Factors – The PRP injection is safe with no side effects like bleeding, allergy, infection etc.
- Treatment Duration – On an average 6-8 sessions are required at one month interval. Each session lasts between an hour to an hour and a half.
- Ideal Candidate – Anyone suffering from hair loss problem. The minimum age for this treatment is 18 years.
- Tests and Medication – A blood test is necessary and ancillary medication might be prescribed by the dermatologist.
- Results – The results are visible after 3 months of undergoing the first session.
PRP Hair Treatment Procedure
The PRP hair treatment is a four-step process as explained below –
- Step 1: Collect (Blood Is Collected)
As the first step of the PRP hair loss treatment process, 30-60 ml of blood is collected from patient’s body (generally from the arm).
- Step 2: Separate (Platelets Are Separated)
The second step calls for the separation of platelet-rich plasma from the blood. The separation process of platelets from blood is done with two stages of centrifugation at varying speeds. The first spin is known as the hard spin. It separates the Platelet Poor Plasma (PPP) from the red blood cells and platelet rich plasma (PRP). The second spin is known as a soft spin. It separates the red blood cells from the PRP.
- Step 3: Extract and Activate (Platelet Rich Plasma Is Extracted From Blood And Activated)
PRP is extracted, using an injection, from the tube that contains three separated layers of PPP, PRP, and red blood cells. Before injecting the PRP into a patient’s scalp, it is activated using an activating agent.
- Step 4: Inject (Platelet Rich Plasma Is Injected Into Affected Area)
As the last step, the PRP extracted from the blood is injected safely into the affected hair loss area on the head.
PRP Hair Treatment Cost In India
The average cost of PRP therapy for hair loss is between Rs.7,000 – Rs.10,000 per session. The price of treatment depends on a number of factors including:
- Experience of dermatologist or reputation of the clinic
- Quality of equipment used for the procedure
- Cause(s) of hair loss
- Scalp area that needs treatment
- Number of sessions required
The average cost of PRP hair treatment per session in major cities across India
|City||Minimum Cost||Maximum Cost|
|Mumbai||Rs. 8300||Rs. 9800|
|Delhi||Rs. 8000||Rs. 10000|
|Kolkata||Rs. 7500||Rs. 10000|
|Chennai||Rs. 7800||Rs. 9900|
|Bangalore||Rs. 7500||Rs. 9900|
|Hyderabad||Rs. 7000||Rs. 9900|
|Pune||Rs. 7500||Rs. 10000|
|Kochi||Rs. 7800||Rs. 9750|
|Vizag||Rs. 7500||Rs. 9800|
*Based on the prices prevailing in different reputed PRP hair treatment centres across major cities in India.
Is There Any Side Effects Of PRP Treatment?
As PRP is an autologous hair loss treatment, which means the substance for treatment is derived from the patient’s own body. This eliminates any risk of allergies from harmful chemicals and foreign agents. There aren’t any major side effects from the treatment reported as yet. Most people can resume their normal activities almost immediately after having a PRP injection. The average time from blood-drawing to the injection itself is about half-an-hour.
Some patients might experience the following side effects
- Pain at the injected site
- Bruising and redness of PRP injection
- Mild irritation and headache
- Tightness of scalp
However, it is very important to get your scalp and medical history analysed from a dermatologist in order to identify any possible side effects from individual to individual basis.
PRP Hair Treatment Success Rate & Reviews
Numerous studies that have been conducted by scientists and dermatologists worldwide indicated that PRP therapy is one of the most successful non-surgical ways to treat hair loss, thinning hairline and some cases of pattern baldness. It will increase the growing phase of hair, reduces hair fall, and reverses thinning which ultimately gives density. The results of treatment is in the initial 3-4 months. Depending on the patient’s response to results, dermatologists decide the treatment course and maintenance sessions.
Reviews – According to the patients who underwent PRP hair treatment, they didn’t experience any inflammation or infection after the treatment. Considering its simplicity, safety, and cost-effectiveness, PRP hair treatment is considered a feasible treatment option for hair loss.
What Are The Before And After Results?
Depending upon the target area and hair loss reasons, the PRP treatment can be carried out in 4-6 sessions that may be repeated every two weeks. Generally, hair re-growth is visible after 2-3 sessions. The patient’s hair count increases and a significant reduction in hair loss can be observed between the first and fourth injection, especially.
However, it is important to understand that the results patients can expect from PRP hair loss treatment can vary depending on the underlying cause of their hair loss.
Also Read: How To Stop Male Pattern Baldness?
FAQs On PRP Treatment For Hair Loss
These frequently asked questions have been answered by the PRP treatment experts –
• Is PRP Treatment For Hair A Painful Procedure?
It doesn’t hurt. However, you can feel the slight pain of the needle prick. A numbing gel can be applied as per your doctor’s advice.
• How Long Does PRP Hair Treatment Take?
Depending upon your medical history and if the PRP treatment is combined with any other treatment, the duration of the treatment can vary from case to case. Generally, one session of PRP can be performed in one or one and a half hour.
• Who Is The Ideal Candidate For PRP Hair Treatment?
An ideal candidate for PRP hair treatment is someone who has small areas of alopecia areata or someone who is dealing with constant hair thinning. To undergo the treatment, your dermatologist will perform your blood test in order to know the platelet count and identify blood infections, if any.
• When Can I Expect Results From PRP Hair Treatment?
The results are visible after three months. However, it takes 6-12 months to see the full result.
• Is There A Recovery Period Or Downtime After PRP Treatments?
Fortunately, there is no recovery period or downtime after the PRP treatment. A patient is only advised to not wash the head for the next 12 or 24 hours.
Also Read: What Causes Hair Loss In Men & Women?
PRP hair treatment is considered as one of the most suitable treatments for patients of any age group. Before you head to a PRP hair restoration clinic for a consultation, you must ensure that the clinic holds a good history of performing the treatment. A full head of hair may await you, if you are willing to undergo a PRP hair restoration treatment from a reputed skin and hair clinic.