Platelet-rich plasma therapy or (PRP) is gaining popularity as an advanced method for treating patterned hair loss, hair thinning or receding hairline and delivering effective natural hair regrowth results. In this article, we will help you understand more about this procedure, along with its cost and expected results.
Things To Know About PRP Therapy For Hair
- Availability – You can opt for PRP treatment at hair clinics.
- Pain – It is a minimally invasive procedure and is virtually pain-free.
- Risk Factors – The PRP procedure is safe with no side effects like bleeding, allergy, infection, etc.
- Treatment Duration – Trichologists recommend 6-8 sessions at an interval of one month each. Each session lasts from an hour to an hour and a half.
- Ideal Candidate – Anyone suffering from patterned hair loss or androgenetic alopecia can opt for PRP. Your trichologist may recommend it after completing a thorough diagnosis by recording your medical history and conducting a trichoscopy. The minimum age for this treatment is 18 years.
- Tests and Medication – A blood test is necessary, and your dermatologist might prescribe ancillary medication.
- Results – The results are visible after three months of undergoing the first session.
“A timely check of hair fall will help you prevent baldness. Take action today and investigate the real cause of hair fall. CLICK HERE to book an appointment with an experienced dermatologist today.”
PRP Hair Treatment Procedure
The PRP hair treatment is a four-step process as explained below –
- Collection Of Blood Sample:
As the first step of the PRP hair loss treatment process, your doctor will take a 20 ml blood sample.
- Separation Of Platelets:
Dermatologists use the centrifuge technique for the separation of platelets from the blood. The double spin method ensures the optimal concentration of platelets that are rich in growth factors.
- Extraction and Activation Of PRP From The Blood:
Doctors extract Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) from the remaining layers of Platelet Poor Plasma (PPP), and red blood cells in the tube. Before injecting the PRP into a patient’s scalp, trichologists activate the growth factors in the plasma using an activating agent.
- Insertion Of PRP Into Affected Area With Injections:
In the last step, dermatologists inject the PRP extracted from the blood safely into the affected area on the scalp with the use of microneedles. Before inserting the platelet-rich plasma, your dermatologist will administer local anaesthesia into the scalp margin, so that you don’t feel any pain.
#PRP Hair Regrowth Therapy is a safe non-surgical treatment that would be effective for controlling hair loss. Watch this video to learn more#
Now that you know all about the PRP treatment process, it’s time to learn about the cost involved.
PRP Hair Loss Treatment Cost In India
The average cost of PRP hair treatment in India ranges between Rs.4,500 – Rs.15,000 per session across several hair clinics. The price of treatment depends on several factors, including the following:
- Experience of dermatologist or reputation of the clinic
- Quality of equipment used for the procedure
- Number of sessions required
The average cost of PRP hair treatment in India per session
|Hyderabad||Rs. 5000||Rs. 12,000|
|Bangalore||Rs. 5300||Rs. 13,500|
|Chennai||Rs. 4800||Rs. 12,500|
|Pune||Rs. 5000||Rs. 14,000|
|Kolkata||Rs. 5250||Rs. 13,000|
|Kochi||Rs. 5000||Rs. 12,000|
|Vizag||Rs. 4700||Rs. 11,500|
|Mumbai||Rs. 4,500||Rs. 14,000|
|Delhi||Rs. 4000||Rs. 15,000|
*Based on the prices prevailing in different reputed PRP hair treatment centres across major cities in India.
PRP Hair Treatment Success Rate & Reviews
Numerous studies worldwide indicate that PRP therapy is one of the most successful non-surgical methods to treat hair loss, thinning hair and pattern baldness. It will increase the duration of the growth phase of hair, reduce hair fall, and reverse thinning to an extent which ultimately helps in improving the scalp coverage by boosting natural hair regrowth. After the initial sessions, you will notice a reduction in hair fall. The result of treatment is evident after the third session as you will start noticing visible hair regrowth.
Depending on the grade of hair loss and degree of thinning of hair, your dermatologist will decide the number of sessions of PRP you require; and maintenance sessions if any; along with the necessary medical treatment in the form of topical applicants and oral medications etc.
According to a 2015 study of males with patterned hair loss in Italy, PRP treatment helped in increasing the hair density on target areas of the scalp, and the results were evident after three months. Considering its simplicity, safety, and cost-effectiveness, doctors consider PRP hair treatment a feasible treatment option for patterned hair loss not only in males but females as well, along with the adjuvant medications.
What Are The Before And After Results?
The before and after pictures depict the results of this non-surgical hair growth restoration treatment. As visible below, PRP helps reverse early stages of balding though results may vary from individual to individual.
Also Read: How To Stop Male Pattern Baldness?
Who Should Not Go For PRP Treatment?
PRP hair treatment procedure is not suitable for the following people–
- Heavy smokers
- Those diagnosed with medical disorders such as platelet dysfunction syndromes, thrombocytopenias, hypofibrinogenaemia, hemodynamic instability, sepsis, acute infections, chronic liver disease and cancer should avoid opting for PRP. It is also not advisable for those undergoing anti coagulation therapy and those on blood thinners.
PRP is the safest non-surgical method of treating acute hair thinning and reversing balding. If you are noticing a receding hairline and increasing hair loss, then consult an experienced trichologist today and find out if PRP treatment is suitable for you.