Dark Circles Under Eyes: Causes, Treatments, Cost and Procedure
Dark circles are one of the most common aesthetic concerns due to changes in modern lifestyle, stress, increased screen time, nutritional deficiencies and more. Most men and women use concealers to hide the hyperpigmentation around their eyes temporarily. Though not a health condition, dark circles can make you look old, unhealthy and tired.
At Oliva Skin & Hair Clinic, advanced USFDA-approved treatments are available for safely and effectively reducing dark circles and delivering long-lasting satisfaction.
What Are Dark Circles Under Your Eyes?
Dark circles can result from brownish to bluish skin tone or a shadowing effect in the eye area. They can lead to a tired, old and sickly appearance. Though not a health condition, it may be a significant facial aesthetic concern. Dark circles may become challenging to treat and require advanced procedures performed by a qualified medical professional.
The condition, also known as Periorbital Hyperpigmentation (POH), Periorbital Melanosis, Infraorbital Darkening and Infraorbital Discolouration, affects up to 48% of people in the 16-25 age group.
What Are The Types Of Dark Circles?
Dark circles can be of three types:
- Vascular Dark Circles: This refers to bluish discolouration around the eyes due to increased visibility of blood vessels. It occurs due to ageing-related collagen and elastin loss in the eye area, which makes the overlying skin thinner.
- Pigmented Dark Circles: Dark brown pigmentation secondary to contact dermatitis occurs around the eyes due to friction or frequent rubbing and cosmetic allergy. Tan and pigmentary demarcation lines (PDL) may be other causes of hyperpigmentation around the eyes.
- Structural Dark Circles: Hollowness or tear trough formation under the eyes, skin sag and fine lines due to ageing may cause a shadowing effect. Puffiness may occur due to the collection of fluid or fat under the eyes. Volume loss in facial tissues is a common sign of ageing that may cause dark circles.
What Are The Causes Of Dark Circles?
There are various causes of dark circles, including the following:
- Genetics or family history of dark circles
- Ageing can make pigmentary demarcation lines and dark circles noticeable due to any of the following:
- prominent vasculature
- tear trough formation
- thinning of skin due to collagen, elastin or fat loss
- fine lines
- Side effects of drugs, especially those used for reducing ocular hypertension
- Contact dermatitis, e.g., due to allergic reaction to eye makeup
- Atopic dermatitis
- Refractive error
- Disorders like anaemia because of nutritional deficiencies and dehydration
- Thyroid hormone imbalance
- Periorbital oedema or fluid retention due to hypertension and kidney or liver disorder
- Obesity and insulin resistance may make the under-eye skin appear thick, pigmented and velvety due to a skin condition called acanthosis nigricans
- Inadequate/ improper sleeping habits
- Increased eye strain
- Excessive sun exposure
- Friction due to the habit of rubbing the eyes frequently
- Smoking or alcohol consumption
Who Is At Higher Risk Of Having Dark Circles?
You have an increased risk of having dark circles if you come under any of the below categories:
- You are an older adult.
- You have a positive family history of dark circles.
- You have a dark skin tone with a tendency to develop post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Dark Circle Treatments Available At Oliva:
There are many USFDA-approved advanced aesthetic treatments available at Oliva for reducing dark circles effectively and safely, including:
- Topical Applicants: Qualified dermatologists may prescribe creams with skin-lightening benefits to reduce dark circles containing powerful ingredients like kojic acid, retinoids, azelaic acid, arbutin, Vitamin C and They may cause skin irritation, so one must use them under medical supervision to avoid side effects.
- Oral Medications: Our experienced medical experts may ask for blood investigations to check for underlying conditions like hypothyroidism, insulin resistance or any nutritional deficiency that may be causing dark circles. Accordingly, they may suggest suitable treatments or medicines.
- Chemical Peels: Leading dermatologists at Oliva are adept at using different concentrations and types of chemical peels to alleviate your superficial pigmentation without causing any irritation in the delicate eye area. They customise your chemical peel treatment and may recommend lactic acid peel followed by AHA (alpha-hydroxyl acid) peel or TCA (Trichloroacetic) peel based on the skin type, cause and severity of the condition.
Watch this video to learn all about the benefits and procedure of chemical peel treatment:
- Microneedling Radiofrequency: Expert dermatologists at Oliva use USFDA-approved Secret RF technology to perform a minimally invasive treatment in the under-eye area and reduce skin laxity by increasing collagen and elastin stimulation.
- Hyaluronic Fillers: Oliva’s medical experts can reverse the shadowing effect and tear trough formation due to ageing by injecting hyaluronic fillers that give instant results by lifting and volumising the sagging skin in the under-eye area.
- Botox: Our dermatologists recommend Botox treatment to alleviate fine wrinkles around the eye area, like crow’s feet.
What Is The Dark Circle Treatment Procedure At Oliva?
If you enrol for top-class dark circle treatment at Oliva, you can expect the below protocol at par with global safety standards:
- Comprehensive consultation
- A customised treatment that includes suitable modality as solo or combo procedures and predetermined sessions of each based on the cause, type and severity of your condition
- Pre-care guidance
- Scheduled sessions
- Post-care support
- Follow-up sessions
Why Choose Oliva?
Here are several reasons that make Oliva the best clinic for dark circle treatment:
- We have the largest team of 100+ dermatologists trained in providing customised care.
- We offer USFDA-approved treatment options with proven safety and efficacy to treat the delicate skin in the eye area.
- Oliva is synonymous with world-class treatments with extensive pre- and post-care support that assure you of the best results minus major side effects.
- Each of our 23 clinics has state-of-the-art infrastructure to safeguard client privacy and comfort during the treatment.
- We enjoy an overwhelming 91% satisfaction rating voted by over 3,000,00 loyal customers for providing excellent medico-aesthetic services for 13+ years.
- Oliva Skin & Hair Clinic is the most trusted brand for advanced skin and hair services and the winner of the Times Of India’s No 1 dermatology clinic chain award.
How To Get Started?
You can fill out the Book Appointment form or call the toll-free number 📞1800-103-3893 to schedule your visit to any of our clinics across 23 locations in Hyderabad, Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Pune, Vizag and Kochi. Our customer care team will be happy to help you plan your consultation with our expert dermatologists and seek a customised treatment based on your preferred time, place and location.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The cost of dark circle treatment starts from INR 3350 and may be up to INR 3850 per session.
*The price range mentioned here is suggestive only, based on current market trends and may change shortly. It strictly does not apply to the dark circle treatment at Oliva as we provide customised solutions, and the price remains subjective based on the skin type, cause, severity and type of the condition, modality selected as solo or combo procedures and the number of sessions.
Click here to know the exact cost of your customised dark circle treatment.
Poor intake of essential nutrients like iron and Vitamin B12 may cause dark circles.
The results of dark circle treatment depend on the cause, type and severity of the condition and the modality selected. However, improving your nutritional intake, hydration, sleep, and lifestyle habits can help prolong the results. Your doctor may advise maintenance sessions if needed.
Healthy sleeping habits, balanced nutrition and lifestyle may help reduce and prevent dark circles.
Massaging doesn’t remove dark circles. Excessive rubbing can cause friction-induced dark circles. Instead of trying self-care methods and home remedies with unproven safety and efficacy, opt for early medical help for the best results of advanced treatments.
Vitamin E is an anti-oxidant. It cannot alone remove dark circles. However, vital supplements can increase your nutritional intake with a balanced diet. Your doctor can diagnose any underlying deficiencies and prescribe nutritional medicines to improve your health.
written by Dr. T N Rekha Singh
October 28, 2022
Chemical Peel: Benefits, Procedure And Side Effects
Chemical peel, also known as chemexfoliation or derma peeling, is a clinical procedure that makes use of plant-based chemical solutions...Read More
written by Kushneet Kukreja
April 30, 2022
How Much Does Chemical Peeling Cost In India?
Are you aware a chemical peel treatment helps in controlled exfoliation to improve the tone and texture of your skin?...Read More
written by Dr. T N Rekha Singh
March 28, 2023
What Is the Cost Of Skin Whitening Treatment In India?
With the increased options for various skin whitening treatments available globally, it has become easier than ever to restore the...Read More
written by Kushneet Kukreja
July 08, 2022
Best Ways To Get Rid Of Pigmentation On Face
Indians love fair skin, and we know so by looking at all ours ads and commercials that flood the television...Read More