Is Your Skin Care Right for Your Age?
Everybody has their own skin care regime which they follow diligently. A majority of us start focusing on our personal skin care routine right from the time we hit our teens as that is when our skin goes through various changes. Now, there are few of us who stick to the old tried and tested methods and never change them. Though it might sound like a good practice since your skin is already used to these products, in reality, you might be actually harming your skin.
As we age, our skin also ages and starts changing and in order to keep it healthy and glowing, it is very important to adopt the right skin care routine in accordance to your age. For example, the way you care for your skin during your later 50s will be very different from how you used to care for it during your early 20s. It is not necessary that the skin care products used during your 20s would suit your skin when you are 50 years and above. Which is why, it is extremely important to keep modifying and changing your skin care routine to match your age.
Below is a brief glimpse on how to care for your skin during different stages of your life. Though there are a number of skin care products and skin care treatments such as botulinum toxin, fillers, lasers, skin tightening, etc., you should be well-aware of; at what age these products and treatments would be apt for your skin –
During your 20s
- This is the age when you should have already started using a sunscreen on your face, neck, hands, chest, etc.
- Since breakouts are quite common during this ageto use a toner which contains salicylic acid
- Moisturizers and antioxidants should be an important part of your skin care regimen
- Do not opt for unnecessary treatments when there is no need for it.
During your 30s
- Continue to keep that sunscreen as a part of your skin care regimen. You should ideally use a sunscreen with SPF 30-50 and keep re-touching it every few hours (as mentioned on the product)
- Once you hit your 30s and as you age, you will notice frown lines, upper lip lines, crow’s feet, etc., on your skin. You can start investing in small doses of skin care treatment to resolve these problems. However, remember that not everybody will have these skin problems
- Another great skin care product that you should use during your 30s is a skin-brightening product which includes ingredients such as hydroquinone, arbutin or licorice.
During your 40s
- No matter what age you are, a sunscreen with SPF 30-50 should always be a part of your skin care routine
- During your 40s, it is advisable to use a hydrating toner
- You can continue to use your skin brightening product even when you are in your 40s
- Make way for anti-aging products which mainly contain ingredients like Vitamin C, retinoids and alpha-hydroxy acids as these products can help in smoothening out the wrinkles and fine lines
- For people who are dealing with sagging skin, opt for skin treatments such as fillers to improve the skin texture.
During your 50s
- Once you are in your 50s, you should continue the same skin care routine that you have been practicing since your 40s
- One thing that you need to add here is a heavy moisturizer to deal with all the dryness of the skin. The best moisturizers would be those which contain glycerin and hyaluronic acid.
The above mentioned tips are generic and hence, you should first understand your skin tone and texture before you start following any particular skin care regime. Since, every individual’s skin is different, it is not mandatory what works for one of you will work for everyone else also.
Couple of points which you should keep in mind, irrespective of your age, include –
- Always talk to your dermatologist before trying out any new product
- Allow your skin to get used to the product and this can take anywhere between 1 – 3 months
- Limit yourself to trying out only one new skin care product at a time.
Taking care of our skin is a part of our daily lives and hence, it is important to ensure that you use the right skin care routine according to your age.