Dealing with one hair problem is tough enough, but two together; truly diabolical! Dandruff is embarrassing with flakes falling around constantly but did you know that dandruff can also cause major hair loss? Yes, it may lead to other scalp infections too. So it is important to pay careful attention to the early signs of dandruff and get them treated to prevent its severe impacts.
Does Dandruff Cause Hair Loss?
Either can arise first and give way to the other, but a lot depends on the root cause. And thus the treatment must be given accordingly. So if you are suffering from dandruff then it may lead upto hair loss and if you have hair loss then you may see dandruff too.
With dandruff, come along dry, itchy scalp that can weaken hair roots and cause hair fall. Thus dandruff can indirectly cause hair thinning and hair loss.
Whereas if you are losing more hair than natural, then the medication used to control hair loss can be the culprit behind dandruff. Follicle enriching shampoos and hair loss treatment such as Minoxidil may also cause excessive scalp dryness leading to dandruff in some cases. Inform your dermatologist immediately if your scalp is becoming dry and itchy with flakes falling around you. The dermatologist will be able to modify your medication that will prevent dandruff from appearing.
Also Read: Know The Best Hair Loss Treatment Available
Hair Loss And Dandruff – The Connection
Dandruff can weaken your hair roots and cause it to fall quickly. Dandruff may not be directly linked to hair, but certain issues related to dandruff may cause your hair to shed.
• Prolonged case of dandruff can block the hair follicles from receiving necessary nutrients which can eventually cause the hair to shed.
• Another reason behind dandruff causing hair loss is that severe cases of dandruff (also known as seborrhoea dermatitis) can damage or destroy hair follicles. This can lead to heavy hair fall and even baldness.
• Lastly psoriasis and dandruff pose similar symptoms wherein the scalp becomes dry and itchy as well as flaky. Such symptoms can irritate the scalp and develop an urge scratch your scalp, all leading to major hair loss problems.
Treatment For Dandruff And Hair Fall
When it comes to solving two problems at once, it may seem daunting. But none the less, there are hair treatments for dandruff and hair fall. Remember to use such products under the recommendation and supervision of an experienced dermatologist. Self-medication can lead to further problems.
Here are some ways to get rid of dandruff and hair fall –
- Finasteride – An excellent medication used to treat hair loss without the side-effect of causing scalp dryness. It can be used to control hair loss easily but must be used cautiously.
- Over the counter anti-dandruff shampoos – These are enriched with ingredients such as selenium sulphide, ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione and salicylic acid. Check which shampoo is best suited to remove dandruff from your scalp. Make sure you leave the shampoo on your scalp for 4-5 minutes before rinsing the product.
- Medical treatment – If all other treatments fail, ask your dermatologist for a stronger medication. You can use topical steroids if your dandruff and hair loss problems continue to persist. Dandruff is more of a cosmetic disease that is not contagious or problematic but if left untreated for long, it can cause other scalp disorders which eventually can lead up to hair loss.
How To Prevent Hair Fall And Dandruff?
Dandruff can never be cured, but only controlled with diligent medical and cosmetic treatments. If that’s the case, then the best option for those who are suffering from dandruff and hair loss is to prevent further damage by incorporating the tips mentioned below –
- Regular massage – Not only is it stress busting but regular scalp massage can increase blood circulation and help spread the natural oil production all over the scalp. This will cease the hair loss and moisturize the scalp, thereby reducing dandruff. Massages can be done in the shower, this will help loosen dry flakes and make it easier to wash away.
- Eat better – What you consume is what shows up on your body. Intake of certain nutrients such as zinc, omega 3 fatty acids and B-vitamins have shown positive results in reducing dandruff and curbing hair loss. They can even help grow healthier and stronger hair. Talk to your dermatologist and dietician before adding supplements or changing your diet.
- Sweat it out – It may seem like hard work, but daily exercise and fitness routine, has more benefits than just toning your body. Exercising causes the body to sweat, which helps in opening your skin pores. When the pores are open, the body can excrete out the dirt and toxins in the form of perspiration. The same logic is applied to the scalp, where the body throws out dandruff flakes and prevents hair loss.
- Wash regularly – Daily hair wash is going to strip your scalp off natural oils and cause it to dry out eventually leading to dandruff. The better option would be to wash your hair 2-3 times a week in order to control dandruff. Use dermatologically approved shampoos to remove dandruff instead of using commercial shampoos which may aggravate the situation further. They can cause more harm and even create more dandruff.
- De-stress – Stress can trigger hormonal imbalance and adrenaline fatigue. Such health conditions can create and worsen dandruff. Opt for holistic ways to reduce stress and prevent dandruff and hair loss.
If you are suffering from severe dandruff and hair loss, then visit your local dermatologist and find solution for all your hair problems today. In-time treatments will help you regain your crowning glory.