Acne is the most common problem faced by almost 75% of Indians, and we don’t really know how to handle it because we are unsure of its actual cause. While you may not be at fault for causing acne, but you don’t have to be helpless about it either. You can battle it by following a healthy skin care routine, a balanced diet, and a few Powerful home remedies for acne that will help you reduce pimples if not completely banish them.
10 Best Home Remedies For Pimples
- Green Tea – Green tea is beneficial both ways – when consumed and when applied topically. Its antimicrobial and antioxidant properties help in fighting acne by improving the immune system and reducing inflammation. It is recommended to have three cups of green tea daily for it to detoxify and cleanse the body, and help you in overcoming the acne problem by clearing your skin from the inside. Additionally, after a nice cup of hot green tea, cool the tea bags and lay them over the affected area to let it treat you inside out.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe vera is a magic plant that has the power to heal almost any kind of skin problem. Its burn-relieving properties helps in fighting and healing infection and also reducing scarring. Scrape the gel from the leaf of the plant and apply it on the affected area. It acts as a healthy food for your skin and soothes the irritation and inflammation caused by acne, healing it in this process. Rubbing the aloe vera gel on your skin will not only help you in you combat acne but also lighten your acne marks.
- Take A Fish Oil Supplement – Fish oil is high in anti-inflammatory properties that can improve acne. You can either take supplements that are high in omega-3 fatty acids or follow a diet that is rich in it, for example salmon, albacore tuna, flaxseeds, and walnuts. The supplements are to be consumed everyday with breakfast, and you will see visible results in a month or two.
- Follow A Low Glycemic Load Diet – Food with higher glycemic index tends to increase the glucose present in the bloodstream and therefore produces higher insulin levels, which can lead to inflammation, weight gain, and resistance to store sugar (leading to diabetes). A spike in sugar levels present in your blood results in inflammation that causes acne. Therefore, follow a diet with low glycemic index values, which includes low-carb foods like fish, meat, spinach and all the greens, etc.
- Reduce Stress – Acne and stress go hand in hand like thunder and lightning, one is most certainly followed by the other. We are better without these two things, but unfortunately, all too often they show up at about the same time. Stress interferes with the daily functioning of the body and messes up many of the body’s systems. Skin is one such organ that is affected easily and often presents this in the form of acne. Dealing with both acne and stress together can be overwhelming, hence try your best to relieve the stress by getting rid of the factors causing it.
- Lemon – Lemon is rich in vitamin C and it helps in reducing inflammation and swelling. Its antimicrobial properties aid in dealing with bacteria that cause pimples. You can dab lemon juice on the affected area by using a cotton ball, even on places that are difficult to reach, like a pimple behind your ear. Too much of lemon application might dry your skin out, therefore limit the usage to two times in a day.
- Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil is the most common essential oil used for acne due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It can be applied on the forehead, chin, cheeks, and other affected areas. Tea tree oil is a versatile antimicrobial agent infused with antioxidants that makes it a perfect treatment for fighting acne and also for promoting healthy skin. You need to reapply the oil every few hours on the affected area, until you notice the acne clearing up. If you have sensitive skin, dilute this essential oil with virgin coconut oil or olive oil before applying it.
- Garlic – Garlic is known for its antibacterial properties. You can make a paste out of garlic cloves by adding a little bit of water. This paste can be used on the affected area (including the scalp) to not only diminish acne but also prevent future breakouts. Ensure to not directly rub garlic on your skin, as it may cause blisters. With the help of the garlic and water paste you can flatten your pimples almost overnight.
- Baking Soda – Baking soda is known to dry the pimple out and also to restore the skin’s pH to an optimum level. Additionally, it is also an anti-inflammatory agent. You can mix a tablespoon of baking soda with lukewarm water to make a paste, and apply this paste on the affected area for about five minutes before you wash it off with warm water. Applying this paste once in a day on the pimple restores the pH of your skin and also thoroughly exfoliates it.
- Ice Cubes – Ice cubes help with toning down the inflammation by having a soothing effect on the pimple. You can wrap a couple of ice cubes in a soft and clean piece of cloth and dab it all over your face repeatedly for a few minutes. Doing this everyday will not only relax you, but will also calm your pimples down to negligible size.
How To Stop Getting Pimples?
- Keep Your Face Clean – The pollution out there is not new to you, and therefore it is very important to keep your face clean so as to prevent your pores from being clogged. Invest in a good facewash that deeply cleanses your pores, removes the extra oil and dirt but does not dry your skin out. You can use gentle cleansers along with topical creams like benzoyl peroxide to keep acne at bay.
- Moisturize – There is a misconception that as the skin is already oily, moisturizing would make it worse. But failing to moisturize your skin may lead to overproduction of oil in the system to compensate for the moisturization needed by your skin. Keep your skin hydrated by using water-based moisturizers that are oil-free.
- Exercises – Exercise is one way to sweat it out and throw the toxins out of your body. It also helps to calm your mind and body by relieving both physical and mental stress. For the busy bees, a 30-minute walking session followed by a little meditation can do wonders. Yoga is another option that can help in relaxing and balancing the body’s systems with poses like the Triangle Pose and the Child’s Pose. With a little guidance, simple poses like these can be done at home.
- Sleep – Sleep deprivation can ruin your skin and make it age faster than it should with additional dark circles, baggy eyes, dull skin, and acne as a bonus. Less sleep increases your stress levels and worsens the acne condition for you. So, ensure to sleep for at least six to eight hours every night. Dim the lights, keep the phone aside, make yourself comfortable, and let your skin get the beauty sleep it deserves.
- Avoid Smoking/Alcohol – Excessive smoking and alcohol can cause hindrance to the normal functioning of the body and disrupt the immune system, making your skin vulnerable to ailments and thus trigger acne. Don’t worry, a glass of wine won’t hurt anyone, but ensure you don’t cross the limits of it.
Also Read: Daily Skin Care Routine For Acne Prone Skin
Effective Tips To Prevent Pimples
These are a list of to-dos that, if followed religiously, can help you prevent acne –
- Thoroughly wash your face with cold water two times a day, so as to close the open pores of your skin.
- Use the time-tested medical creams such as benzoyl peroxide on the affected area.
- Try applying a face mask at least once a week to help you in removing dirt and cleaning up your pores.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water to keep yourself hydrated and to flush the toxins out of your body.
- Steam your face every alternate day to open pores and effectively remove blackheads.
- Religiously clean your makeup with rosewater before hitting the bed.
- Have a diet that is rich in vitamin A, vitamin E, and zinc. The food recommendations have been mentioned in the nutrition and diet section.
- Start your day with warm water with a dash of lemon, which will purify your system and help maintain the pH balance of the skin as well.
- Reduce the amount of salt intake as sodium not only leads to weight gain, it also leads to acne.
Also Read: Homemade DIY Face Masks To Cure Acne
Acne is a problematic issue – it is for your skin like corruption is for India. It isn’t your fault, but you are not totally helpless in dealing with it either. A healthy diet and a few skin care techniques can remarkably reduce acne. Additionally, you have extra help with the technology improving day-by-day, so you can visit your nearest dermatologist to get some extra help in dealing with this problem.