Some people tend to have darker skin on their neck when compared to their overall skin tone, and this may be an aesthetic concern. While it looks embarrassing, there is a pressing need to remove blackness from neck.
Symptoms Of Dark Neck
• Skin Darkening – It may not be a build up of dirt and grime. Your neck should be examined by a dermatologist for any sign of pigmentation.
• Thick Skin – The skin texture feels thicker and sometimes rougher when touched. This maybe a symptom of black neck.
• Itching – In some cases, a black neck is also accompanied by incessant itching, which worsens the condition of skin on your neck.
• Velvety Skin – Due to the change in the thickness of the skin, the darkened skin on neck might feel velvety when you touch it.
Also Read: Laser Treatment To Remove Dark Neck
What Are The Causes For Dark Neck?
• Acanthosis Nigricans – This is a condition which causes your skin to turn darker, thicker and velvety in texture. In people with diabetes or under pre-diabetic condition, this skin condition is prominent. Drugs and supplements such as birth control pills, niacin, corticosteroids, prednisone, etc., can also cause acanthosis nigricans as a side-effect.
• Dermatitis Neglecta – Dermatitis neglecta or unwashed dermatosis is a skin condition wherein the colour of your skin changes due to poor hygiene habits, such as irregular washing. This leads to the build-up of dirt, bacteria, sweat, and sebum (a natural oil secreted by our glands) on the skin.
• Hyperpigmentation – The skin goes dark from side-effects due to the use of certain drugs such as antimalarials, tetracyclines, amiodarone, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, phenytoin, antipsychotic drugs, etc.
• Sun Exposure – Overexposure to sun rays can lead to the darkening of the skin on the back of your neck. Excess tanning, makes your skin appear darker than the surrounding areas.
• Chemicals – The chemicals used in various skin care products and cosmetics can cause the darkening of the skin. Check with your dermatologist before choosing any such product.
• Infections – Fungal infections or eczema can also result in dark and sometimes black neck.
• Pregnancy – During their pregnancy, a woman’s body goes through hormonal changes, which can be due to excessive production of melanin, the main pigment that determines the color of our skin.
Also Read: How To Remove Dark Spots From Face?
How Can You Diagnose Darkened Skin On Neck?
Even though dark neck is not necessarily a skin disease, it is advised to consult your Dermatologist, as it might be an indication of an underlying condition. If blackening of neck is caused due to acanthosis nigricans, your skin doctor might be able to treat it effectively, through early diagnosis. Other ways to diagnose a dark neck is to check for diabetes, conduct blood tests, X-rays, etc.
How To Get Rid Of Dark Skin On Neck?
• Laser Therapy – Laser therapy is the ideal treatment for black skin abound neck, caused by acanthosis nigricans. An experienced dermatologist can help you in improving the skin’s complexion, with the help of laser treatment.
• Chemical Peels – Chemical peels, for dark skin around neck are quite popular and effective, in improving their appearance. Organized by the strength of the chemical mixture, there are different types of chemicals peels available. The severity of pigmentation on your neck will determine the number of sessions that you will require, to lighten the area.
• Microdermabrasion – This cosmetic treatment is a form of exfoliation which is performed by trained dermatologists. This procedure helps in removing the upper layer of dark skin, thereby improving the skin’s state of pigmentation.
• Medication – Certain medicines with lactic acid, glycolic acid, and tretinoin can be effective in dealing with darkened skin around neck. You can also use lotions and skin lightening creams which contain hydro-7.
For pregnant women, the skin color around neck will normalize in a few months after delivery. However, if there is no change in pigmentation, it is recommended to consult a dermatologist.
How Much Does Dark Neck Treatment Cost In India?
The cost of dark neck treatment in india ranges between Rs. 3500 to Rs. 5000 per session. However the total cost varies based on factors like skin type, procedure you choose, experience of dermatologist and underlying health conditions.
How To Avoid Dark Skin On Neck ?
• Remember that the skin on your neck is similar to your facial skin; and hence, give same care and attention. Diligently clean the back of your neck thoroughly with facial cleansers and other products, recommended by your Dermatologist.
• Use sunscreen on the back of your neck, as well, to protect the skin from getting tanned or darkened.
• Avoid wearing clothes, which are tight around your neck area, as this will decrease the accumulation of skin impurities. Instead, opt for clothes which have a wider neckline.
• If you are diabetic or obese, weight loss can also help in reducing the darkness of the skin on the back of your neck, due to an improvement in circulation.
• Wear hats with a wide brim, to protect your neck when you are out in the sun.
Also Read: Why Should You Wear Sunscreen?
A little bit of extra care and attention is all you need to avoid the occurrence of dark pigmentation around neck . ‘Prevention is better than cure’, hence, make sure you follow a good skincare routine. However, it is recommended to consult your Dermatologist to determine if there are any underlying causes such as diabetes, liver disease or any other health conditions.