Tanning is a common skin problem that all individuals face and think that they have to live with it especially if they reside in tropical regions of the world. However, this is not true, and there are options to help remove the pigmentation issues you face with ease. Go ahead and read the article to find out safe and effective methods to ban the tan.
What Is Tanning?
Tanning is the process of an increase in the skin pigment called melanin due to sun exposure. While tanning can also be a result of artificial skin tanning services, through the use of a tanning lamp found in tanning beds, the major cause of tanning is excessive exposure to sunlight. It causes the darkening of the skin on exposed areas majorly on the face, arms, hands, legs, feet, back, and neck.
How Does Tanning Happen?
The solar spectrum consists of several wavelengths of which ultraviolet radiation is important to cause skin effects. UV radiation has three wavelengths UVA, UVB and UVC. UVB rays burn the skin while UVA rays darken the skin and cause photo ageing. When UVA rays penetrate the layers of the skin, they stimulate the melanocytes to produce excess melanin, which further darkens due to oxidation and causes tanning. They also cause damage to collagen.
Also Read : Best Treatment To Get Rid Of Sun Tan
Why Should You Treat Your Tanned Skin?
It is important to treat your tanned skin to avoid further skin damage, skin ageing, skin cancer, negative impacts on the immune system, etc.
How To Remove Sun Tan?
It is a popular belief that tanning is irreversible. However, that is not true. Find out here what you can do to treat tanned skin. There are several products, treatments, and solutions to reduce the pigmentation caused due to tanning. Any method to treat tan reduces the dead skin cells and washes out the excess accumulated melanin. Thus, they also provide a uniform tone to the skin and reduce the effects of ageing.
Listed below are some of the best treatments to remove tan from your face, neck, hands, feet and full arms.
Sun Tan Removal Treatments:
- Laser toning – This treatment uses a laser device with a Q Switched YAG laser to break down the pigment and reduce tan, sun spots, etc.
- Chemical Peels – These peels help exfoliate and rejuvenate skin cells. Peels with different concentration strengths help to treat dark and tanned skin by removing the superficial dead skin layers that have excessive melanin.
Also Read: Types Of Chemical Peels
- Microdermabrasion – This is also an exfoliating treatment, which is effective in removing the tan and dead skin cells.
Alternative Methods To Remove Sun Tan
Here are some alternative sun tan removal solutions:
- Tan Removal Creams – There are various sun tan removal creams and bleaches available in the market. Sadly, they only serve as a short-term solution. Tanning goes beyond the top layers of skin, affecting the deeper layers as These creams may treat the surface layers; however, they do not penetrate and treat the deeper layers, due to which they never treat tan effectively. Moreover, you should only use them under the supervision of a dermatologist.
- Face Pack, Wax and Face Wash – You can get different face packs and face washes to remove skin tan. However, just like the creams, their effect is short-lived, and despite all the claims of deep cleansing, they hardly do so. The major limitation of using face packs, wax, and face washes is that they affect only the top layers of skin. These are just superficial treatments, which do not treat the root cause of the problem.
- Home Remedies – Home remedies are often popular. These remedies, which have natural ingredients, may provide temporary relief but they do not have any scientifically proven efficacy.
Some of the common side effects of these alternative methods may be a burning sensation, skin irritation and allergies. After a temporary period of skin lightening, the original pigmentation usually returns and sometimes in patches making it difficult to treat the area.
Also Read: Best Treatment For Pigmentation On Face
Tan Removal Treatment Cost In India
The average cost of a sun tan removal treatment in India varies between Rs. 1,500 – Rs. 3,000 per session for chemical peeling and Rs. 4,000 – Rs. 10,000 per session for laser treatment. A tan removal product or cream can cost you between Rs. 100 and Rs. 3,000. The price of the procedure varies based on your skin type, areas of tan on the body, the intensity of the tan and the experience of the dermatologist.
How Are The Before And After Results?
The duration of a sun tan removal treatment depends on the type of procedure as well as the area to be treated.
- Chemical Peels – Post your chemical peel treatment, usually after 1-2 sessions, you will notice a visible reduction in your skin tan. Dermatologists usually use chemical peels to remove sun tan from the face, and they might recommend you to undergo 4-6 sessions to see the results.
- Laser Toning – Post your laser toning treatment, you will immediately notice that there is a visible reduction of tan. Depending on the area of the body, you may require 4-6 sessions.
- Microdermabrasion – You may require 4-6 sessions of the microdermabrasion treatment to attain a visible reduction in your tan.
How To Prevent Sun Tanning?
Here are some of the preventive measures that one should follow to avoid skin tanning:
- Apply sunscreen lotion with an SPF above 30 once every 3 hours. Apply it at least 20-30 minutes before stepping outdoors.
- Avoid going outdoors during peak hours of sunlight.
- Wear clothes to protect your skin against tanning.
- Use a broad-brimmed hat, sunglasses, stoles, etc., when you are out in the sun.
Procedural treatments such as laser toning, chemical peels, etc. not only remove the tan but will also rejuvenate, lighten, improve, and make your skin smooth and glowing.
Now, that the summers are here, let not the scorching sunrays take a toll on your skin health. Seek professional dermatological care to say goodbye to tanned skin today!