Tanning is a common skin problem that all individuals face and think that they have to live with it especially if they reside in tropical regions of the world. However, this is not true, and there are options to help remove the pigmentation issues you face with ease. Go ahead and read the article to find out safe and effective methods to remove skin tan.
What Is Tanning?
Tanning is the process of an increase in the skin pigment called melanin due to sun exposure. While tanning can also be a result of artificial skin tanning services, through the use of a tanning lamp found in tanning beds, the major cause of tanning is excessive exposure to sunlight. It causes the darkening of the skin on exposed areas majorly on the face, arms, hands, legs, feet, back, and neck.
Must Read: Which Treatment Is Best For Lightening Skin?
How Does Tanning Happen?
The solar spectrum consists of several wavelengths of which ultraviolet radiation is important to cause skin effects. UV radiation has three wavelengths UVA, UVB and UVC. UVB rays burn the skin while UVA rays darken the skin and cause photo ageing. When UVA rays penetrate the layers of the skin, they stimulate the melanocytes to produce excess melanin, which further darkens due to oxidation and causes tanning. They also cause damage to collagen.
Why Should You Treat Your Tanned Skin?
It is important to treat your tanned skin to avoid further skin damage, skin ageing, skin cancer, negative impacts on the immune system, etc.
How To Remove Sun Tan From Face And Body?
It is a popular belief that sun tanning is irreversible. However, that is not true. Find out here what you can do to treat sun tanned skin. There are several products, treatments, and solutions to reduce the pigmentation caused due to sun tan. Any method to treat tan involves exfoliation of the dead skin cells and washes out the excess accumulated melanin. Thus, these also provide a uniform tone to the skin and reduce the effects of ageing. Listed below are some of the best treatments to remove tan from your face, neck, hands, feet and full arms.
Must Read: Best Treatments For Skin Pigmentation
Sun Tan Removal Treatments
- Laser Toning: Laser tan removal treatment by a dermatologist is one of the best ways to remove tan.This treatment uses a laser device with a Q Switched YAG laser to break down the pigment and reduce tan, sun spots, etc.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical Peels are used to get rid of sun tanned skin and help in the quick exfoliation and regeneration of skin cells by removing tanned skin layers. Peels with different concentration strengths help to treat dark and tanned skin by removing the superficial dead skin layers that have excessive melanin.
- Microdermabrasion: This is also an exfoliating treatment, which is effective in removing the tan and dead skin cells.
Alternative Methods To Get Rid Of Sun Tan
Here are some alternative sun tan removal solutions:
- Tan Removal Creams: There are various sun tan removal creams and bleaches available in the market. Sadly, they only serve as a short-term solution. Tanning goes beyond the top layers of skin, affecting the deeper layers as These creams may treat the surface layers; however, they do not penetrate and treat the deeper layers, due to which they never treat tan effectively. Moreover, you should only use the best tan removal cream recommended by the dermatologist.
- Face Pack, Wax and Face Wash: You can get different face packs and face washes to remove skin tan. However, just like the creams, their effect is short-lived, and despite all the claims of deep cleansing, they hardly do so. The major limitation of using face packs, wax, and face washes is that they affect only the top layers of skin. These are just superficial treatments, which do not treat the root cause of the problem.
- Home Remedies: Home remedies are often popular. These remedies, which have natural ingredients, may provide temporary relief but they do not have any scientifically proven efficacy.
Some of the common side effects of these alternative methods may be a burning sensation, skin irritation and allergies. After a temporary period of skin lightening, the original pigmentation usually returns and sometimes in patches making it difficult to treat the area.
Must Read: How To Get A Fair And Glowing Skin?
Tan Removal Treatment Cost In India
- The cost of advanced suntan removal treatment in India starts from Rs 4,000 – Rs 10,000. It varies based on the size of the target area, severity of tan, the clinic location and reputation, the experience of the doctor, treatment option and technology used.
- Reputed parlours use different face packs to offer de-tanning treatments that cost between Rs 1,000 and Rs 2,500 for face and Rs 700 to Rs 1,500 for underarms and legs.
- Any OTC tan removal cream or lotion may come for a price range between Rs 100 and Rs 2,000, based on the composition and brand.
Note: The pricing is indicative and varies from one city to another. We have taken into consideration the following cities to factor out the pricing – Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Kolkata, Kochi and Vizag.
How Are The Before And After Results?
How Long Will It Take For Tan To Go Away?
The duration of a sun tan removal treatment depends on the type of procedure as well as the area to be treated.
- Chemical Peels: Post your chemical peel treatment, usually after 1-2 sessions, you will notice a visible reduction in your skin tan. Dermatologists usually use chemical peels to remove sun tan from the face, and they might recommend you to undergo 4-6 sessions to see the results.
- Laser Toning: Post your laser toning treatment, you will immediately notice that there is a visible reduction of tan. Depending on the area of the body, you may require 4-6 sessions.
- Microdermabrasion: You may require 4-6 sessions of the microdermabrasion treatment to attain a visible reduction in your tan.
How To Prevent Sun Tanning?
Here are some of the preventive measures that one should follow to avoid skin tanning:
- Apply sunscreen lotion with an SPF above 30 once every 3 hours. Apply it at least 20-30 minutes before stepping outdoors.
- Avoid going outdoors during peak hours of sunlight.
- Wear clothes to protect your skin against tanning.
- Use a broad-brimmed hat, sunglasses, stoles, etc., when you are out in the sun.
Procedural treatments such as laser toning, chemical peels, etc. not only remove the tan but will also rejuvenate, lighten, improve, and make your skin smooth and glowing.
Now, that the summers are here, let not the scorching sun rays take a toll on your skin health. Seek professional dermatological care to say goodbye to tanned skin today!