Our skin is the most exposed organ of the human body; the effort some people make to ensure it appears flawless for as long as possible is justifiable. Every few years, we hear of new cosmetic treatments, but laser skin resurfacing, is a procedure that has stood the test of time and has continuously evolved over the years to give you flawless skin.
What Is Laser Skin Resurfacing?
Laser resurfacing is a treatment that removes the surface layer of skin in a controlled manner and stimulates a rejuvenated, healthy skin layer from beneath. During this procedure, doctors target concentrated pulsating beams of light precisely on your skin to remove the damaged top layer and deliver a visible improvement in your skin texture.
This procedure can treat scars, marks or skin irregularities by stimulating new collagen production. The laser treatment also helps to correct ageing issues, suntan, uneven skin tone, fine lines, and wrinkles.
- A laser acne scar resurfacing treatment helps in creating controlled thermal zones in the target area, thereby stimulating collagen production and remodelling, resulting in a decrease in the depth of the scars. This advanced procedure can reduce even the most stubborn spots, thus restoring your skin’s smoothness and texture.
- A laser skin tightening treatment works on the principle of controlled tissue damage that promotes immediate shrinkage and realignment of collagen. It induces a production of healthy collagen that results in a skin tightening effect. The procedure reduces the visible signs of ageing such as pucker marks, smoker’s lines, frown lines, crow’s feet and wrinkles. It is the best non-surgical treatment to improve the skin tone, skin plumpness and texture.
Benefits Of Laser Skin Resurfacing
Here are the top seven benefits of laser skin resurfacing treatment:
- It is a safe and effective treatment.
- It has manageable downtime.
- It is a non-invasive procedure.
- It is a quick treatment.
- It offers long-lasting results.
- It is suitable for all skin types.
- It has no significant side effects.
What Are The Body Areas That Laser Skin Resurfacing Can Treat?
Dermatologists can perform laser skin resurfacing on the following areas of the body:
- Face – To treat acne scars, post chicken pox scars, post-traumatic scars, burn scars, surgical scars, hyperpigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles etc.
- Neck, arms, chest – To treat marks secondary to acne, chickenpox, age spots, uneven skin tone due to suntan etc.
Types Of Lasers Used For Laser Skin Resurfacing Treatment
Dermatologists use different laser technologies to perform laser skin resurfacing treatment, including the following:
- Ablative Lasers – The heat from the laser damages the outer skin layer in a controlled manner creating micro-injuries. It breaks down old collagen, making way for healthy collagen production and new skin with more compact and organised fibres. Since the treatment works by gently heating the dermis; it is safe for treating sensitive areas of the face. It can help deliver smoother and firmer skin and reduce the visibility of scars. Treatments using this laser involve an extended downtime and a higher risk of scarring, secondary infection and pigmentation if one does not follow proper post-care guidelines.
- Non-ablative Lasers – These are less invasive when compared to ablative lasers and do not cause open wounds. Non-ablative lasers work gently to treat the dermis without affecting the skin’s surface. The controlled heat affects only the targeted tissue and triggers collagen production. The production of new collagen helps reduce the visibility of unwanted scars and causes skin tightening and rejuvenation.
Treatments that use this type of laser are painless with low downtime and are comparatively safer for darker skin tones. They work best to treat mild to moderate scars and reduce post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation and deliver blemish-free skin.
- Pixel Fractional Resurfacing – Fractional laser resurfacing is the most preferred technique to treat scars with precision. The laser energy splits into tiny beams to treat the affected area of the skin in a more focused way. Unlike ablative lasers which vaporise the skin’s top layer in a confluent manner, these lasers selectively treat the target area by creating evenly-spaced microscopic perforations leaving intervening columns of healthy skin. This process facilitates faster healing and significantly reduces the downtime and risk of complications. This treatment is safe for all skin types and works best to treat old blemishes, scars, ageing issues, and enlarged pores.
Who Is An Ideal Candidate?
Laser resurfacing works on almost all skin types. Anyone suffering from the concerns mentioned above and over 18 years of age can opt for this procedure. However, it is not advisable for pregnant and lactating women. Clients under specific medication or those who are prone to hypertrophic scars or keloids may not be suitable candidates for this procedure.
What Are The Steps Involved In A Laser Skin Resurfacing Treatment Procedure?
There is no “one size fits all” option when it comes to choosing the best laser technology for skin resurfacing treatment. Your dermatologist will recommend a suitable treatment plan for you, depending on various factors like the severity and type of your scars/marks, the amount of downtime that suits your lifestyle, your medical history, skin type, etc.
Here are the following steps you can expect while undergoing laser skin resurfacing treatment:
- The dermatologist will examine your skin thoroughly during the consultation, to assess the severity of your skin concern and customise a treatment plan that may include laser skin resurfacing as a standalone or combination treatment.
- Your dermatologist will share pre-care instructions to help you prepare or prime your skin before the laser resurfacing session to enhance its healing and reduce the risk of any possible side effects. You need to follow pre-care instructions for a few weeks before the actual procedure.
- On the day of treatment, a therapist will cleanse your skin to remove any traces of excess oil, dirt and makeup.
- She will then apply a numbing cream to the target area to ensure that the treatment is painless and comfortable.
- The doctor will perform a patch test by passing a laser beam on a smaller area before starting the procedure.
- The dermatologist will then customise the parameters like the fluency of laser and the number of passes required based on your skin type and severity of the concern.
- A therapist will apply soothing cream and sunscreen after the doctor completes the session.
- Your doctor will provide post-care support to help you enjoy sustainable results.
#Scar treatment depends upon factors such as the type of scar, location, orientation, and pattern. Watch this video to know more.
Also Read: How Do You Get Rid Of Acne Holes On Face?
Laser Resufacing Cost In India
The cost of laser skin resurfacing in India varies between Rs 10,000 to Rs 30,000 per session based on the concern. You must consult a dermatologist about your skin concern and skin type. The doctor will accordingly select suitable laser technology. The expenditure you incur for the treatment depends on the following factors–
- The size of scars
- The severity of the concern
- The number of laser treatment sessions needed
- The grade of laser equipment used for the treatment
- Experience of the dermatologist, consultation fee, geographical location and reputation of the clinic.
Note – The cost mentioned above is indicative and varies from one clinic to another. The figure refers to the average price range for laser skin resurfacing treatment at different laser skin clinics across major cities in India, such as – Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Kochi, Vizag, etc.
What Are The Before And After Results?
Check out the images that show the visible improvement in the skin texture and firmness after laser skin resurfacing treatment
Are There Any Side Effects?
Check out the side effects that this advanced aesthetic treatment involves to make an informed decision:
- Laser resurfacing is associated with manageable downtime as it may cause mild redness, swelling, crusting which lasts for two to five days
- After some deep laser treatments, the face may tend to look skinned with crust formations that last for a short time.
- Clients with darker complexions are prone to skin pigmentation and discolouration if they do not follow post-care instructions.
- In cases of acne scar removal treatment, the presence of any active acne is a deal-breaker for laser skin resurfacing procedure.
Also Read: How To Get Rid Of Deep Acne Scars?
Here are a few things you need to keep in mind while opting for laser skin resurfacing treatment:
- It is imperative for you to approach a clinic that has qualified doctors and certified therapists who follow rigorously tested protocols while performing advanced dermatological procedures. Do not compromise on the reputation of a clinic as any laxity can cause irreparable damage to your skin.
- Ensure that the clinic uses the latest technology that has proven safety and efficacy.
- Ensure that you discuss your medical history in detail with your dermatologist before choosing the treatment.
- Take into consideration the number of sessions required, costs, and side effects (if any) to make an informed decision.
- Religiously follow the pre and post-treatment guidelines shared by your doctor to minimise the risk of side effects and complications.
- Your dermatologist may conduct a patch test before the actual procedure to choose appropriate parameters suitable for your skin.
- He/she might prescribe some medical treatment along with this aesthetic procedure to achieve optimal results.
Hope you find this article on laser skin resurfacing treatment informative and helpful.
If you are looking for an advanced solution for reducing your scars and treating saggy skin contact a reputed skin clinic and find out if laser skin resurfacing is the best solution for you.