Over the years, we have been conditioned to believe that fair skin is better than dusky skin tones. All the information in the media over the years has convinced us that changing your skin tone from dark to fair is possible. Do you know that this information is not just misleading, but it is medically inaccurate too!
It is impossible to change your constitutional skin tone. However, it is possible to medically treat concerns like tan, dark spots and post-acne pigmentation with safe and effective skin lightening solutions. These advanced aesthetic treatments can improve the health of your skin and restore its natural glow. Read this article to bust more myths associated with popular fairness solutions!
What Determines Our Skin Color?
Human skin tones range from dark to light brown. Our skin tones are a result of our genetic makeup and sun exposure.
Can A Dark Skin Tone Ever Become Fair?
Dermatologists and plastic surgeons world over warn against falling for the claims of any treatments that promise a drastic change in skin tone. Medically, it is impossible to achieve that. Several skin concerns affect skin tone and texture, and when an experienced dermatologist treats these concerns, the skin is rejuvenated giving an overall improved appearance and an even tone.
Why Is “Trying To Become Fair” So Controversial?
Fairness creams are popular among both men and women. Widespread advertising has misled us to believe that dark-skinned people can change their skin tone to lighter tones almost magically. As these products flood the market frequently, they can be hard to resist.
- It is also important to note that most creams sold in the market contain ingredients such as steroids, hydroquinone, mercury and tretinoin. You should use skin creams under the strict supervision of dermatologist for a stipulated time and avoid using them without guidance. Unsupervised use of these products for a long-term can lead to adverse effects like permanent dyspigmentation, thinning and wrinkling of the skin, abnormal sensitivity, rashes, itch and burning sensation. Apart from these, prolonged use may result in the absorption of harmful ingredients into the bloodstream, which may, in turn, cause serious health concerns.
- These skin fairness products ignore the overall quality of the skin and do not address the underlying cause of the melanin buildup.
- Easy access to information combined with a deluge of content on overnight fairness solutions promoted this fad. Dozens of articles and videos talk about products or ingredients that falsely promise to give you fair skin permanently and instantly with no scientific and medical research or proof to substantiate these claims.
Why Do We Want Fairness Solutions?
All of us desire to flaunt a fair and glowing skin. However, dark patches, acne marks, suntan, age spots and pigmentation like melasma and freckles that appear due to a melanin buildup lead to an uneven complexion and visible skin dullness. If you too are noting dark spots and discoloured skin chances are you may be suffering from any of the following forms of hyperpigmentation:
|Concern||How To Identify||Treatment|
|Dullness||Tired and lacklustre skin||Laser therapy & skin peels|
|Acne Marks||Dark spots after breakouts||Laser therapy, MNRF & skin peels|
|Tan||Discoloured skin due to sun exposure||Laser therapy & skin peels|
|Age Spots||Brown/black spots on sun-damaged skin||Laser therapy & skin peels|
|Melasma||Dark patches after pregnancy||Laser therapy & skin peels|
|Freckles||Tiny spots due to direct sun exposure||Laser therapy & skin peels|
To get rid of the above and to achieve clear and radiant skin, we are ready to experiment with any instant fairness solution available! A word of caution, do not fall prey to dubious “fairness experts” and spurious skin whitening solutions that promise overnight results.
Remember, it is best to consult a qualified dermatologist to diagnose and treat the type and cause of your pigmentary concern. He/she may suggest advanced aesthetic treatments that are scientifically proven for their safety and efficacy to restore your skin’s natural tone and youthful glow.
The Potential Side Effects Of Instant Fairness Solutions:
Instant skin fairness solutions are avoidable as they may cause the following side effects:
- Thinning of the skin
- Discolouration of the face
- Increased visibility of the capillaries
- Severe acne
- Hypersensitivity to sunlight
- Rebound paradoxical pigmentation
- Unwanted facial hair growth
- Skin allergy
Now, that you are aware of the reasons to stay away from experimenting with instant fairness hacks, it is time to find out the safe and effective dermatological solutions that can help you flaunt a flawless complexion.
Safe Skin Lightening Solutions
Your dermatologist may suggest the following as a standalone or combination treatment to help restore the natural colour and glow of your skin:
- Laser Toning: This skin lightening treatment uses cutting edge laser technology to reduce the deeper pigmentation and maintain a youthful look. For this procedure, your dermatologist will use Q-switched Nd:YAG laser beam to break down the excess melanin in your skin, which later gets removed by the immune cells.
- Microdermabrasion: A dermatologist will remove all the dead skin cells using aluminium oxide crystals or diamond-tipped abrasive devices during the procedure, leaving you with a blemish-free and brighter complexion.
- Chemical Peels: This treatment involves the application of a peeling solution containing alpha or beta hydroxy acids to the skin. The chemical peel helps in controlled exfoliation of the top layers of dead cells followed by skin rejuvenation. It helps remove blemishes, light wrinkles, and pigmentation.
- Arbutin: Arbutin is an extract of the bearberry plant. This natural ingredient helps lighten your skin pigmentation.
- Retinol: A natural form of vitamin A, dermatologists prescribe retinol to help exfoliate the skin as well as increase collagen production.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is abundantly available in vegetables and fruits. Alternately, doctors recommend using it topically in the form of creams and lotions for skin lightening.
How To Maintain Fairness For A Long Term?
While treatments and creams can help you get natural, fresh, and healthy skin, you should follow the below tips to maintain the desired look.
- Follow Proper Skincare Routine: Establish a proper skincare routine and ensure that you follow it diligently. To maintain a healthy complexion, you need to understand your skin type and identify products that suit it. Practice the four-step process to get perfect skin.
- Cleansing: Start by using a facial cleanser to remove all the dirt, dust, and makeup. Repeat this step twice daily in the morning and evening.
- Moisturising: Use a good moisturiser to keep your skin hydrated. Make sure that you use water-based moisturisers if you have an oily skin type.
- Exfoliating: Use a gentle scrub once or twice a week to deep clean the pores.
- Applying Sunscreen: Always apply sunscreen above SPF 30 even when the weather is cloudy. It would be best to use it 15-20 minutes before you step outdoors.
- Eat A Healthy Diet: Eating a balanced diet is the best way to get naturally glowing skin. Try to include fruits, green vegetables, fish, and whole grains in your daily diet. Steer away from consuming alcohol and foods that are deep-fried or having high sugar content to maintain a radiant complexion.
Must Read: Effective Skin Care Tips For Glowing Skin
We hope you found this article informative and interesting. Remember, do not fall for skin fairness hacks. Instead, be wise and reach out to experienced and certified medical professionals to seek an accurate assessment of your skin type and diagnosis of underlying conditions robbing your skin of its natural glow. Make an informed decision and select from a variety of safe and effective skin brightening and lightening treatments available at esteemed dermatology clinics that can help your skin get a fresh, youthful, and healthy makeover!