When it comes to shedding the extra kilos and enjoying health benefits — a vegetarian diet is the best bet. People who follow a vegetarian diet have less body fat percentage because a plant-based diet is naturally low in calories. This article will help you explore a sample vegetarian diet for weight loss and the dos and don’ts of meal planning.
What Is A Vegetarian Diet?
A vegetarian diet typically includes plant-based foods and dairy products and excludes meat, fish and poultry. There are four main types of vegetarian diets. Lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet that includes eggs and dairy products. The lacto-vegetarian diet allows the intake of milk but excludes eggs. In contrast, the ovo-vegetarian diet prohibits meat, fish, poultry and milk products but allows adding eggs to your meal plans. The vegan diet omits all animal-based foods, including dairy.
Eating plant-based proteins instead of animal ones means having less saturated fat and avoiding many extra calories to shed fat faster. Having a vegetarian diet may accelerate your weight loss journey and improve your health parameters.
Must Read: Non-Surgical Weight Loss Treatment
Top Foods To Add In A Weight Loss Diet For Vegetarians
Here is a list of some superfoods that you must add to your diet plan if you are a vegetarian trying to lose weight:
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: Zucchini, mushroom, broccoli, cucumber and celery
- Whole Grains: Brown rice, quinoa, barley and millet
- Lean Proteins: Legumes, Greek yoghurt, soy milk and tofu
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges and berries
- Healthy Fats: Olive oil, avocado and coconut
- Nuts And Seeds: Walnuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower and chia seeds
Top Five Foods Vegetarians Should Avoid, For Weight Loss
Here are some foods that are a strict no-no for vegetarians following a weight loss meal plan:
- Avoid consuming processed loaded with preservatives or refined fats like margarine.
- Stay away from having refined carbs like sugary snacks and beverages such as cakes, candies, cookies, energy drinks and sodas.
- Limit the use of high-calorie sauces and dressings such as mayonnaise and ketchup while cooking.
- Do not add imitation dairy products to your meal plans.
- Avoid the intake of meat replacements.
Top Six Tips To Lose Weight While On A Vegetarian Diet
If you are a vegetarian, then the following strategies can help you lose weight fast while on a diet:
- Include protein-rich foods in every meal.
- Opt for whole grains and complex carbs to promote fullness.
- Choose high-fibre or non-starchy vegetables to decrease your calorie intake.
- Watch your food portions by combining nuts and seeds with low-calorie foods like salads.
- Avoid intake of processed foods such as frozen meals with unhealthy additives and extra sugar and salt.
- Don’t forget to maintain your water intake without adding sweeteners.
Must Read: 7 Days Indian Diet Plan for Weight Loss
A Sample Six-Day Vegetarian Meal Plan For Healthy Weight Loss
This six-day vegetarian diet plan for fat loss will help you get healthy and slim fast while ensuring that you shed weight. It will ensure your daily calorie intake does not exceed 2,500 calories. Go ahead and check it out.
Breakfast: 3/4th cup of oatmeal topped with your favourite berries and cinnamon
Lunch: A whole wheat vegetable wrap
Snack: A medium-sized apple
Dinner: Quinoa with grilled veggies such as mushrooms, zucchini and tomatoes
Breakfast: One serving of muesli with Greek yoghurt and fruits such as apple, banana and pear
Lunch: Zucchini noodles with homemade sauce and sunflower seeds
Snack: Almonds and dark chocolate
Dinner: Black bean soup with a slice of whole-grain bread and a bowl of green salad
Breakfast: A glass of smoothie prepared with spinach, almond milk, banana and hemp and chia seeds garnished with grated coconut
Lunch: A bowl of vegetable hummus with olives and grilled veggies such as broccoli, carrots and cherry tomatoes
Snack: 1/4th cup of sliced strawberries and 1/2 cup of Greek yoghurt
Dinner: Vegan chickpea salad
Breakfast: A 100gm serving of grilled tofu or two eggs (optional for eggetarians) with sliced avocado, whole-wheat toast and an apple
Lunch: Grilled paneer tikka masala
Snack: A whole-grain granola bar and cashew nuts
Dinner: Stuffed capsicum with salsa sauce and beans topped with sour cream
Breakfast: Oatmeal cooked with skimmed milk and water, topped with raspberries and a tbsp of chopped nuts
Lunch: Stir-fried vegetables with tofu, broccoli, brown rice and soy sauce
Snack: A bowl of yoghurt without sugar. Alternatively, eggetarians can opt for a hard-boiled egg seasoned with salt and pepper
Dinner: Chickpea stew with a slice of toasted whole grain bread
Breakfast: Plain Greek yoghurt with walnuts, grapes, pineapples and grated coconut
Lunch: Have a tofu or egg salad with a whole-grain toast and sautéed veggies such as carrot, broccoli and bell peppers
Snack: Have string cheese or an orange
Dinner: Have a bowl of lentil soup with salad
It is easy to follow the vegetarian diet chart for weight loss by stocking up the ingredients in advance for the entire week. Following a nutritious vegetarian diet consistently will aid in weight loss and boost your health.
However, it is advisable to seek professional help and avail a customised meal plan from an experienced nutritionist based on your health status, nutrient requirement, lifestyle habits and targeted weight loss for achieving the best results.
For personalised weight loss services from top-notch industry experts, visit your nearest Oliva Skin & Hair Clinic. Do not forget to like and share this article.