Table of Contents
The battle with pimples or acne always seems like a lonely one, but this is far from the truth. There are millions of people around the globe dealing with pimples in their teenage years and some in their adulthood too, making it the most common skin issue.
So, keep your worries aside and let’s talk about how to avoid acne, the right way. Because stressing about that pimple on your face or your forehead is not going to help you in any way. Instead, the stress is just going to make the situation worse.
Are You Hiding Pimples With Makeup?
Makeup comes to the rescue for a lot of people, especially women, in camouflaging the appearance of pimples on face. Be it the use of different color correctors to cover up the redness that comes with the pimple, the impeccable ways in which different textures of concealers can be used to hide that pesky pimple or just going all out with elaborate makeup on other features (e.g., eyes), to take the attention away from the pimple. The tricks are plenty. But are they a permanent pimple remedy? Of course, not!
Why Hiding Pimples Might Not Be A Good Idea?
- Most people tend to add on layers of makeup in an attempt to conceal their pimples, and this leads to aggravating the acne situation even more. Also, pimples tend to change their form with time. Are you equipped in handling a whitehead, a pustule, and a cyst at the same time, at home?
- Not all makeup products are long-lasting. After a couple of hours, once the makeup starts to fade away, the resultant look is unsightly.
- Oil-based makeup products can trigger additional pimples.
- Only the most experienced makeup artists know the real tips and tricks to hide pimples appropriately. An amateur is probably going to draw more attention to the problem areas.
Why Getting A Cure Should Be Your Goal?
Like stated above, makeup can only help you externally for a short period of time, and it surely isn’t a pimple remedy. Using makeup tricks to conceal that one odd pimple on the forehead or face can bail you out on some occasions. But, pimples are mostly widespread and numerous. Makeup is of little use here, especially if you are looking for a more reliable and long-term solution for your acne.
Also Read: Find The Best Pimple Doctors Near You
How To Avoid Pimples?
Your dermatologist can help! Seeking professional help for prescription medication is a sure shot way to combat pimples, some of these include –
- Antibiotics – Pimples are born out of bacteria breeding in the clogged pores of your skin. Antibiotics can help in the treatment of root cause of pimples, by attacking this bacteria and calming down the inflammation.
- Topical Creams – Ingredients such as retinoids, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, etc. greatly help with pimples, when applied in the form of topical medication in concentrations/ strengths that your dermatologist considers appropriate for your skin type.
- Hormonal Therapy – Pimples caused due to certain hormonal imbalances can be dealt with hormonal therapy by way of medication may be given in the form of birth control pills or anti-androgens.
Beyond Treatment – Cosmetic Processes
It has been observed in most cases that the best results are often seen when prescription medication is combined with one or more of the following cosmetic pimple treatment processes –
- Acne Peel – We are all aware that acne is a result of clogged pores and therefore the best way to deal with pimples is to get rid of the dead skin cells and excess oil clogging our pores. Chemical peels with salicylic acid are an accelerated form of controlled exfoliation with anti-inflammatory properties. This peels away dead skin cells and superficial bumps on skin, giving rise to newer and healthier layers of skin from beneath.
- Laser treatments – The acne-causing bacteria can be targeted with the help of laser, which uses controlled beam of light/heat to kill such bacteria in the sebaceous glands. These laser processes also lead to lesser amounts of sebum production, thus reducing future breakouts, and at the same time, have proved to show great results in dealing with acne scars/pimple marks.
- Light Therapy – Light therapy used in the treatment of pimples works by using a combination of antibacterial blue light and anti-inflammatory red light in treating mild to moderate cases of acne. Other than killing acne-causing bacteria and reducing inflammation, light therapy also controls the sebum production by shrinking the oil glands in the problem areas.
- Acne Removal – We have always been told popping pimples is going to aggravate the acne even further, leaving permanent marks behind which may never be treated. If you are dealing with large cystic pimples that refuse to go away with regular medication and topical ointments, your dermatologist can decide upon surgical pimple removal, which is done with a great deal of precision and sterile conditions, thus making sure that they don’t leave behind pimple marks.
Tips That Makes This Condition Better
(a) Choosing Right Makeup For Your Skin Type – The use of makeup on acne prone skin is a debatable topic, but anything in moderation is sure to cause no harm. Therefore, it becomes highly important to choose cosmetic products that do not aggravate existing pimples or cause new ones. Things to keep in mind when choosing makeup products include –
- Go for non-comedogenic products.
- Choose water-based cosmetics over oil-based products.
- Opt for lighter formulations and skip the heavier ones.
- In case of allergies, identify the allergy-causing ingredient and make sure none of your makeup products contain this ingredient.
(b) Avoiding Skin Irritation – Do not indulge in any activities that will increase the inflammation on your skin, cause irritation, and make things worse. Use mild cleansers; do not scrub your skin or pop your pimple.
(c) Cleaning Your Skin – Keeping your skin clean and free from excess oil and dirt is key in preventing pimples, but this should not be overdone to the point of drying out the skin. Gentle daily cleansers and mild exfoliating agents should be a part of your skin care regimen.
(d) Keeping The Skin Moisturized – The most common mistake that people with oily skin make is to avoid facial moisturizers. Using a mild water-based moisturizer on your face will make your skin supple and ensure that your pores are open. There are certain mild non-comedogenic and water based moisturizers which can be extremely helpful in acne situation.
(e) Taking Help Of A Nutritionist – Many people blame exterior elements or their genes for their acne issues, but in most cases, the problem lies within. A well-balanced healthy diet that includes whole grains, lean protein, vegetables (like carrots, broccoli, leafy greens, etc.), fruits (like berries, oranges, apples, etc.), nuts, and seeds will ensure healthy skin that is free from pimples. It is also important to keep a check on food items containing dairy and sugar.
Going through the above text should have made it clear that there is no instant and one-fits-all remedy to the question of ‘how to get rid of pimples’. There are numerous pimple treatments available that one can opt for, depending on the underlying causes and the lifestyle of the concerned individual.
Yes, dealing with pimples can be exasperating. But, the right care and treatment by an expert dermatologist, can make sure that you do not have any permanent scar or pigmentation on your skin.