Scars on the face are unsightly and displeasing for everyone. Our skin is capable of regenerating itself time and again, but some scars are beyond repair and leave marks behind. With the help of various treatments, you can now reduce the appearance of these scars and even remove them permanently in some cases. Check with your dermatologist for understanding the cause of scars on your face and possible treatment options for you.
What Causes Scars On Face?
Our skin has its ways to treat the different ailments we put it through, and scarring is one such process. During the healing process, our skin promotes the formation of new collagen fibers to mend the injured area, it results in the formation of a scar, and since the scar tissue is new, it typically has a different texture than the surrounding tissue.
The common causes of facial scars
- Acne Scars – There are several kinds of acne scars, such as deep pit scars, box scars, and ice pick scars.
- Keloid Scars – They are formed when your skin puts in way too much effort, too fast, to heal the injury.
- Contracture Scars – They are typically caused due to burns.
- Hypertrophic Scars – These are bumpy-red scars, which protrude from the skin.
Must Read: Best Scar Removal Treatments That Work
Facial Scar Removal Procedures
Scar revision treatments can help you in flattening the scars, reducing the inflammation, and reasonably concealing the appearances of the scars. Some of the scar treatments include –
- Pixel Laser Resurfacing – It is an advanced aesthetic procedure which uses a fractionated laser, that has brought revolutionary changes in treating all kinds of scars not just on the face but on all parts of the body. It is highly effective in inducing collagen, thus improving the appearance of depressed scars, static lines, and even open pores. Since pixel is extremely effective in stimulating collagen production, it improves all types of scars. In pixel, multiple small beams of light remove the top layer of the skin, giving a rejuvenated and blemish-free skin. Watch the video now
- Subcision – This process is used to treat cutaneous scars by minor surgical procedures performed via special hypodermic needles. The sharp needle is used to break fibrous strands around the scar tissue. This also helps in stimulating new collagen production and thus helps in esthetic improvement in the appearance of the scar.
- Chemical Peels – There are several peels using plant extracts, which help in getting rid of flat and pigmented scars that are present on the uppermost layer of the skin. With chemical peeling, the epidermal layer of the skin is removed, using a natural acid to reveal a clearer and smoother looking skin from beneath. In addition, peels ensure a controlled exfoliation and removal of the upper layer of the skin.
- Intralesional Injections – Intralesional injections are used for the hypertrophic scars, which raise above the skin and bulge-out. In some cases, if they outgrow the pimple size, and they turn into a keloid. Thus, for such scenarios, these injections help in flattening and reducing these scars. To observe substantial results, intralesional injections are used at an interval of two to four per week.
- Dermal Fillers – Dermal fillers are a quick fix that fills up the scars with a natural component called hyaluronic acid, which conceals the appearance of the scar for a good six to eight months, after which this acid is slowly absorbed by the body enzymes.
- Dermabrasion – It is a surgical skin planning process of removing scars effectively. It involves a controlled and deep abrasion of inner layers of the skin by an experienced medical professional. It is an invasive process must be administered under local anesthesia. This procedure is done for deep acne scars to bring out new and smooth looking skin from under the upper layers of the skin.
Facial Scar Removal Cost
Scar revision treatment for face costs anywhere between Rs. 6500 – Rs. 15000 per session, at a good skin clinic. The overall cost may vary based on the procedure undertaken, size and depth of the scar, individual skin type, the experience of the dermatologist and other health conditions.
Are Scar Removal Creams Useful?
- Over-the-counter topical creams, ointments, or gels may show only around 5% variance in the scars (only fresh scars) and therefore you would hardly see any visible results. But the dermatologic treatments show a visible difference in the appearance of the scar within a few days of the procedure.
- Expensive topical creams may have a negligible impact on the scars. Antibiotic ointments may help in the reduction of infection to some extent, but it does not help in fading of scars. Clinically there are no proofs that these topical creams can fade or treat scars.
How To Prevent Scars On Face?
- Dress the wound if necessary. Although it is said that the skin should breathe, if you leave the wound open, it results in the formation of a scab, which irritates your skin and inhibits the recovery process. Whereas, on the other hand, on dressing a wound, you will keep the wound moist and clean, which minimizes the chances of infection, scarring and also encourages the healing process.
- Though scars can be itchy, it is a strict rule to not pick on your scars, as it inhibits the healing process.
- Cultivate the habit of massaging the healing skin, as this helps in effectively breaking down the collagen bonds and thus reduces the appearances of the scar. A good 15 seconds massage a few times in a day, is recommended, to help in healing the skin and reducing scars.
- Avoid heading out in the sun during peak hours between 10am-4pm, also ensure that you cover your facial injury properly and wear airy garments. Also, use a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 as the UV rays from the sun are capable of hindering the wound healing process and causing discoloration.
- Hydrogen peroxide must not be used on the scarred wound. It may clean the wound, but in this process, it kills the newly formed skin cells. It also slows the healing process.
- Vitamin E can not remove scars, studies show that it has zero effect in healing the scar, in fact, in some cases, it worsens the appearance of the scar.
Scars on the face must no hinder your self-confidence. As there are plenty of ways in which you can reduce and prevent scars. Consult your dermatologist, and follow the treatment prescribed. Additionally, follow the do’s and don’ts to ensure that you do not worsen the appearance of the scar.