The GM diet plan is a unique 7-day weight loss plan where you consume low-calorie foods from a different food group on each day of the week. By the end of the week, you are likely to lose up to 6-7kgs. This article gives you a thorough explanation of the 7-day GM diet. Keep reading to find out if the GM diet is suitable for your health needs.
What Is GM Diet?
The GM diet is a 7-day diet plan that General Motors (GM), the American multinational corporation, developed in 1985. Experts created this diet plan, in conjunction with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the United States Department of Agriculture, for GM’s employees to shed excess weight, lead a healthy life, and be more efficient at the workplace. This week-long diet plan targets to reduce up to 6-7kgs, improve productivity and overall health.
Indian GM Diet Plan Vs Original GM Diet Plan
The GM diet plan for weight loss suggests consuming certain food groups on each day of the week. The goal is to eat low-calorie foods with optimum water intake to promote weight loss. The Indian version of the GM diet plan has a single exception: protein alternatives replace beef, as beef is not a commonly consumed meat in India. There are vegetarian alternatives also available.
Must Read: What Is The Best Time To Exercise?
How It Works?
The GM diet plan suggests that you target a different food group on each day of the week and fulfil your body’s nutritional requirements. Anecdotal evidence points that people lose up to 6-7kgs, in some cases up to 8kgs, after following this 7-day diet.
By feeding your body specific quantities of ingredients that trigger weight loss, the GM diet boosts metabolism and helps you lose extra weight through the process of detoxification. Besides flushing out toxins, the diet also accelerates calorie burn, thereby reducing fat in the body. You will feel rejuvenated and much lighter after seven days. The diet minimises gastric reflux and improves bowel movement that further aids weight loss.
Read on to find out more details of the GM diet, but make sure you consult an expert dietician before you begin.
How Does The GM Diet Benefits Weight Loss?
The following are 7 ways in which the GM diet plan promotes weight loss:
- Faster Weight Loss: The GM diet plan helps reduce 5 to 8 kgs in a week, much faster than other diets.
- Prevents Fat Accumulation And Weight Gain: Including plenty of fruits and vegetables as part of the GM diet plan helps prevent the accumulation of unwanted fat in the body, thus preventing future weight gain.
- Reduces Belly Fat: The diet plan contains low-calorie foods, which are high in soluble fibre. These help in the reduction of harmful visceral fat, especially in the belly region.
- Reduces Waist Circumference: The GM diet plan helps create a calorie deficit that increases fat burn and reduces waist circumference.
- Boosts Metabolism: The diet plan helps eliminate waste from the body, cleanse deeply and boost metabolism, giving your entire body a healthy reset.
- Accelerates Daily Calorie Burn: Every food ingredient consumed during the diet plan accelerates calorie burn.
- Weight Maintenance: By encouraging the consumption of low-calorie foods, it helps experience drastic weight loss. Under expert supervision, you can maintain your ideal weight in the long term.
Other Health Benefits Of The GM Diet Plan:
Beyond weight loss, there are 7 additional health benefits that the GM diet plan offers:
- Reduces Stress: The increased intake of antioxidants in fruits and vegetables has therapeutic effects on the body and mind.
- Encourages Healthy Bowel Movement: The ingredients of the GM diet keep the stomach full for longer while promoting healthy digestion and gut flora.
- Boosts Immunity: Consuming nutritious fruits and vegetables boosts your immunity and helps improve cell function.
- Detoxifies And Resets The System: The diet plan facilitates the transformation of the entire body through detoxification, leaving you feeling relaxed, rejuvenated and thoroughly cleansed.
- Promotes Fullness: As you restrict the consumption of sugary, processed, fried and unhealthy foods, you are likely to feel less tempted to binge eat. Eventually, you will feel satiated with reduced cravings.
- Healthy And Glowing Skin: The diet’s detoxifying characteristics will help you achieve healthy and glowing skin.
- Increase In Energy Levels: You will experience higher energy levels, better productivity and efficiency at the end of the 7-day GM diet plan.
Is It Safe to Follow GM Diet for Weight Loss?
It is strictly advisable to consult a certified nutritionist before starting any diet. The same goes for the GM diet too. Experts suggest that it is best to follow a GM diet plan for a short period to reset your body.
One of the side effects you may experience is temporary weight loss, with the high possibility that you may gain back the weight once the diet is over. Some anecdotal evidence also shows that the diet may not provide adequate nutrients as you are restricting your consumption to select food groups. (This may vary from person to person). Thus, the GM diet may not serve as a long-term, sustainable weight loss solution.
Who Should Avoid This?
People who suffer from eating disorders, pregnant women, lactating mothers, people in physically and mentally exhausting professions and children in their crucial growing years should not opt for this diet, as it is not a balanced weight loss diet. Further, those who suffer from thyroid issues, PCOD and diabetes should avoid it or consult the doctor first.
How to Prepare For The 7-Day GM Diet?
Before you start the Indian GM diet plan, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Consult A Doctor: You must undergo a thorough consultation with a nutritionist or a dietician before starting the GM diet. It becomes even more critical if you have health conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, heart-related conditions or if you are on any medications.
- Increase Water Intake: The 7-day GM diet plan requires you to have ample water to help with the detoxification process. If you are not used to drinking a lot of water, it is better to steadily increase your daily water consumption a few days before starting the diet plan.
- Avoid Alcohol And Unhealthy Foods: For best results, stay away from alcohol and unhealthy foods while on the GM diet.
- Stock Up Essentials: Prepare a list of the foods you must consume as part of the diet in advance. Buy enough fruits, vegetables and other essentials required for the week.
- Exercise: Prepare yourself to work out every day for at least 30 to 45 minutes to accelerate the weight loss. This will also help combat muscle fatigue and tiredness during the week-long diet.
Substitute Foods To Follow The 7-Day Indian GM Diet Plan
GM Indian Diet for Vegetarians
For vegetarians, the GM diet meal plan changes on Day 5 and Day 6 as the original GM diet includes beef. Vegetarians can compensate by opting for low-fat cottage cheese, beans, chickpeas, tofu, sprouts, and skimmed milk and soy products. Vegans can replace dairy products with soy or almond milk.
GM Diet for Non- Vegetarians
The original GM diet includes non-vegetarian food options, but the western version includes beef, making it unsuitable for people in the Indian sub-continent. On Days 5, 6 and 7, you can substitute beef with proteins such as chicken, eggs, mutton, fish, and vegetarian options.
Must Read: 7-Day PCOS Indian Diet Plan For Weight Loss
7- Day GM Diet Plan For Weight Loss:
Here are the food groups you can choose to eat from on each day of the week.
Eat any fruit of your choice in your desired quantity. Consume a good amount of water.
Eat all types of vegetables with no restrictions to keep yourself energised throughout the day.
You can have fruits and vegetables on day 3 along with a good amount of water to stay hydrated.
You can consume up to eight medium-sized bananas, three medium-sized glasses of skimmed milk and soup as day 4 is high potassium and high carbs day.
Choose chicken, fish, egg whites, paneer, curd, soybeans etc., over two meals along with six tomatoes, as day 5 is protein day.
You can eat all that you consumed on day 5 along with raw or cooked vegetables but exclude the tomatoes.
Eat rice, rotis, fruits and vegetables on day 7 along with fruit juices.
Sample 7-day GM diet chart
Breakfast: One medium apple.
Mid-morning snack: Half a bowl of muskmelon.
Lunch: One large orange or two mosambis.
Evening snack: One cup of watermelon.
Dinner: One pear or guava and half a bowl of grapefruit.
Breakfast: One cup of boiled potatoes.
Mid-morning snack: One cup of cabbage and cucumber salad.
Lunch: One bowl of capsicum, lettuce, cucumber, and baby spinach.
Evening snack: Half a cup of steamed broccoli.
Dinner: Salad of beetroots, broccoli, carrots, cucumber, and lettuce.
Breakfast: Two apples.
Mid-morning snack: Half a cup of sliced pineapple and pear.
Lunch: One cup of cucumber, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, and broccoli.
Evening snack: One orange or guava.
Dinner: Half a cup of boiled raw papaya and one cup of steamed broccoli and green peas.
Breakfast: Two bananas.
Mid-morning snack: One banana.
Lunch: Banana milkshake made with skimmed or almond milk.
Evening snack: One pear or one cup of papaya.
Dinner: One cup of vegetable soup.
Breakfast: Two tomatoes and a bowl of sprouts.
Mid-morning snack: A cup of curd or cubes of tofu and one tomato.
Lunch: Assorted vegetables with one cup of brown rice.
Evening snack: Sprout salad and curd.
Dinner: Soya or scrambled paneer with cucumber, lettuce and tomato salad.
Breakfast: One cup of steamed sprouts and vegetable salad.
Mid-morning snack: Half a cup of boiled kidney beans or tofu.
Lunch: One cup of brown rice and one cup of assorted vegetables.
Evening snack: One cup of cucumber and cabbage salad.
Dinner: Half a cup of brown rice with chicken or cottage cheese or tofu.
Breakfast: One glass of orange juice and one cup of muskmelon.
Mid-morning snack: One cup of berries.
Lunch: One cup of brown rice and sautéed vegetables.
Evening snack: One apple and one cup of grapefruit juice.
Dinner: One bowl of mixed vegetable soup.
The GM diet plan is a great way to cleanse your body and achieve quick weight loss in a short time. However, it is not a sustainable, long-term fitness option as it may cause harmful side effects. We trust that this article will help you make an informed decision about the GM diet plan.