Indians love fair skin, and we know so by looking at all ours ads and commercials that flood the television and newspapers, don’t we? The sun does not make our lives any easier either, as we are prone to getting tanned quickly. Now, if someone starts observing dark patches of pigmentation on the face or the body, then god bless him or her. It is as much a nightmare for us as it is for our matchmaking aunties.
Pigmentation is capable of adding so much age to our face, and is responsible for giving us a checkboard look. But, do not worry as we have got you covered. This article covers the cause as well as the solution for pigmentation, so read on.
What Is Facial Pigmentation?
Pigmentation is when your face is producing excessive melanin that results in dark patches on the skin, leaving you with an uneven skin tone. Though this condition causes no harm, it leaves with apprehensions about your skin. Pigmentation is more commonly seen with Indians, because of the amount of exposure to the sun. Further, though this skin condition results in darkening of the skin, there are variations to it, which are determined by the cause of hyperpigmentation. So, in case you notice dark patches on your face, save yourself from the self-inspection routines and visit a dermatologist for a profound analysis.
Must Read: What Is The Best Treatment For Pigmentation?
How To Get Rid Of Pigmentation On Face?
Pigmentation on your face can be annoying, but the good news is that there are various treatments available in the market that includes chemical peels, laser treatment, and topical creams that you can use to remove pigmentation from face permanently.Chemical Skin Peeling: Chemical peels are also an appropriate option for pigmentation issues. The following are the options for restoring damaged and darkened skin, and promoting the development of new and healthy skin.
- 1. Salicylic acid peels
2. Mandelic acid peels
3. Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) peels
4. Glycolic acid peels
- Laser Treatment: Depending on the type of pigmentation, the laser that is used for your treatment can vary. The following are the pigmentary skin conditions that can be treated by a laser.
2. Sun Tan
3. Age Spots
- Topical Creams And Lotions: There are many topical creams available over the counter that can help you in lightening the skin and reducing pigmentation. However, it is recommended to first understand the type and depth of pigmentation by consulting a dermatologist before investing into any kind of creams. Here is a list of the different topical creams available in the market –
1. Hydroquinone: This is the most commonly used skin lightening treatment that effectively works on pigmentation and is approved by the FDA.
2. Kojic acid: It is drawn from a fungus and has similar effects on the face and body as hydroquinone.
3. Azelaic acid: It is often used to treat ace but is also found to be effective in case of hyperpigmentation.
4. Mandelic acid: This acid is derived from almonds and is found to be very helpful in treating all kinds of hyperpigmentation.
Must Read: Which Chemical Peel Is Right For Your Skin?
Is Laser Toning Really Effective For Facial Pigmentation?
A two-part non-invasive procedure that is extremely effective in treating melasma and other unrelenting types of pigmentation is Laser Toning (or Q-Switched Laser). It rejuvenates and repairs the skin with almost zero downtime, and refines the texture and tone of the skin. It is a non-abrasive method of taking care of both superficial and deep-pigmented patches and is gaining high popularity because of its proven efficiency. Laser Toning is used for signs of aging, and for improving skin color, texture, pore size, and laxity.
- How Does It Work?
The laser penetrates into the layers of the skin while targeting the pigmented area and fragmenting it into smaller particles. This fragmentation process continues until the pigments are divided into particles of a negligible size such that the body naturally disposes of them. The beams from the laser feel like tiny, warm dots on your skin, and although it is not painful, if the pain is unbearable then anesthesia is applied on the treated area. Also, as an attempt to reduce the discomfort, a stream of cold air is directed onto the treated area during the process.
- How Many Sessions Are Required?
To maximize the results, a course of 6-8 sessions is usually recommended by dermatologists.
- What Kind Of Results Can You Expect?
Laser Toning starts showing results from the first sitting itself. It will not only treat your pigmentation but also have a great influence on the general texture and tone of your skin. This laser has the ability to reduce pore size and wrinkles, giving your skin a youthful glow.
What’s The Cost Of Laser Pigmentation Treatment?
The cost of laser pigmentation treatment on the face in India ranges between Rs 5,000 to Rs 8,000 per session. However the overall cost varies based on skin type, strength of pigmentation, area of the skin to be treated, the experience of the dermatologist and underlying health condition.
Must Read: How Much Does Skin Whitening Treatment Cost?
Pigmentation is a harmless skin condition. While it may not be dangerous, we know it is not very appealing to our eye and our confidence can take a hit because of it. Even though there are various remedies to resolve this issue, a visit to the nearest dermatologist is always a good idea before trying any treatment out. This will help to properly understand the problem and solve it accordingly.