With the increased options for various skin lightening treatments globally, it has become easier than ever to have fairer skin. A skin lightening treatment can help in reducing dark spots, melasma, sun damage, freckles, scars, and other types of marks. Most importantly, it can result in lighter and evenly toned skin. From laser treatments to bleaching, there are different ways to lighten your skin. Read this informative guide to learn more about skin whitening treatments, estimated costs, types, and more.
What Is Skin Whitening Treatment?
This procedure aims at reducing the melanin content in your skin. Since melanin is the substance responsible for your skin color, a reduction in this substance gives you fairer skin tone. This procedure uses substances, formulation, therapeutic solutions or physical treatments to reduce the production of tyrosinase enzyme, which is instrumental for the melanin production and thereby reducing its amount in the skin.
Skin Whitening Treatment Options
A skin whitening treatment reduces the amount of melanin in the skin, which results in a fairer skin tone. To achieve this, different kinds of treatments can be done. According to your needs, you can go with a full body skin whitening procedure or a face lightening treatment. While a laser machine is used for a full body brightening treatment, chemical peels, bleaching, or cryosurgery are mostly performed for a facial skin whitening procedure. Some of the most common skin lightening treatments are as follows –
- Chemical Peeling – Chemical peeling is considered one of the best methods to lighten your skin tone. In this procedure, a peeling solution is applied to remove the damaged outer layer of the skin allowing the healthier lower layers to appear on the surface. On the basis of the concentration, different types of chemical peels are – light, medium, or deep. Chemical peels are widely available at any reputed skin clinic. The benefits of chemical peeling are:
- Chemical peels are safe and a gentle option to lighten dark and discoloured skin.
- It can effectively reduce facial blemishes, sun tan, dark marks and even your skin tone.
- It works on any skin types including oily, dry and combination skin.
- Generally, chemical peels are applied to exposed body parts like the face, forehead, neck and hands.
- Laser Skin Whitening – In laser treatment, the darker skin is exposed to a concentrated beam of light. Due to its high energy, the dark skin cells are destroyed in different layers. As a result, fairer and healthier skin cell growth is triggered. The regenerated skin is flawlessly toned and brighter. This treatment is also known as laser peel or lasabrasion. The benefits of lasers are:
- It treats concerns like skin pigmentation, dark spots, sun tanning, dull skin etc.
- It offers the quickest solution with the most promising results.
- You have a virtually painless experience.
- This procedure is administered by a trained dermatologist.
- You can avail laser-based treatment at any reputed skin clinic.
- This can be done on the whole body or on selective areas like the face, neck, hand etc.
- Skin Whitening Injections – Skin whitening injections use glutathione, a skin lightening agent. This stops the production of an enzyme called tyrosinase, which is involved in making melanin in the body. It is generally assumed that these injections can detoxify the body, protect the skin from harmful UV rays and promotes fair skin tone. The “Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database” has classified the use of this injection in the “possibly safe” category, though it does not comment on the effectiveness of a glutathione injection as a skin whitening agent. You can find these injections in selected skin clinics. Some studies suggest a high dosage of glutathione is unsafe and may result in serious consequences. Therefore, proper research must be done before selecting this option.
- Skin Whitening Products: It is the most commonly accessible and affordable skin fairness treatment that one can get. You can find a wide range of chemical and whitening products in the market. Most of these products have materials like azelaic acid, retinol, hydroquinone, glycolic acid, etc. Some of these ingredients are evidently popular for their bleaching properties. While most of these products can be bought from any pharmacist, you should visit a dermatologist to get prescribed products which is ideal for your skin. Although these products might lighten your skin immediately, their effects won’t be lasting. Furthermore, some bleaching products might damage your skin if not used properly.
Other Treatments To Whiten Your Skin
There are also dedicated anti-pigmentation treatments that one can try.
- Arbutin – These days Arbutin is mostly recommended for a body skin whitening and anti-pigmentation solution. It is made from the extract of Bearberry (a plant found in Asia). Experts have found it extremely beneficial to reduce freckles, stretch marks, and aging spots. Since it is a natural treatment, it rarely has any side effects.
- De-tan Facials – If your skin has been overly tanned and does not have a uniform tone, then you can also try a de-tan skin whitening facial. It is also known as a radiance facial as it results in glowing skin. In this, the skin is treated with various chemicals and copper-containing enzymes that inhibit melanin.
- Skin Whitening Surgery – Even though this is the most aggressive skin lightening treatment, it is highly recommended for its lasting effects. There are different kinds of skin brightening surgeries that one can get, depending on the desired results and the quality of the skin. However, surgery is considered ideal for skin lightening for extremely dark skin and for those who want faster results.
Also Read: Laser Skin Treatments In India
Skin Whitening Treatment Cost In India
The average cost of skin whitening treatment is between Rs. 1,500 – Rs. 3,000 for chemical peels, Rs. 4,000 – Rs. 30,000 for laser treatment and Rs. 6,000 – Rs.40,000 for injections. Similarly, the cost of fairness products can range between Rs. 200 – Rs. 2,000.
Why do the prices vary?
- The cost varies because skin whitening treatments are customized for the individuals skin type. Most clinics/practitioners advise an initial consultation to evaluate the dark skin, its quality, and any related pre-existing conditions before providing an estimated price.
- The size of the skin area to be treated is crucial in determining the pricing. For example, a procedure performed on a relatively smaller body part like the face, underarms or forehead is less expensive compared to a full body procedure.
- Other factors like the reputation of the clinic, quality of equipment etc. often increase and decrease the treatment price.
To get an exact quote, you can visit a nearby skin clinic or dermatologist.
Also Read: Laser Skin Resurfacing In India
Is Skin Whitening Treatment Permanent?
The effects of these treatments can last between a few months to a few years. Dermatologists advise the following tips to maintain the longevity of any skin lighting treatment:
1. Leading a healthy lifestyle
2. Using a good sunscreen to protect your skin from sun rays
3. Following a basic skin care routine
4. From time to time avail maintenance sessions
5. Eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of water
While the results of bleaching agents and chemical peeling are not permanent, laser treatments usually last for years and are considered a long-term solution. Therefore, skin lightening for dark skin achieved through laser treatment is often considered permanent.
Skin Whitening – Step By Step Procedure
If you are confused about the best skin whitening method and do not know how to start, then you can follow these suggestions.
- Visit A Skin Clinic – Take an appointment with a dermatologist or visit a reputed skin clinic. Let them know your desired skin tone and any past medical conditions that might affect your chosen course of action. An expert will let you know about the different treatments to lighten your skin.
- Consider A Plastic Surgeon – If you are looking for a more aggressive approach or would like to get a severely damaged part of the skin treated, then you should consult a plastic surgeon instead.
- Choose A Preferred Option – After getting to know about various approaches for skin whitening facials and laser treatments, you can do your bit of research. Ask the designated expert any questions you have and pick the best skin whitening treatment in order to proceed.
- Come Up With A Recovery Plan – Every skin lightening treatment has a different duration of recovery. Therefore, you might consider informing your friends, colleagues, and family about the same. While a minor procedure might have a small or no recovery period, a laser or deep peel may require several days to recover.
- Prepare For The Treatment – Make all the needed preparations for the treatment and take care of your skin. You might have to apply some lotions before the skin lightening treatment. Additionally, your doctor can ask you to reduce smoking or the consumption of certain substances for the time being.
- Post-Treatment Maintenance – A body skin whitening process will only yield the desired results if you take care of your skin during the recovery period. Apply the prescribed lotions regularly and keep your body hydrated. Inform your doctor if you observe any drastic or sudden changes in your skin and follow all the instructions carefully.
- Take Care Of Your Skin – Most importantly, if you want the skin brightening to last then you need to take care of your skin. For instance, apply sunscreen whenever you go out in the day to avoid any sun damage. Also, choose products that treat your skin the right way. Your dermatologist can help you with some suggested products.
Also Read: How To Remove Dark Spots On Face?
FAQs On Skin Whitening
What Are The Advantages Of A Skin Whitening Treatment?
Skin lightening treatments can get rid of blemishes, freckles, acne, and various other kinds of prominent scars and marks on your skin. It can result in a uniformly toned and younger looking skin in no time. This will certainly boost your confidence and let you have healthier skin.
Does Skin Lightening Peel The Skin?
Skin lightening can be achieved in different ways, and skin peeling is one of those techniques. Ideally, skin lightening is different from peeling. Though, one can do the same using similar products.
What Is Laser Skin Lightening?
A laser treatment takes the assistance of high concentration beams to vaporize or burn the darker skin cells. As a result, fairer skin is regenerated. It is mostly recommended for skin lightening for dark skin.
Can You Use Skin Lightening Products While You Are Pregnant?
Even though there are no tested results that depict a direct relation between skin lightening products and pregnancy, it is recommended to be extra cautious while choosing your mode of treatment. Ideally, you should avoid strong bleaching agents and aggressive chemicals. Most doctors recommend not opting for any skin lightening treatments during pregnancy and breastfeeding stages.
Now that you know about the various kinds of skin lightening treatments, you can easily get fairer and younger skin in no time. If you still have a query regarding skin fairness treatment, then visit the nearest branch of Oliva Skin and Hair Clinic.