With the increased options for various skin lightening treatments available globally, it has become easier than ever to restore the lost glow and skin tone. From laser treatments to bleaching, there are different ways to lighten your skin. Read this informative guide to learn more about skin lightening treatments, estimated costs, types, and more.
What Is Skin Lightening Treatment?
Skin lightening treatment aims at reducing the excessive melanin content in your skin. Since accumulation of melanin is responsible for your dark spots, uneven tone etc. a reduction in it gives you a lighter complexion. A skin lightening procedure can help treat melasma, sun damage, freckles and other types of marks.
Skin lightening procedures include the prescription of melanin reducing agents, in the form of topical formulations as well as procedural treatments to clear excess melanin in the skin. Topical agents work by reducing the production of tyrosinase enzyme, which is instrumental for the melanin production.
Also Read: Safe And Effective Skin Lightening Treatment
Myth-Buster About Skin Whitening:
Most people misunderstand skin lightening to be equivalent to skin whitening. According to expert dermatologists, skin whitening treatment is a popular myth. Skin whitening or altering the concentration of melanin with the use of harsh chemicals is unsafe and stems from social prejudices. It is a popular misconception and dermatologists strongly rule out the possibility of fading your complexion beyond the natural one.
Beauty salons cater to the enormous demand for “skin whitening treatments” by offering services like bleaching and de-tan facials. However, these skin brightening packages deliver temporary results, and their efficacy is not scientifically proven. An experienced skin specialist can advise you to go for skin lightening treatments, which are safe, effective and long-lasting to get an even skin tone but will never recommend a “skin whitening” procedure. The medical fraternity does not endorse skin whitening solutions in any form.
Skin Lightening Treatment Options:
Different kinds of treatments can be done to achieve skin lightening. According to your needs, you can go with a skin lightening procedure on a specified body part or a face lightening treatment. While laser treatment is used for both face and certain body parts brightening treatment, chemical peels are mostly performed for a facial skin lightening procedure. Some of the most common skin lightening treatments are as follows –
- Chemical Peeling – In this procedure, a solution containing alpha hydroxy acids from natural extracts is applied to remove the damaged outer layer of the skin, which has accumulated melanin allowing the healthier lower layers to appear on the surface. On the basis of the concentration, chemical peels can be of three types – light, medium, or deep. A chemical peel is a gentle option to lighten discoloured skin by effectively reducing facial blemishes, tan, dark spots and even out the skin tone.
- Laser Skin Whitening – In laser treatment, the concerned skin is exposed to a concentrated beam of light. Due to its high energy, the excess melanin is broken down and dispersed by the natural immune system in the skin. As a result, healthier and brighter skin appears. The regenerated skin is flawless. This treatment is also known as laser peel or lasabrasion. The laser treatment helps in effectively reducing concerns like skin pigmentation, dark spots, sun tanning, dull skin etc.
- Skin Lightening Injections – Skin whitening injections use glutathione, a skin lightening agent. This stops the production of an enzyme called tyrosinase, which is involved in making melanin in the body. As per popular belief, these injections can detoxify the body, protect the skin from harmful UV rays and promote fair skin tone. The “Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database” has classified the use of this injection in the “possibly safe” category, though it does not comment on the effectiveness of a glutathione injection as a skin-lightening agent. Some studies suggest a high dosage of glutathione is unsafe and may cause severe side effects. Good evidence-based studies are needed to ascertain the results of glutathione.
Although, you can find these injections may be available in selected skin clinics. However, proper research must be done before choosing this option.
- Skin Lightening Products – You can find a wide range of chemical and lightening products in the market. Most of these products have materials like azelaic acid, arbutin, retinol, hydroquinone, glycolic acid,lactic acid and kojic acid, etc. Some of these ingredients are popular for their bleaching properties. Although these products might lighten your skin immediately but will not offer lasting results and might come with some side effects due to chemicals used in skin bleaching products. These are also not feasible for long term use.
While most of these products can be bought from any pharmacist, you should visit a dermatologist to be prescribed products, which are ideal for your skin. This is essential, as a dermatologist would suggest the right product in best concentration thereby avoiding any adverse events. These skin lightening products are not suitable for pregnant women and lactating mothers.
Other Treatments To Whiten Your Skin:
There are also dedicated anti-pigmentation treatments that one can try.
- Arbutin – Arbutin is a popular ingredient in many skin lightening products and anti-pigmentation solutions. It is extremely beneficial to reduce freckles,stretch marks, lighten the colour of the skin as well as aging spots.
- Skin Whitening Surgery – Today, there is a massive interest in availing medically invasive procedures to treat pigmentary concerns. However, “skin whitening surgeries” do not exist. Most of the skin lightening treatments like laser toning and chemical peels are safe, effective, non-invasive and in-clinic procedures that require no hospitalisation and are done by experienced and qualified dermatologists.
Also Read: Laser Skin Treatments In India
Skin Whitening Treatment Cost In India
The average cost of skin whitening treatment is between Rs. 1,500 – Rs. 3,000 for chemical peels, Rs. 4,000 – Rs. 30,000 for laser treatment and Rs. 6,000 – Rs.40,000 for injections. Similarly, the cost of fairness products can range between Rs. 200 – Rs. 2,000.
Why Do The Skin Lightening Treatment Prices Vary?
- The cost varies because skin lightening treatments are customised as per the individual skin type. Most doctors evaluate the skin tone and type before providing an estimated cost of the treatment.
- The area of the skin to be treated is crucial in determining the pricing as treatment performed on a relatively smaller body part like the face is less expensive than the larger body part
- Other factors such as the geographical location of the clinic, the expertise of the dermatologists and therapists, cost of equipment used etc. also make a difference in the overall expenditure.
To get an exact quote, you can visit a nearby skin clinic or dermatologist.
Also Read: Laser Skin Resurfacing In India
Is Skin Lightening Treatment Permanent?
The effects of these treatments can last between a few months to a few years. Dermatologists advise the following tips to maintain the longevity of any skin lighting treatment:
1. Leading a healthy lifestyle
2. Using a good sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful sun rays
3. Following a basic skin care routine
4. Opting for maintenance sessions from time to time
5. Consuming a balanced diet and increasing your intake of water
The results of bleaching agents and chemical peels are not permanent. However, laser treatments, are relatively considered a long-term solution for skin lightening. Laser treatment offers a permanent solution for removing tattoos and birthmarks but not so for treating tan and melasma.
Also Read: Effective Melasma Treatments That Work
Skin Lightening – Step By Step Procedure:
If you are confused about the best skin lightening method and do not know how to start, then you can follow these suggestions.
• Visit A Skin Clinic – The first step is to visit a reputed skin clinic for a consultation with the dermatologist and let him know about your concern.
• Choose A Preferred Option – After getting to know about various approaches for skin lightening treatments, you can choose the most suitable option as per the recommendation of your doctor.
• Follow A Recovery Plan – Every skin lightening treatment has a different duration of recovery, so it is ideal to follow pre as well as post-care instructions diligently.
• Prepare Your Skin For The Treatment – Make sure to prep your skin well before the treatment. You might have to apply some lotions before the skin lightening procedure as per your doctor’s recommendation.
• Go For Post-Treatment Care – A body part skin lightening process will only yield the desired results if you take care of your skin during the recovery period. Apply the prescribed lotions regularly and inform your doctor if you see any sudden or unexpected change in your skin. Regular use of sunscreen and adequate sun protection is necessary.
• Take Care Of Your Skin – Most importantly, if you want the skin brightening to last longer, you need to take care of your skin. The dermatologist usually suggests using sunscreen daily along with other suitable skin care products.
Also Read: How To Remove Dark Spots On Face?
FAQs On Skin Whitening:
Why is my skin getting darker with age?
As you age, the skin loses its ability to repair itself there is an accumulation of melanin in upper layers of skin and the damage caused over the years appear as darker skin tone.
Is skin lightening treatment safe?
Yes, most of the skin lightening treatments such as the laser and chemical peels and lightening injections are considered safe as they aim to reduce the production of melanin in the skin. However, it is advisable to consult a certified dermatologist to know which skin lightening treatment option is best for you.
Does Skin Lightening Peel The Skin?
Skin lightening to get an even tone can be achieved in different ways, and skin peeling is one of those techniques. Chemical peels and laser skin lightening can help in skin lightening.
How many sessions are required for underarm lightening treatment?
It takes around 6 to 8 sessions for underarm lightening treatment.
Hope you found this article on skin lightening informative and interesting! Now, that the summers are here and if you want to get rid of tan and want to flaunt an even skin tone, go ahead and book an appointment at your nearest skin clinic. Speak to the skin experts today to find out the safest and most effective skin lightening treatments for you!