With the increased options for various skin whitening treatments available globally, it has become easier than ever to restore the lost glow and skin tone. From laser treatments to bleaching, there are different ways to lighten your skin. Read this informative guide to learn more about skin lightening treatments, estimated costs, types, and more.
Skin lightening treatment aims at reducing the excessive melanin content in your skin. Since accumulation of melanin is responsible for your dark spots, uneven tone etc. a reduction in it gives you a lighter complexion. A skin lightening treatment can help treat melasma, sun damage, freckles and other types of marks.
Also Read: Effective Fairness Treatment Procedure
Best Skin Lightening Treatment Options
Different kinds of treatments can be done to achieve skin lightening. According to your needs, you can go with a skin lightening procedure on a specified body part or a face lightening treatment. Some of the most common skin lightening treatments are as follows –
- Chemical Peel For Skin Whitening – In this procedure, a solution containing alpha hydroxy acids from natural extracts is applied to remove the damaged outer layer of the skin, which has accumulated melanin allowing the healthier lower layers to appear on the surface. On the basis of the concentration, chemical peels can be of three types – light, medium, or deep. A chemical peel is a gentle option to lighten discoloured skin by effectively reducing facial blemishes, tan, dark spots and even out the skin tone. Chemical peels are mostly performed for a facial skin lightening procedure.
- Skin Whitening Laser Treatment – In laser treatment, the concerned skin is exposed to a concentrated beam of light. Due to its high energy, the excess melanin is broken down and dispersed by the natural immune system in the skin. As a result, healthier and brighter skin appears. The regenerated skin is flawless. This treatment is also known as laser peel or lasabrasion. The laser treatment helps in effectively reducing concerns like skin pigmentation, dark spots, sun tanning, dull skin etc. Laser treatment is used for both face and certain body parts brightening treatment.
Neelam Dhillon’s experience of Laser Skin Lightening at Oliva Skin and Hair Clinic:
- Skin Lightening Injections – Skin whitening injections use glutathione, a skin lightening agent. This stops the production of an enzyme called tyrosinase, which is involved in making melanin in the body. As per popular belief, these injections can detoxify the body, protect the skin from harmful UV rays and promote fair skin tone. The “Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database” has classified the use of this injection in the “possibly safe” category, though it does not comment on the effectiveness of a glutathione injection as a skin-lightening agent. Some studies suggest a high dosage of glutathione is unsafe and may cause severe side effects. Good evidence-based studies are needed to ascertain the results of glutathione.
Although, you can find these injections may be available in selected skin clinics. However, proper research must be done before choosing this option.
- Skin Lightening Products – You can find a wide range of chemical and lightening products in the market. Most of these products have materials like azelaic acid, arbutin, retinol, hydroquinone, glycolic acid, lactic acid and kojic acid, etc. Some of these ingredients are popular for their bleaching properties. Although these products might lighten your skin immediately but will not offer lasting results and might come with some side effects due to chemicals used in skin bleaching products. These are also not feasible for long term use.
- Arbutin – Arbutin is a popular ingredient in many skin lightening products and anti-pigmentation solutions. It is extremely beneficial to reduce freckles, stretch marks, lighten the colour of the skin as well as aging spots.
- Skin Whitening Surgery – Today, there is a massive interest in availing medically invasive procedures to treat pigmentary concerns. However, “skin whitening surgeries” do not exist. Most of the skin lightening treatments like laser toning and chemical peels are safe, effective, non-invasive and in-clinic procedures that require no hospitalisation and are done by experienced and qualified dermatologists.
Also Read: Laser Skin Treatments In India
Skin Whitening Treatment Cost In India
The average cost of skin lightening treatment is between Rs. 1,800 – Rs. 5,500 for chemical peels, Rs. 4,000 – Rs. 30,000 for laser treatment and Rs. 6,000 – Rs.40,000 for skin lightening injections. Similarly, the cost of fairness creams can range between Rs. 200 – Rs. 2,000.
Why Do The Skin Lightening Treatment Prices Vary?
- The cost varies because skin lightening treatments are customised as per the individual skin type.
- The area of the skin to be treated is crucial in determining the pricing as treatment performed on a relatively smaller body part like the face is less expensive than the larger body part
- Other factors such as the geographical location of the clinic, the expertise of the dermatologists and therapists, cost of equipment used etc. also make a difference in the overall expenditure.
Skin Whitening Before And After Results
Check out the before and after images to know the visible result of the skin lightening treatment on face.
Click Here to check the before and after results from skin lightening procedure.
Myth & Facts About Skin Whitening Treatment
Most people misunderstand skin lightening to be equivalent to skin whitening or fairness. According to expert dermatologists, skin whitening treatment is a popular myth. Skin whitening or altering the concentration of melanin with the use of harsh chemicals is unsafe and stems from social prejudices. It is a popular misconception and dermatologists strongly rule out the possibility of fading your complexion beyond the natural one.
Also Read: How To Remove Dark Spots On Face?
Is Skin Lightening Treatment Permanent?
The effects of skin lightening treatment can last between a few months to a few years.
Dermatologists advise the following tips to maintain the longevity of any skin lighting treatment:
- Leading a healthy lifestyle
- Using a good sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful sun rays
- Following a basic skin care routine
- Opting for maintenance sessions from time to time
- Consuming a balanced diet and increasing your intake of water
- The results of bleaching agents and chemical peels are not permanent. However, laser treatments, are relatively considered a long-term solution for skin lightening. Laser treatment offers a permanent solution for removing tattoos and birthmarks but not so for treating tan and melasma.
Skin Whitening Treatment Packages Available In India
If you are looking for restoring your even skin tone safely and effectively reputed skin clinics offer various packages of skin lightening treatments customised to match your specific grooming needs. You can choose from the following options based on the target area:
- Lightening treatment for full body
- Brightening procedure for facial skin
- Lightening treatment for underarms
- Brightening procedure for neck, hand and feet
- Lightening treatment for private parts, including inner thighs and bikini area.
Also Read: Effective Melasma Treatments That Work
FAQs On Skin Whitening:
- Why is My Skin Getting Darker With Age?
As you age, the skin loses its ability to repair itself there is an accumulation of melanin in upper layers of skin and the damage caused over the years appear as darker skin tone.
- Is Skin Lightening Treatment Safe?
Yes, skin lightening treatments such as the laser, chemical peels and lightening injections are considered safe as they aim to reduce the production of melanin in the skin. However, it is advisable to consult a certified dermatologist to know which skin lightening treatment option is best for you.
- Does Skin Lightening Peel The Skin?
Skin lightening to get an even tone can be achieved in different ways, and skin peeling is one of those techniques.
- How Many Sessions Are Required For Underarm Lightening Treatment?
It takes around 6 to 8 sessions for underarm lightening treatment.
Hope you found this article on skin lightening informative and interesting! Now, that the summers are here and if you want to get rid of tan and want to flaunt an even skin tone, go ahead and book an appointment at your nearest skin clinic. Our advanced clinics offers skin whitening treatments in the following cities – Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Kolkata, Kochi and Vizag. Speak to the skin doctors today to find out the safest and most effective skin lightening treatments for you!