Did you know that you have the most beautiful, flawless and glowing complexion? Yes, it is true! However, it is hiding beneath the upper layer of your skin. There is a magical treatment called microdermabrasion, which can help in getting the rejuvenated and flawless layers of the skin from beneath in utmost conducive ways. A routine of microdermabrasion by an expert dermatologist can help in revealing your real skin.
Microdermabrasion treatment is a cosmetic procedure that entails the use of an instrument that gently sands your skin. It is mildly abrasive which helps to remove the dead skin cells from the upper layer of skin to reveal younger, firmer and brighter skin from under.
Is Microdermabrasion Good For Indian Skin?
It not only removes discoloration, blemishes, age spots, sun damage, stretch marks, etc. but also helps in thickening the collagen of your skin. Extra collagen means younger-looking skin for long. It is suitable for all skin tones and all ages, as it does not cause any scarring and skin color change. It does not require any numbing as there is no pain involved in the procedure. Microdermabrasion also helps tighten your skin making it firm and smooth also removing the mild to moderate scars and deformities on the skin surface.
Must Read: How To Get Rid Of Old Scars Permanently?
What Are The Benefits Of Microdermabrasion?
Here are some benefits of microdermabrasion that are going to change your perception about this wonderful treatment:
- Microdermabrasion helps with acne and acne scars
- It reduces the appearance of fine line and wrinkles (premature signs of ageing)
- Closes and shrinks large open pores
- Lessen the visibility of stretch marks
- Helps to get the skin rid of discoloration, hyperpigmentation and dark spots
- Remove age spots and blackheads
- Reduce sun damage including melasma
- Improve the overall complexion and brighten dull-looking skin
What Happens During A Microdermabrasion Treatment?
This procedure is a non-invasive and non-surgical one, which can be completed in less than an hour by an expert dermatologist. Before beginning, the room must be set and skin test must be conducted to check for readiness of the treatment. Also, remove contact lenses and jewelry. Steps for microdermabrasion include –
- Cleansing the skin by a trained therapist, using gentle and mild cleansers suitable for your skin type.
- Wear eye protector goggles to prevent any debris from flying into your eyes during the procedure.
- The dermatologist now places the device wand onto the skin in a way that the diamond-shaped crystals stay right over the skin. Also, the suction device along with the machine is placed upright so it can suck up all the grime and dirt.
- The crystals begin to exfoliate the top layer of the skin gently and thus dermatologist keeps rolling it over the face/skin in rhythmic movements
- Microdermabrasion can thicken the skin causing a delay in aging and create healthy and vibrant skin with a lighter complexion. This procedure encourages the production of a new layer of skin that is rich in elastin and collagen, both of which are necessary for younger-looking skin.
- The last step of Microdermabrasion requires you to apply a gentle moisturizer followed by sunscreen to protect the skin from sun rays.
- Post this one session, the dermatologist gives some instructions and prescriptions that must be adhered to, and follow up with your recommended sessions for reaching the desired results.
What Are The Post Care Tips?
- Since the procedure is mildly abrasive, the skin will become sensitive and delicate for the next 48 hours. It is mandatory to use sunscreen after each session as the sun rays can damage the tender skin.
- Skincare must be gentle and only mild products must be used in order to calm the new skin. Avoid using harsh products (acne products, AHA/BHA, exfoliators, scrubs, and retinol products) for at least a week post-treatment.
- Lastly, it is very important to stay hydrated and drink water throughout the day to increase the moisture content of the skin.
Microdermabrasion Vs Chemical Peel Vs Laser Resurfacing
All the above procedures cater to a different set of skin concerns. However, dermabrasion is an out and out surgical and abrasive treatment that is not as popular for the excruciating pain and side effects. Microdermabrasion works best on superficial mild to moderate blemishes, scars, suntan, pigmentation, lines, and more. The laser is used for more deeper skin issues and can help in penetrating deep into the skin to remove severe and moderate scars, hyperpigmentation, skin lightening, and others.
- Microdermabrasion – It is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure used to refresh the top layer of the skin without any side effects. It is not a surgical procedure unlike dermabrasion and does not have a laser beam or rays of light involved. In addition, microdermabrasion has no downtime unlike in dermabrasion where wounds and bleeding are seen soon after the procedure. The microdermabrasion machine is designed to exfoliate the skin by using crystals and suction mechanism. Once the procedure is complete, the patient can resume his/her daily activities without the need for specified recovery time. The result is instantaneous and can be performed every week if needed. It can be performed on any part of the body, by an expert dermatologist.
- Chemical Peel – The biggest difference between the two treatments is how the dead skin cells are removed from the skin. A chemical peel is a form of chemical exfoliation that uses a chemical solution to dissolve the connection that holds dead skin cells together on the epidermis. The dead skin cells then shed or flake off, revealing smoother and healthier skin underneath. Even though clients report that their skin looks noticeably brighter, more even and smoother after only one treatment, a series of treatments is recommended for long-term results.
- Laser Resurfacing – A versatile cosmetic treatment that uses light and heat energy emissions to vaporize the upper layer of the skin. It is deeper than microdermabrasion in terms of penetration and effect. The laser can be performed on any part of the body and can be used to remove all forms of skin issues (including tattoos). The laser comes in various types; each one has its own use and benefit. Laser resurfacing procedure has mild side-effects and the downtime is minimum (lasts for 1 week)
How Much Does Microdermabrasion Cost In India?
The cost of a single session of microdermabrasion treatment ranges between Rs 2,000 and Rs 5,000. It varies for different individuals as it depends on the severity of concern, underlying cause and number of sessions required.
However, this price is indicative only and may vary from one clinic to another based on factors like its reputation, its location, the type of equipment used, along with the experience of the dermatologist.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Microdermabrasion?
Potential side-effects are minimal and limited as the upper epidermis (skin) is removed very gently. Some reactions can be seen if you naturally have very sensitive skin, such as tautness, redness, sensitivity and bruising. Most clients do not experience any side effects. If you are someone with delicate skin, please notify the dermatologist before commencing the treatment.
Microdermabrasion treatment is a beneficial tool to exfoliate the skin gently and in a conducive way. Check with an expert dermatologist for treating the skin deformities in a quick and effective way without any pain. Moreover, get a rejuvenated look by following the precautions and follow-up routine post microdermabrasion.