Did you know that you have the most beautiful, flawless and glowing complexion. Yes, it is true! However, it is hiding beneath the upper layer of your skin. have tried all kinds’ of scrubs and exfoliants available in the market, but still not managed to get that glowing skin. However, there is a magical treatment called microdermabrasion, which can help in getting the rejuvenated and flawless layers of the skin from beneath in utmost conducive ways. A routine of microdermabrasion by an expert dermatologist can help in revealing your real skin.
What Is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion treatment is a cosmetic procedure that entails the use of an instrument that gently sands your skin. It is mildly abrasive which helps to remove the dead skin cells from the upper layer of skin to reveal younger, firmer and brighter skin from under.
How effective is microdermabrasion? Very effective! It not only removes discolouration, blemishes, age spots, sun damage, stretch marks etc. but also helps in thickening the collagen of your skin. Extra collagen means younger looking skin for long. It is suitable for all skin tones and all ages, as it does not cause any scarring and skin colour change. It does not require any numbing as there is no pain involved in the procedure. Microdermabrasion also helps tighten your skin making it firm and smooth also removing the mild to moderate scars and deformities on the skin surface.
Dermabrasion Vs Microdermabrasion Vs Laser
All the above procedures cater to a different set of skin deformities. However, dermabrasion is an out and out surgical and abrasive treatment that is not as popular for the excruciating pain and side effects. Microdermabrasion works best on superficial mild to moderate blemishes, scars, sun tan, pigmentation, lines, and more. Laser is used for more deeper skin issues and can help in penetrating deep into the skin to remove severe and moderate scars, hyperpigmentation, skin lightening and others.
Microdermabrasion – It is non-invasive cosmetic procedure used to refresh the top layer of skin without any side effects. It is not a surgical procedure unlike dermabrasion, and does not have laser beam or rays of light involved. In addition, microdermabrasion has no downtime unlike in dermabrasion where wounds and bleeding are seen soon after the procedure. The microdermabrasion machine is designed to exfoliate the skin by using crystals and suction mechanism. Once the procedure is complete, the patient can resume his/her daily activities without the need for specified recovery time. The result is instantaneous and can be performed every week if needed. It can be performed on any part of the body, by an expert dermatologist.
Dermabrasion – It is a more drastic approach to peeling or removing many layers of the skin until the smooth skin is revealed. The recovery time is longer compared to the other two methods and the side effects are prominent. The procedure requires the use of a hand tool with rotating wheel and a wire brush that will peel the skin. It requires local/ general anaesthesia before the session and can cause discomfort during the session. Dermabrasion cannot be performed on the neck or on dark skinned people.
Laser – A versatile cosmetic treatment that uses light and heat energy emissions to vaporize the upper layer of the skin. It is deeper than microdermabrasion in terms penetration and effect. Laser can be performed on any part of the body and can be used to remove all forms of skin issues (including tattoos). Laser comes in various types; each one has its own use and benefit. Laser therapy has mild side-effects and the downtime is minimum (lasts for 1 week)
Different Concerns That Are Treated With Microdermabrasion
It is good for almost all skin types including dry, oily or combination skin, as it is not an aggressive procedure. It works in two levels; in the first level the machine with its crystal design, gently exfoliates the upper layer of the skin meanwhile a vacuum creates a suction to suck the debris and clean the surface of the skin. This procedure is extremely common in teenagers and youngsters along with adults as it is a painless and quick treatment with multiple benefits.
Explain Microdermabrasion Procedure In Detail?
This procedure is a non-invasive and non-surgical one, which can be completed in less than an hour by an expert dermatologist. Before beginning, the room must be set and skin test must be conducted to check for readiness of the treatment. Also, remove contact lenses and jewellery. Steps for microdermabrasion include –
- Cleansing the skin by a trained therapist, using gentle and mild cleansers suitable for your skin type
- Wear eye protector goggles to prevent any debris from flying into your eyes during the procedure
- The dermatologist now places the device wand onto the skin in a way that the diamond shaped crystals stay right over the skin. Also the suction device along with the machine, is placed upright so it can suck up all the grime and dirt
- The crystals begin to exfoliate the top layer of the skin gently and thus dermatologist keeps rolling it over the face / skin in rhythmic movements
- Microdermabrasion can thicken the skin causing a delay in aging and create a healthy and vibrant skin with lighter complexion. This procedure encourages the production of new layer of skin that is rich in elastin and collagen, both of which are necessary for younger looking skin.
- The last step of Microdermabrasion requires you to apply a gentle moisturizer followed by sunscreen to protect the skin from sunrays.
- Post this one session, the dermatologist gives some instructions and prescriptions that must be adhered to, and follow up with your recommended sessions for reaching the desired results.
How Will Microdermabrasion Improve Your Skin?
Microdermabrasion has more roles than just acting as an exfoliator. Here are some benefits of microdermabrasion that are going change your perception about this wonderful treatment
- Microdermabrasion helps with acne and acne scars
- It reduces the appearance of fine line and wrinkles (premature signs of aging)
- Closes and shrinks large open pores
- Lessen the visibility of stretch marks
- Helps getting the skin rid of discolouration, hyperpigmentation and dark spots
- Remove age spots and blackheads
- Reduce sun damage including melasma
- Improve overall complexion and brighten dull looking skin
What To Expect After Microdermabrasion?
The beauty of Microdermabrasion treatment is that there is no downtime. You can resume your activities for the day without the hassle of any adverse side effects. You must remember the skin gets tender and raw post session, so be very gentle with their skin.
The result is immediately seen post treatment and a new glow will be consistent for at least a week. You will experience softer, firmer and brighter complexion almost instantaneously.
Microdermabrasion can be performed on a weekly basis for the first 3-4 sessions. Once the initial sessions are complete, you can maintain your new healthy skin by performing microdermabrasion once a month as directed by your dermatologist.
Also Read: How To Remove Deep Chicken Pox Scars?
Post Microdermabrasion Care Instructions
- Since the procedure is mildly abrasive, the skin will become sensitive and delicate for the next 48 hours. It is mandatory to use sunscreen after each session as the sun rays can damage the tender skin.
- Skin care must be gentle and only mild products must be used in order to calm the new skin. Avoid using harsh products (acne products, AHA/BHA, exfoliators, scrubs and retinol products) for at least a week post treatment.
- Lastly, it is very important to stay hydrated and drink water throughout the day to increase the moisture content of the skin.
Side Effects Of Microdermabrasion Treatment
Microdermabrasion treatment is considered one of the safest cosmetic procedures without causing any severe side effects. Potential side-effects are minimal and limited as the upper epidermis (skin) is removed very gently. Some reactions can be seen if you naturally have very sensitive skin, such as tautness, redness, sensitivity and bruising. Most clients do not experience any side effects. If you are someone with delicate skin, please notify the dermatologist before commencing the treatment.
Is microdermabrasion safe?
It is 100% safe, adding to the list of benefits that come with Microdermabrasion. It is a non-invasive procedure without the adverse side effects and no downtime. Microdermabrasion is used to enhance the complexion without damaging the deeper layers of skin.
How many sessions of microdermabrasion are needed for treating acne scars?
It entirely depends on the severity of the acne scars. The number of sessions also depend on the age of the scar (old or new scars). Microdermabrasion has shown positive results in reducing the appearance of acne scars. However, it cannot eliminate deep scar or keloids.
Is microdermabrasion procedure painful?
No. The microdermabrasion tool contains tiny aluminium oxide crystals that gently lift the upper layer of skin without causing any pain during or after the treatment. It may create a warm sensation with a slight hint of tingling effect.
How long will a microdermabrasion treatment session last?
Often called a “lunch hour” session, Microdermabrasion treatment last between 20-60 minutes. Patients can see visible results immediately post session, but in order to see drastic improvement, a number of sessions are recommended.
How much does microdermabrasion cost?
The cost of microdermabrasion depends upon several factors like the area of skin, strength of deformity, health factors, etc. Usually average price ranges between Rs. 2000-2500 per session for a good skin clinic in India, which follows sterile procedures and stringent protocols.
Microdermabrasion treatment is a beneficial tool to exfoliate the skin gently and in a conducive way. Check with an expert dermatologist for treating the skin deformities in a quick and effective way without any pain. Moreover, get a rejuvenated look by following the precautions and follow-up routine post microdermabrasion.