From muscle exertion and weight fluctuations to pregnancy, stretch marks can be a very frequent occurrence for most people. Statistics show that they occur more frequently in women than men. Naturally, this is not the most desirable skin texture, and while they can be treated, each case is unique.
What Are Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks are a type of scarring that occurs when areas of the skin go through a state of excessive growth or ‘stretching’. These usually appear in areas like the stomach, thighs, hips, breasts, upper arms, and lower back. Stretch marks manifest as red or purple lines initially and then eventually fade into thin, white-silvery lines with a zig-zag texture.
Read More: Safe And Effective Stretch Marks Removal
Causes Of Stretch Marks
- Pregnancy – Stretch marks related to pregnancy are very common for women. This is directly related to the large weight gain during the period. Small tears are caused in the supporting skin which appear as glossy and white streaks.
- Rapid Weight Change – An increase in weight around the stomach, thigh, and hip areas can lead to the creation of stretch marks. These can also appear or increase in frequency on extreme weight loss from the stretching of the loose skin.
- Corticosteroid Creams, Lotions, And Pills – An effect of most corticosteroid creams and lotions is the depletion of collagen in the skin. Collagen is responsible for the elasticity and texture of the skin, and the lack of it can be directly related to the increase of stretch marks.
Areas Of The Body That Can Be Affected By Stretch Marks
Common areas for stretch marks to appear are the stomach, breasts, buttocks, thighs, and hips. These are typically the first areas to take on weight gain, and as a result, tend to be the most prone to elasticity changes. With the combination of the weight and the wear on the areas from general movement and muscle stress, stretch marks form quite easily.
How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks?
Stretch Mark Removal Treatment (For Men & Women)
As with most skin texture treatments, stretch marks can be effectively treated. While lifestyle changes supplemented with creams and lotions is a conventional way to approach the issue, microdermabrasion and chemical peels can tackle stretch marks on a surface level. By far the most effective way to deal with stretch marks is with laser treatment.
- Laser Treatment For Stretch Marks
- How Does It Work? This treatment uses Pixel Erbium-YAG Fractional Resurfacing Lasers, which creates microscopic wounds. The stretch marks start to fade over time by breaking up the tissue below. This promotes the growth of new skin by inducing collagen production and cell renewal, which results in new skin being formed.
- Benefits Of Laser Treatment: Laser treatment is by far the most effective way of dealing with stretch marks. It has a low downtime and is not invasive. When compared to other solutions (like surgery), laser treatments are cheaper and do not have any major risks involved.
- Side Effects Of Laser Treatment: Laser treatments for stretch marks have minimal side effects. Typically, mild redness, itching or swelling may occur at the target sites, but these only last for a few days at most. Anything severe will only occur in clinics with low standards of safety.
- Before And After Results: Surface level stretch marks can dissipate within a month of the treatment with the deeper stretch marks gradually improving in texture and toning down over three to six months.
- Other Treatments For Stretch Marks (For Men & Women)
- Microdermabrasion For Stretch Marks: The process of removing dead cells from the surface layers of skin by way of exfoliation is microdermabrasion. This can fade away stretch marks by removal of the same layers. However, this could lead to pigmentation and further scarring.
- Chemical Peels: A chemical peel uses a chemical solution to remove the top layers of damaged and dead skin to reveal the base layers where stretch marks and scars are not that prominent. Their success rate with stretch marks leads only to fading and not complete removal.
Laser Treatment For Stretch Marks Cost In India
The cost of stretch marks removal in India ranges between Rs 3,500 to Rs 5,500 per session. However the overall cost varies based on factors like area of the skin to be treated, skin type, strength of stretch marks, experience of dermatologist and underlying health condition.
While stretch marks can tax on an individual’s aesthetic appeal, laser treatments can be effectively used to tackle the issue putting you back on the track of flawless skin.
For more information visit your nearest Oliva Skin & Hair Clinic today!