Do you know how many calories do you burn in a day? You should—especially if you are trying to achieve your fitness goal. The number of calories you burn in a day depends on your daily physical activity level. Additionally, the energy required by your body for regular functioning while at rest also metabolises calories. Creating a calorie deficit is the secret to effective weight management and fat loss. Read on to know more!
What Is A Calorie?
A calorie is a unit used to measure the energy a specific food provides to maintain our body’s functions. Our diet’s primary energy sources are carbohydrates, fats and proteins containing calories with varying amounts of energy per gram. Different food types have various calorie counts; for instance, oxidation of 1g of dietary carbohydrates and proteins yields approximately 4kcal, whereas oxidation of 1g of fats gives about 9kcal.
Do Men And Women Burn Calories Differently?
Yes, men and women burn calories at different rates due to their respective body composition. Men generally have less body fat and more muscle mass than women, so men burn more calories even at rest.
Must Read: Non-surgical Weight Loss Treatment
What Factors Affect The Amount Of Calories You Burn In A Day?
Many factors affect the calorie you burn in a day. While some elements are not in your control, you can manage other aspects for better weight management. These include the following:
- Age and gender: As you age, the metabolism slows down and burns fewer calories per day. As mentioned earlier, men have less body fat and tend to burn more calories than women.
- Daily physical activity levels: Those who are physically active or exercise daily burn more calories than those who lead a sedentary lifestyle. At least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous activity result in an effective calorie burn.
- Body composition: People with more muscle mass burn more calories than those with less muscle. So you should go for a body composition analysis under the supervision of weight management experts and plan your health goals accordingly.
- Physical built: People with larger body size burn more calories than those with petite body frame, even at rest.
- Dietary habits: Thermogenesis generates body heat while burning calories, and it differs based on your diet. For instance, protein-rich foods increase thermogenesis by temporarily boosting metabolism.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Pregnant and breast-feeding women burn more calories than others. This explains why doctors advise expecting women and new moms to increase their energy intake by almost 240 to 285kcal/day.
How Many Calories Do You Burn While Performing Daily Activities?
The calories you burn in a workout is in tandem with your weight. Here is a list of diverse tasks or physical activities that will result in burning the approximate number of calories if performed for 30 minutes based on your weight:
|Tasks||56kg person||70 kg person||84 kg person|
|Walking at 7 km/h||150||
|Cleaning the drain||150||186||222|
|Washing the car||135||167||200|
|Walking at 6 km/h||135||167||200|
|Walking at 5.5 km/h||120||149||178|
|Moderate activity such as playing with the kids||120||149||178|
|Sitting in meetings||49||60||72|
|Light office work||45||56||67|
|Standing in a queue||38||47||56|
Research also says that a 20-minute high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout performed every week improves the body’s aerobic fitness and fat loss significantly.
Once you know how many calories you need to burn to lose weight, you can plan your calorie intake and exercise to reach your weight goal. Conventionally, one needs to create a calorie deficit to maintain the ideal weight. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends reducing calorie intake by 500kcal/day to lose five per cent of the body weight in two weeks. However, this also depends on your muscle mass and stored body fat and the number of calories you burn throughout the week during exercise. It is best to seek professional help and get a personalised weight management solution that is sustainable based on your food habits, health status and lifestyle.
Visit your nearest Oliva Skin & Hair Clinic to avail customised weight management solutions from top-notch industry experts and get ready to become fat to fit!