Are you losing more than 100 strands of hair per day? Have you tried using hair care products and hair supplements but failed to control your hair fall? If yes, it is time for you to read this article and explore the causes of brittle hair and learn about tips and treatment to strengthen weak hair.
Why Is It Critical To Strengthen Hair Roots?
Hair grows from the hair follicles that are present deep inside the skin, be it on the scalp or anywhere else on the body. These hair follicles are also known as hair roots or hair bulbs. Specialised cells present in hair roots give rise to the hair shaft that protrudes out of the skin and grows to form strands. Strong hair roots allow hair follicles to complete their growth cycle and then shed.
Due to various physical, chemical and hormonal factors, the hair roots become weak, making the hair strands brittle, which leads to increased hair fall and breakage. Let us find out more about the causes of brittle hair in the next section.
What Are The Cause Of Weak Hair Roots?
Here are some of the factors that cause weakening of the hair roots–
- Hormonal Imbalance – Our hormonal levels directly affect the growth cycle of our hair. A hormonal imbalance can cause thinning of the hairs and prevent them from being healthy and long. Menopause, thyroid problems, post-pregnancy changes can result in hormonal fluctuations that weaken hair roots and disrupt the normal hair growth cycle.
- Genetics – Some people have a genetic predisposition to have specific hair disorders, e.g. patterned hair loss. Androgenetic alopecia in men and women is the most common type of genetic hair loss resulting from gradual diminution of the size of hair follicles.
- Stress – Mental stress can negatively affect the hair growth cycle and trigger hair fall. Similarly, physical stress due to tight hairstyles or the excessive use of hair styling tools can exert a tractional force on the hair strands and roots. Extreme hair treatments like permanent straightening or perming and regular use of hair curlers, hot irons and hot combs can change the bonds in the hair follicle and weaken the cuticles of the hair making them more prone to breakage and fall.
- Scalp Infection – Bacterial or fungal infections on the scalp, such as boils on the scalp, ringworm of the scalp, can damage the hair roots to the extent of causing scarring and thus lead to permanent hair loss in the affected areas.
- Dandruff – This scalp condition occurs due to increased production of natural oil, i.e. sebum on the scalp, which promotes fungal infection. Flaky skin and itchiness are some common symptoms of dandruff. Vigorous scratching due to itching can physically damage the hair strands. Additionally, the fungal infection can weaken the hair roots due to inflammation.
- Chemical-based Hair Products – Strong chemicals present in hair colours, bleaching agents and hair styling products can cause allergic contact dermatitis and affect your hair follicles adversely.
- Unhealthy Diet – Consuming a diet that lacks essential nutrients such as protein, vitamins, and minerals, especially iron and vitamin B12 can lead to a gradual weakening of hair roots and increased hair fall.
- Medication – Certain drugs can also weaken the hair roots and cause the hair to shed prematurely. These include anticancer drugs, thyroid medications, blood thinners (anticoagulants), gout medicines, anti-depressants and anti-hypertensives.
- Environmental Factors – Exposure to dirt, soot, harmful chemicals due to pollution may cause oxidative damage to hair strands and follicles and weaken the hair roots. Hair changes may range from diffuse hair fall, scalp irritation, burning sensation and dandruff to dry, frizzy and brittle hair.
Must Read: Top 15 Causes Of Hair Loss In Men And Women
What Are The Signs Of Weak Hair?
Weak hair has the following characteristics –
- Split ends
- Dry, frizzy, limp and dull texture
- Increased brittleness or prone to breakage
- Shedding occurs from the root
- Prone to getting entangled
Are you losing excessive hair? Check it now –
How To Diagnose Weak Hair Roots?
If you start to notice increased split ends, brittleness and hair fall; it could be due to weak hair roots. For a detailed investigation, a consultation with a dermatologist or trichologist is the first step. They can assess your scalp and hair condition, and analyse your medical history to identify the factors that may be causing the weakening of your hair roots. Your doctor may recommend a few tests to confirm the underlying cause, like a hormonal imbalance or a nutritional deficiency.
It is essential to understand that an appropriate diagnosis will help your dermatologist select a suitable treatment option to strengthen your hair roots and eventually boost your hair growth.
Treatments To Strengthen Weak Hair Roots
Any treatment for weak hair roots should aim to nourish the scalp with essential nutrients and growth factors that will strengthen the hair follicles.
Correcting the underlying cause along with procedural interventions if required, helps you restore your weak hair roots to health. A dermatologist may advise PRP therapy in a few cases along with the use of topical solutions and oral supplements.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatment is a treatment popular among both women and men across India to control hair thinning and reverse patterned hair loss. Plasma separated from the client’s blood sample is a powerhouse of nutrients in the form of growth factors. Dermatologists inject this platelet-rich plasma into the affected regions of the scalp that have acute hair thinning or weak hair roots. This helps rejuvenate the weak hair roots and make the hair healthy again. Hair growth also improves while a substantial decrease in hair fall is also noticeable after the treatment.
Watch this video now
With successive sessions, you can see an increase in the volume and density of hair. With no associated adverse side effects, PRP therapy is the best hair strengthening treatment that provides effective results.
Must Read: PRP Hair Treatment Cost and Success Rate
Natural Tips To Strengthen Weak Hair
Here are some tips to improve the overall health of your hair –
- Consult a dermatologist before buying any hair care products.
- Your hair type and scalp condition must determine the frequency of your hair wash, e.g. oily scalp needs frequent washes.
- Avoid combing and using a hair-dryer when your hair is still wet.
- Avoid damaging your hair with the excessive use of heat styling tools such as hair straighteners and curling irons.
- Stay away from hair colouring, bleaching, and other chemical treatments.
- Use a brush with soft or natural bristles so that your hair roots do not suffer due to traction.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes three to four times a week. Regular exercise can help keep stress levels down and in turn, help you maintain healthy hair and body indirectly.
- Do not indulge in unhealthy food habits or attempt crash diets. Consuming a diet rich in green leafy vegetables, proteins, healthy fats, and whole grains will provide your scalp and hair with plenty of nourishment and improve its overall health.
- You can take vitamin, D and B complex supplements to enhance hair growth and keep your hair healthy. Check with a dermatologist or a nutritionist for the appropriate dosage of these supplements.
- Cover your hair with a scarf when you step out to shield it from pollution and the harmful rays of the sun.
Follow the above tips to restore your brittle hair to health. However, if you do not experience any reduction in your hair fall, you need to go for a medical diagnosis to identify the underlying cause for your hair loss.
Book an appointment at Oliva Skin & Hair Clinic today to seek the expert advice of a leading trichologist and get ready to flaunt a healthy mane again!