Table of Contents
Hair loss is a sensitive subject and unfortunately owing to the times we live in, there is information overload on this topic on every possible media platform. Most people find it difficult to wrap their heads around the varied opinions floating around regarding the different hair loss treatments available in the market, like the PRP Hair Treatment. This sometimes leads to the blurring of the line between facts and myths.
This article aims at clearing the air around the much talked about PRP Hair Treatment. So, if you are someone who has been intrigued by this non-invasive hair loss treatment and is considering to finally take the leap, keep reading!
What Is Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy?
The Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy is not something that has been newly discovered. PRP has been used in the treatment process of various sports and skeletal injuries in addition to surgeries conducted on the jaw and face of an individual known as maxillofacial surgeries. After witnessing high success rates in the above procedures, PRP therapy has now become a preferred choice for individuals battling genetic and patterned hair loss.
Platelet-rich plasma is a concentrated form of platelets which is obtained from the client’s blood and injected into the scalp. Platelets essentially play a major role in clotting of blood and repairing damaged blood vessels. Other than this, they are also rich in proteins referred to as growth factors that rejuvenate and stimulate the hair follicles to grow and divide, thereby thickening the hair. They also secrete additional growth factors for as long as they are active, thus enabling new hair cells to develop.
Let’s take a look at the PRP hair treatment procedure –
- 15-20 ml of blood is collected in a small cannula through a vein in the client’s hand.
- This is followed by the separation of the platelet component from the blood by centrifugation.
- The concentrated platelets are activated.
- The platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is then injected at the root of the hair on the scalp where hair loss is observed, with the help of a tiny needle.
On an average, 6-8 monthly sessions are required in the PRP hair treatment procedure to see desired results.
Myths About PRP Hair Loss Treatment
- I’m Too Young To Have A PRP Hair Restoration Treatment Session – A lot of individuals are misguided by the opinion that only ‘old people’ undergo PRP hair treatment, which is absolutely untrue. There is no age limit to this treatment, although most reputed clinics only take candidates who are 18 years of age and above. Individuals in the age bracket of 24-45 are the most prone to genetic and patterned hair loss, and avail this treatment. So yes, you don’t just have to be middle-aged to avail the benefits of PRP hair treatment.
- PRP Hair Restoration Is Only For Men And Not For Women – Blame the adverts on the web as well as hoardings that showcase only men to be the beneficiaries of the PRP treatment, which is not the case. Men, as well as women suffering hair loss, can safely undergo this treatment. The gender of the client does not affect the PRP hair treatment effectiveness. The only thing that needs to be paid attention to is, to approach a dermato-trichologist who is well experienced in handling both the genders since hair loss and its patterns differ in men and women.
- PRP Hair Restoration Treatment Is Very Costly – This is nothing but a myth. The PRP hair treatment cost actually proves to be quite economical when compared to the lifelong cost of home remedies, therapies as well as OTC medications. Additionally, these hair loss combating methods show limited and temporary results (sometimes no result at all) and the chances of reoccurrence of your problems are high too. You don’t have to let go of your life’s savings to pay for the PRP hair treatment cost. And the amount you pay is totally worth the results you will witness.
- PRP Hair Restoration Treatment Is Painful & It Hurts – This is another myth that should not deter you. The minimal pain experienced when the platelets are injected into the scalp hold no weight in front of the ultimate PRP hair treatment effectiveness. An anesthetic is offered to the candidates which is often not needed by them because the pain is so mild.
- PRP Hair Loss Treatment Is Immediate – Good things take time! Therefore, the PRP hair treatment result time usually is between 3-6 months as the procedure works by stimulating and strengthening hair follicles. This means it usually takes 3-6 months to see visible results in the form of reduced hair fall as well as new hair growth. This PRP hair treatment result time may vary between different candidates, owing to a number of factors like age, severity of hair loss, genetics, etc.
Top Facts About PRP Hair Loss Treatment
Now that we have debunked some of the myths surrounding PRP hair treatment, let us shed light on some top facts about hair loss and the benefits of PRP treatment.
- Genetics Is The Number One Contributor For Baldness – Yes! We might want to blame a lot of other factors, but the truth is that your genes are the main contributor to baldness, which is otherwise referred to as androgenetic alopecia or male/female patterned baldness. This gene can be inherited from either of your parents, and sadly, you have no control over it. PRP hair treatment comes to your rescue here in treating genetic hair loss alongside appropriate medication wherever required.
Also Read: Common Causes Of Hair Loss In Men & Women
- Hair Loss Can Be Reversed – You read that right. If your hair loss is being caused by factors like poor diet, excess stress/anxiety, hormonal imbalances, infection, illness, etc. it can be controlled as soon as these underlying factors are treated effectively, thus making it a reversible process. PRP hair treatment leads to hair regrowth, thus reversing the hair loss process.
- Baldness Is Influenced By Internal Factors Rather Than External Or Environmental Factors – Stop blaming external/environmental factors like the weather, excessive hair washing, wearing hats/caps, etc. for your hair loss. The baldness you are experiencing is primarily influenced by internal triggers like genetics, stress, diet, hormones, illnesses, etc. Diagnosing these triggers, controlling them via medication, and additionally undergoing the PRP hair treatment procedure for hair regrowth is an ideal plan of action here.
- Getting A Correct Diagnosis Is Important – Like discussed above, hair loss can be reversed once the underlying causative factor can be diagnosed and treated. If you are targeting the wrong causes, you will reach nowhere. Therefore getting a correct diagnosis is extremely important to kick-start the treatment process. For example, if your hair loss is due to your poor diet, PRP will only help you in the long-run if you also improve your diet simultaneously by eating nutrient-dense food.
Benefits Of PRP Hair Loss Treatment
- Safe Procedure – The PRP hair treatment procedure is extremely safe, as it is conducted using the client’s blood platelets. This, thereby, zeroes down the chances of any infections, allergies, and adverse events. Specially trained dermato-trichologists taking all the sterile precautions add to the safety of this procedure.
- Minimal Discomfort – The PRP hair treatment side effects are almost nil, and as mentioned above, the pain and discomfort experienced during this procedure are minimal.
- No Downtime Or Recovery – PRP therapy has no real downtime or recovery period. The PRP hair treatment side effects consisting of possible heaviness of head, minor/rare redness, etc. disappear in no time, thereby not disturbing your agenda for the day.
- Effective Results – After proving its effectiveness in cases of sports injuries and other surgeries, PRP has shown consistent and effective results as a hair regrowth treatment by delivering growth factors to the hair roots in a meticulous manner.
- Affordable Cost – The availment of hair regrowth benefits while not having to break the bank is the icing on the cake. The affordable costs for PRP procedures are an addition to the long list of its merits.
Also Read: Things To Know About PRP Hair Loss Treatment
It is extremely important to address the facts and clear the myths surrounding PRP hair treatment procedure so that an interested candidate is not blindly believing the myths and is instead approaching and consulting an expert dermato-trichologist to weigh in his or her hair loss treatment options.
Are you one of such candidates? If yes, our advice to you is to seek helpful information from a leading expert in the field.