Does Dutasteride Help In Treating Hair Loss?
Dutasteride is a drug that might just save your hair! Recommended by expert dermato-trichologists worldwide, Dutasteride is considered the best oral treatment to fight against hair loss. If you are losing more hair than you should, then try this powerful antidote and save your hair.
What Is Dutasteride?
Dutasteride is a drug that is a 5α- reductase inhibitor making it a type of anti-androgen. The drug works by decreasing the production of an androgen sex hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Dutasteride inhibits all three forms of 5-alpha reductase and brings down the DHT levels in the blood by 98%. DHT is mainly found on the scalp and prostate gland, where it affects the body in a negative manner.
Note: This medication must not be used on women and children.
How It Benefits In Hair Regrowth?
Dutasteride is mainly used to fight hair fall, however it can also be used to regrow hair as well. Men suffering from male pattern baldness have high levels of dihydrotestosterone or simply, DHT. This is a hormone that is naturally produced by the testosterone through an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase.
Dutasteride works by preventing the effects of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase, which thereby blocks the formation of DHT. When the drug performs this task, hair loss is reduced significantly. The drug also helps increase number of scalp hair as well as fills in balding areas of the scalp.
Of course the results vary from one person to another, but it has been observed that Dutasteride can regrow hair.
Also Read: How Hair Loss Happens Due To Medications?
Dutasteride Dosage For Hair Loss
The Dutasteride dosage prescribed to fight against hair fall is 0.5mg.
There are other quantities/doses that have been tested. The effects were monitored and observed with impeccable supervision. After thorough monitoring of a dose and its effects, the conclusion was made in favour of Dutasteride 0.5 mg.
Intake of Dutasteride 0.5 mg has shown positive results in terms of reducing hair loss by 96%.
Is It Approved By FDA?
Yes, absolutely. Dutasteride is an FDA approved drug. This drug was developed by GlaxoSmithKline and was patented in 1996. It is available as a generic medication and it is used primarily to treat enlarged prostate in men. It is also used to stop hair loss and help regrow hair.
Dutasteride is a prescription drug and must be used with other drugs in order to safely and thoroughly treat the symptoms.
Also Read: What Is Minoxidil And Can It Cure Hair Loss?
Dutasteride Vs Finasteride For Hair Loss
There are two popular oral medications used to fight against hair loss. Dutasteride and Finasteride are recommended by dermato-trichologists for patients suffering from heavy hair fall. But which one is better? Let’s find out.
- There are only 2 types of 5-alpha reductase, Type I and Type II. Finasteride has the property to block only Type I whereas Dutasteride is superior in terms of blocking both Type I and Type II. Dutasteride is 3 times more powerful at blocking Type I 5-aplha reductase when compared to Finasteride and 100 times more potent at blocking Type II 5-aplha reductase.
- After testing both drugs, researchers found Finasteride can inhibit DHT by 70% but Dutasteride can block DHT by 90+%
- Data shows that Dutasteride can even attribute towards growth of new and old hair. However, Finasteride is less effective in growing new hair.
- Finasteride does not any drug interaction, but unfortunately Dutasteride does. It does work well with certain antibiotics (example azithromycin), blood pressure drugs (example amlodipine) and HIV drugs (example ritonavir)
Also Read: What Is The Relation Between Collagen And Hair Loss?
Side Effects Of Dutasteride Hair Loss
All good things come with few side effects. Dutasteride is no different. Dutasteride has been known to reduce sexual potency amongst its users. Here are the unfortunate side-effects that may show up after few doses of Dutastride –
- Abnormal or early ejaculation
- Lack of or no interest in sex
- Painful ejaculation
- Swelling of tongue, throat and face
- Skin peeling
- Blood in urine or semen
- Burning or extreme pain while urinating
- Increased urination frequency
- Stiffness in lower back, upper thighs and hips
- Depression and anxiety
There are many natural remedies for receding hairline which do not have any scientific backing, and they can worsen your situation. Talk to your doctor today about Dutasteride, it is an evidence based medicine that can help you with your hair woes.
Visit your nearest clinic today. Oliva offers advanced hair loss treatments in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata, Pune, Vizag and Kochi.