Many people dread weight gain, and moreover the stretch marks that come with it. Stretch marks are embarrassing; they make you lose self-confidence altogether. They are narrow streaks or lines on the skin, with a colored hue (red, purple or grey). While it may not be possible to fully clear the very old stretch marks, but dermatological procedures can help in fading them with utmost efficacy. Read on to know everything about stretch marks on buttocks, thighs & hips like causes, treatments and prevention tips.
Stretch Marks On Buttocks, Thighs & Hips
Stretch marks can appear on any part of the body. However, majority of stretch marks tend to appear on buttocks, thighs, and hips. These areas are most affected in women, but stretch marks can appear in men as well.
Stretch marks are indented lines that appear pink, reddish or purple that eventually fade into greyish or white in color. These lines may appear as a single streak or consecutive parallel lines spread across the skin. Anything that causes sudden contraction or expansion of skin can result in stretch marks. The main reason why stretch marks appear on these three major areas is that, they tend to grow and stretch the most during puberty and weight gain.
What Causes Stretch Marks On Buttocks, Thighs & Hips?
There are several causes of stretch marks, especially the ones that occur on buttocks, thighs, and hips.
- Weight Gain – The main reason why stretch marks appear on thighs and the areas around them is due to sudden weight gain. When the body starts to grow and expand, the skin is stretched. The collagen gets damaged due to excessive stretching, and this leads to stretch marks.
- Muscle Gain – Most bodybuilders and athletes experience muscle growth with or without repeated use of steroids (topical and oral). This eventually leads to disproportionately big muscles without similar skin changes, which leads to stretch marks.
- Puberty (Or Growth Spurt) – During pubescent years, growth spurt begins to take place in teenagers. Especially for young girls, their body starts to change in areas such as the buttocks, hips, and thighs. This leads to stretch marks in these areas.
- Pregnancy – During pregnancy, women don’t just experience stretching of skin in the abdomen area, but also in other parts like hips, breasts, and thighs. The body has to accommodate another being, and so the skin must stretch along with the body. This is one of the biggest causes of stretch marks.
- Hormonal Imbalance – Another cause of stretch marks is hormonal imbalance. This usually occurs during obesity, puberty, and pregnancy. It causes elastin and collagen to tear due to the overstretched skin, which creates lines and stretch marks.
How To Remove Stretch Marks From Buttocks, Thighs & Hips?
Stretch marks are not life-threatening, but they are not attractive either. Treating them is easy and it will only take few treatments for them to reduce. There are preventive measures and natural remedies, but if you want faster and better results, it is best to undergo cosmetic treatments. Using natural remedies may take very long to show any results, and they might not work at all.
Cosmetic treatments are essential to remove stretch marks as they work more effectively and efficiently. For such treatments, it is important to be under professional supervision. Dermatologists are the only people to approach for such procedures as they have in-depth knowledge about the skin and stretch marks.
Treatment Options For Stretch Marks
There are three advanced cosmetic treatments that can heal and remove stretch marks permanently –
- Laser Therapy is considered the best cosmetic treatment to remove stretch marks effectively and permanently. Laser therapy is used for newly developed or older stretch marks both. It uses light emitted from a laser to break down scar tissues formed on the epidermis and encourage the skin to produce more collagen. It also helps to normalize the skin tone to match the surrounding skin. The cost for each session can vary from Rs 4,000 to Rs 8,000 per session, depending on the laser technology used.
- Chemical Peels are considered a drastic method to fade stretch marks. This procedure requires few sessions with the dermatologist. A plant extract based chemical is applied topically to the stretch marks, for the skin to start peeling and exfoliating. This helps shed the upper layer of skin to reveal smoother skin present under. Chemical peels also stimulate collage production. These can cost anywhere between Rs 1,500 to Rs 3,500 per session.
Must Read: Types Of Chemical Peels Available In India
- Microdermabrasion is often used for old stretch marks that have faded into a greyish/ whitish color. The treatment is performed by gently dragging the instrument across the skin while it exfoliates and removes the upper layer of the skin. The cost per session can differ between Rs 1,000 to Rs 2,500.
Prevention Tips For Stretch Marks On Buttocks, Thighs & Hips
Preventing stretch marks will benefit you in the long run. There are many ways to prevent this skin condition that include –
- Eating a well-balanced diet with plenty of vegetables, fruits, and lean meat will help build your body proportionally and safely.
- Drinking 2-3 litres of water daily will moisturize your skin from within and prevent stretch marks.
- Using a deep moisturizer with ingredients like shea butter, vitamin E, aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, and collagen will definitely soothe any dry skin and prevent stretch marks. Remember to use lotions and creams post-shower on a daily basis.
- Avoid rapid weight gain or muscle gain in order to prevent stretch marks. Take a slower path and achieve your desired results safely.
- Certain exercises can help tighten skin. Try Yoga and Pilates to tone and tighten loose and flabby skin.
Must Read: How To Remove Stretch Marks From Breasts?
Holistic Plan For Stretch Marks On Buttocks, Thighs & Hips
For those who are looking for a holistic remedy, there are plenty of options available for you. Eating the right food has always proven to be beneficial and rewarding. Try to include some of these food items in your daily diet to prevent further worsening of stretch marks-
- Collagen – This is the elastic material under the skin layers that helps stretch and expand skin. Foods those are rich in collagen are bone broth, green leafy vegetables, broccoli, bell peppers, and fish.
- Vitamin C – Full of antioxidants that helps absorb iron and collagen in the bloodstream. Some foods those are rich in vitamin C are goji berries, lemon, oranges, tomatoes, guavas, and gooseberries.
- Vitamin E – This vitamin helps to moisturize and lubricate the skin from within. Foods those are rich in vitamin E such as almonds, spinach, sweet potatoes, avocadoes, and sunflower seeds can be added to the diet.
- Vitamin A – It is very important in the normal functioning of the skin as well as preventing stretch marks. Foods those are rich in vitamin A such as carrots, kale, broccoli, butter, and eggs should be eaten.
- Fatty Food – Essential fatty acids (EFA) are necessary for absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, C, and E) that can prevent and even heal stretch marks. Foods those are rich in EFA such as salmon, tuna, walnuts, almonds, and peanut butter are great additions for your diet.
Almost everyone you meet will have stretch marks. Now that you know so much about stretch marks on the thighs, buttocks, and hips, you will find it easy to remove these flaws. It’s time to flaunt your flawless skin and wear your choice of outfit without having to worry about stretch marks.