Many natural and unnatural processes leave behind unsightly lines and marks on the skin. Fine lines on the face are one such consequence that is seen early on, starting as early as the 30s in many people. They can progress to become deeper wrinkles with time, hence treating them timely and promptly is required to get rid of them effectively. Let us see how these fine lines are caused and how to get rid of fine lines?
What Is A Fine Line?
Dermatologists define fine lines as lines of the facial skin that have a depth of 1mm to 2mm. Imagine the thickness of thread – this is how shallow (or deep) fine lines are. They can be thinner than your average thread’s thickness too.
They are commonly found around the eyes and the mouth, such as fine lines at the outer corner of the eyes, fine lines under the eyes, fine lines at the mouth corner, lines between your eyebrows, etc.
What Causes Of Fine Lines On Face?
We make different expressions with our face like smiling, frowning, squinting, and other such similar expressions are repeated several times during the day, and probably a million times during the years. These repetitive expressions are primarily linked with fine lines developing on the face. The main causes of fine lines are –
- Aging skin that starts producing lesser amounts of collagen and elastin, thus reducing the skin’s elasticity
- Reduced Q10 production by the skin – this is a vitamin-like substance that helps to maintain the youthfulness of the skin
- Recurring sun exposure that causes photodamage to the skin
- Lack of moisture in the skin
- Smoking, which inhibits delivery of essential nutrients to the skin through the blood, can result in fine line formation
Apart from these reasons, fine lines can be caused due to a hereditary tendency to get them.
Also Read: How Are Nasolabial Folds Treated?
Difference Between Fine Lines And Wrinkles
The words fine lines and wrinkles seem homologous, but in reality, they are not. While fine lines are thin lines that form on the face, wrinkles are deeper lines with their depth going beyond 2mm. Wrinkles are formed due to muscle contractions and can present with a facial expression (dynamic wrinkles) or even without one (static wrinkles). They are easily noticeable, and fine lines are not.
Because of the underlying muscle contraction, wrinkles are set deeper into the skin whereas fine lines are present on the superficial layers. This proves to be advantageous when it comes to treating fine lines.
With time, fine lines can become deep set and develop into wrinkles.
Also Read: Treatments To Get Wrinkle-Free Skin
How To Remove Fine Lines On Face And Under Eyes
The best solution for fine lines on face are cosmetic treatments that certified dermatologists offer at skin clinics. These treatments are a more efficient to remove fine lines because of the instant and long-lasting results they present.
Here are the top treatments for fine lines on face –
1. Chemical Peel
Chemicals extracted from natural sources like plants are applied as a peel on the face and neck. They enable controlled exfoliation of the upper dead layer of the skin and improve the production of collagen. This is an extremely safe procedure that is done by dermatologists across India on a daily basis. The cost depends on the peel being used and how many sessions are recommended for best results. On an average, a single session may cost you between Rs.1,000 to Rs.3,000.
Chemical peel treatments that are commonly used for fine lines are trichloroacetic acid peel (TCA peel) and phenol peel.
Also Read: Chemical Skin Peeling Treatment
Dermabrasion is done using a vacuum suction along with crystals to exfoliate the superficial skin layer. The main function of the suction pump is to absorb the grime/ debris and the dead skin cells that have been exfoliated. Fine lines diminish as a result of this exfoliation. This treatment is safe. The price range for this treatment lies between Rs.1,500 to Rs.3,000, but this depends on the total skin area that is going to be treated.
3. Fillers Treatment
Ingredients such as Hyaluronic acid, collagen, etc. are used in the injection to fill up the lines and folds of the skin. This treatment is again eminently used for wrinkles, but it can also be used for fine lines removal. The dermal fillers used are approved by the USFDA for their safety. Usually, the cost can be anywhere between Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 15,000 depending on the area and strength used. The results last for one year to two years depending on the filler used.
5. Laser Skin Resurfacing
A laser beam of a specific wavelength is focused on the skin to remove the damaged skin with fine lines and to improve collagen production in the skin. Controlled thermal injury is done to stimulate new collagen production. This technology is commonly used to remove fine lines on the forehead and those around the eyes and mouth. A topical anesthetic is used during the treatment so that no pain is felt. There are many laser machines available that are FDA approved and show great results. A commonly used and advanced technology in India is the Q-switched laser. The cost averages around Rs.3,000 to Rs.6,000 per session at skin clinics in India.
Read More: Laser Skin Resurfacing In India
How To Reduce Fine Lines From Face – Tips?
Fine lines are the first signs that develop with aging skin, and because they are present in the topmost layer, they are fairly easy to get rid of, with a good skin care routine. Here are few things you can do to diminish fine lines on face –
- With sun damage being one of the principal causes, avoiding sun exposure and using sun protection creams and lotions is mandatory. A good sunscreen or sunblock that has an SPF of 30 of above should be applied on the face and neck (and also other exposed areas of the skin) before stepping out into the sun. You can also use scarves and hat to protect the face from direct sunlight.
- Abstain from smoking as this affects not only your facial skin but also your respiratory health drastically.
- Moisturize your skin with topical creams and facial oils, and also with healthy oils and fat in your diet. Fatty fish and olive oil are wonderful additions to the diet for reduction of fine lines.
- A great way to fight photodamage is supplying your body and skin with antioxidants from fruits and vegetables. Pineapples, pumpkin, carrots, spinach, strawberries, cherries, avocado, etc. are some suggested items to include in the diet.
- Sleep for six to eight hours to ensure that your skin gets ample amount of time to rejuvenate and refresh itself. This will keep your skin looking younger and even prevent premature signs of aging like fine lines.
Also Read: Best Anti-Aging Tips & Treatments
No matter how old we are or what the reason behind fine lines on our face is, we do not want them to ruin our look and make us look older. A couple of changes in the skin care routine and diet can go a long way in maintaining the youthfulness of the skin. And, there are always dermatologically approved treatments that can be opted for, to get a quick and easy solution.