Minocycline is broad spectrum tetracycline antibiotic, used as a prescription drug for treating many ailments and it is popular among many dermatologists too. It was approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1970. It is most lipid soluble antibiotic and is extremely beneficial for its use in treating acne vulgaris.
Using Minocycline For Acne
Since Minocycline is an antibiotic, it has the ability to fight against bacterial growth. The main use of Minocycline is to heal severe acne. Dermatologists recommend Minocycline for patient suffering from moderate to severe cases of acne. It is also used to stop cystic acne from spreading. Minocycline is considered one of the most effective drugs to stop the growth of pimple causing bacteria.
Minocycline Vs Tetracycline Vs Doxycycline
Before using any drug, it is important to compare numerous drugs to see which is the best option for an individual. The dermatologist, after diagnosing and consulting, would determine the most effective dose and drug for your skin condition.
When comparing Minocycline with Tetracycline, both drugs are used to treat pimple. However Tetracycline is used to treat many infections and is cheaper when compared to Minocycline. Both Tetracycline and Minocycline can cause birth defects and make birth control pills less effective. Minocycline has shown faster results in curing acne than Tetracycline.
Doxycycline again helps in treating bacterial infections but can increase sun sensitivity, same as Minocycline. However Doxycycline is an excellent treatment if you are allergic to penicillin. Doxycycline may have less chances of adverse side effects.
What Are The Uses Of Minocycline?
Minocycline has many uses beside healing acne. Here are the top uses of Minocycline –
- Minocycline can treat rheumatoid arthritis and relieve joint pains
- It can also be used against urinary tract infection (UTI) and respiratory tract infections
- Minocycline works well in curing typhus, pneumonia, eye, genital and intestinal infections
- It is used for treating food poisoning and anthrax
- Minocycline can be used to eliminate bacteria from the throat and nose that may cause meningitis
- Lastly, Minocycline is used to remove ticks, mites and lice from infected animals
Minocycline Dosage For Acne Treatment
- Each drug must be consumed in different quantity to be effective whilst healing a certain disease. Minocycline hydrochloride is the popular form of Minocycline. It is taken in a variety of doses to overcome a certain illness or disorder.
- Before starting on Minocycline treatment, consult with your doctor about the timings and method of intake. If there are any other questions, ask your doctor as misuse of drug can create unnecessary problems.
- Take the drug one to two hours before any meal usually every 12 hours or as per the doctor’s recommendation. Drink a glass of water along with Minocycline tablet for easy administration. Do not sleep or lie down after the medicine.
- The dosage of drug and length of treatment depends entirely on your health condition as well as response to the drug. Remember to continue the treatment for the prescribed duration as stated by your dermatologist and do not cut short the dosage even if the symptoms begin to disappear quickly. If you do stop the medication without taking the recommended dose, the infection can reappear and worsen the existing condition.
Minocycline Treatment For Acne
Using Minocycline for acne is one the most effective and safe option. The drug works in two ways.
- Firstly, it halts the growth of bacteria that is responsible for the acne breakouts.
- Secondly, Minocycline can also help with other symptoms related to acne such as reduction of inflammation and redness.
- Minocycline is often prescribed when for moderate or severe acne. It is rarely recommended for mild acne.
- On the other hand, the drug Minocycline has no effect on blackheads and other non-inflamed acne outbreaks.
- The dosage needed to treat pimples can vary from person to person depending on the severity of acne.
- The recommended dose may be between 50-100 mg taken once or twice a day. Although it advised to take minocycline on an empty stomach, it can be consumed after a meal.
- Once the acne is under control, the dermatologist will slowly decrease your dose. Sometimes oral anti-biotics must be taken for long period of time to stop them from relapsing.
What Are The Precautions When Consuming Minocycline?
There are certain precautions that need to be followed for Minocycline to work smoothly –
1. Talk to your doctor if you are allergic to Tetracycline, doxycycline or minocycline even if the prescription only mentions Minocycline
2. Do not consume milk or milk by products for at least 2 hours before and after taking Minocycline
3. Minocycline must not be consumed alongside of oral contraceptives as it can decrease its potency
4. Inform your doctor if you have intracranial hypertension, lupus and asthma. Also if you have any kidney or liver related disease
5. Most importantly, you must inform your doctor if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant or are breastfeeding. Minocycline can cause abnormalities in the foetus and the lactating child.
What Are The Side Effects Of Minocycline?
Minocycline can cause side-effects if taken in excess or if you are allergic to them. It can cause –
• Hives, swelling on your face or body, difficulty in breathing
• Vomiting, diarrhoea, nausea, and upper stomach pain
• Iching in your rectum, vagina or inflammation at the end of your penis
• Dry mouth, sore throat, swollen tongue or trouble swallowing
• Burning eyes, ringing ears, hair loss, changes in colour of nails, teeth, gums and skin
• Muscle pain and mood changes
• Rashes, itching, tingling or numbness of skin
• Severe side-effects which are rare, include; intense pressure build up inside the skull, vision problems, fainting, throbbing pain behind the eyes, chest pain, high fever.
Can Minocycline Be Used For Rosacea?
Yes, minocycline is administered orally and topically to treat rosacea. The treatment will eliminate the bacteria causing rosacea and reduce the redness and inflammation simultaneously. Minocycline must be taken empty stomach to be 100% effective. The treatment can continue for 2-3 weeks till the symptoms subside.
What Happens When You Take An Overdose Of Minocycline?
It is easy to overdose with Minocycline if you are not careful. If in case you have accidently overdosed yourself, immediately contact your supervising doctor and inform him/her about the situation. You may experience dizziness, vomiting and nausea if you have gone overboard with Minocycline. If the situation worsens, reach out to an emergency room immediately.
What Happens If I Miss A Dose Of Minocycline For Pimples?
If you remember you missed a dose, then take it immediately. However if the missed dose is near the time of your second scheduled dose, then skip it and take the second dose instead of doubling or taking the medicine twice. Please refrain from taking extra dose to make up for the missed one as that can cause over dosage and the reactions stated.
What Are The Precautions While Taking Minocycline?
There are certain activities that must be avoided while taking Minocycline.
• Do not take any laxatives, multivitamins, supplements or antacids 2 hours before or after taking Minocycline. Any supplements that contain magnesium, aluminium, zinc, iron or calcium must be avoided at all cost. Such elements make it difficult for the body to absorb Minocycline
• Minocycline can impair your thinking ability. Please do not drive or perform any activity that requires you to be alert and cautious
• When taking Minocycline, please avoid sun exposure or tanning beds. Minocycline has the ability to cause sunburn and make your skin hypersensitive to light. Cover your exposed skin and use plenty of sunscreen before stepping out in the sun
• Do not drink alcohol, grapefruits juice or take birth control pills along with Minocycline.
Remember to always use Minocycline under the guidance and supervision of a medical expert. All queries must be answered by the doctor to ensure safety of the patient. Please do not overdose or self-medicate with Minocycline as there are severe side effects for the same.