Do you work long hours on the laptop? Do you enjoy late-night parties or movie hauls during the weekends? If you can relate to both the situations, there are chances that you may be having dark circles.
Dark circles under the eyes can have an aesthetic impact that makes people look tired, unhealthy, and older. Sometimes, deeply set eyes, hollows under the eyes may lead to a shadowing effect giving an illusion of dark circles. It can also be a marker of insulin hormone resistance too. Find out more about the causes and treatments for dark circles right here!
What Are Dark Circles Under Eyes?
Dark circles are light to dark brown or black pigmentation around the eyes formed due to the accumulation of melanin. Also known as periorbital dark circles or periorbital hyperpigmentation, dark circles appear more prominently in fair-skinned individuals as the underlying veins around the eye area gives a reddish-blue tint.
What Causes Under Eye Dark Circles?
Chances of developing dark circles depend on your genetic predisposition and skin tone. As we age, the skin’s elasticity weakens as we start losing collagen, and the area under the eyes begin to become thin and translucent. Darkening of the skin around the eye region may be due to various causes like fluid accumulation under the eyes, increased vascularity in the under-eye skin or constitutional hollows under the eyes. The venous congestion or fluid build-up due to the following causes make dark circles noticeable –
- Fatigue and lack of sleep
- Certain allergies to eye cosmetics
- Ageing process causing skin laxity
- Atopic dermatitis
- Pigmentation irregularities
- Excessive sun exposure
- Habit of rubbing eyes
- Certain medication
- Anaemia, iron and vitamin B12 deficiency
- Excessive vascularity in the skin around the eyes
- Tear trough (under eye hollows)
How To Get Rid Of Dark Circles Under The Eye Permanently?
Here are some of the best dark circle treatments methods, which can help you treat this condition:
- Dark Circle Laser Treatment: Doctors use advanced laser technology to treat both superficial and deep pigment around the eyes, and also to address the vascularity. It reduces any darkness under the eyes and even helps fade fine lines and wrinkles to some extent. Laser therapy reduces the fluid spread caused by broken capillaries and uses light energy to gently exfoliate the skin, thereby reducing the darkness in the overall area. Lasers also help to treat skin laxity by collagen induction and remodelling that results in a visible improvement in the appearance of dark circles. Q-switched Alexandrite, Q-switched Ruby and Q-switched Nd: YAG lasers are best suited for treating the eye area.
- Chemical Peel For Dark Circle: Many chemical peels can reduce the darkness of your under-eye skin provided there is superficial pigmentation. Doctors use glycolic acid, trichloroacetic acid and lactic acid in an appropriate quantity to treat infraorbital and periorbital dark circles. Please do not attempt to try any over-the-counter peels on your own as that can be very hazardous. Those chemical peels can irritate the delicate eye area if not applied properly.
- Dark Circle Creams: Topical medical treatment for dark circles include potent eye creams of varying strengths with skin lightening ingredients. These agents include hydroquinone, kojic acid, azelaic acid, arbutin, vitamin C, and retinoic acid. These creams help reduce dark circles by getting rid of darkly pigmented skin under the eyes. These are applied directly to the affected area and usually prescribed by a dermatologist in varying strengths and combinations.
- Retinol For Dark Circle: Retinoids are one of the most potent topical ingredients to treat ageing-related concerns, including under-eye dark circles. The regular use of retinol has proven to increase collagen production and skin thickness, but it may often cause skin irritation. Therefore, consult a dermatologist before choosing a retinol cream for dark circles.
- Fillers For Dark Under Eye Circle: Dermatologists perform advanced aesthetic treatment using hyaluronic acid fillers to fill in the hollowness or tear troughs under the eyes. It helps in reducing the shadowing effect and eliminating the tired look.
- Home Remedies: You may have heard of age-old remedies promising you instant dark circle removal. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that these may work. Instead, choose a viable and scientifically-proven cosmetic treatment that will improve the tone and texture of your skin around the eyes, reduce the darkness of the circles and improve your appearance.
Must Read: How To Remove Pigmentation From Face?
Cost Of Dark Circle Removal Treatment In India
The cost of a dark circle peel treatment in India ranges between Rs. 2,000 and Rs. 5,000 per session and laser treatment costs between Rs. 4,000 and Rs. 7,000 per session. The cost of filler treatment for reducing under-eye hollowness rages from Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 60,000 per session. Doctor prescribed dark circle creams usually cost around Rs. 700 to Rs. 1500. OTC medications for dark circles may have a price range of Rs. 200-Rs. 2000. The cost of professional dermatology treatment for dark circles will vary depending on the cause and severity of the hyper-pigmentation, the procedure selected, the number of sessions required, the experience of the dermatologist and the reputation and location of the clinic.
Please note that the price ranges mentioned here are indicative only and may vary from one city to another. As per the prevailing prices in cities Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune, Kochi and Vizag.
Before And After Results From Treatment
Here are the before and after results:
How To Prevent Dark Circles?
Dark circles are often hereditary or occur as you age. The following tips can be helpful to prevent or reduce their appearance –
- Eat a balanced diet rich in iron and avoid excessive intake of caffeinated drinks. Drink water throughout the day to stay hydrated.
- Be gentle on your skin around the eyes. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing the area aggressively.
- Cut down on screen time and catch up on sleep.
- Wear sunscreen whenever you are outdoors. Also, protect your eyes from sun damage by wearing sunglasses or hats.
Must Read: How To Remove Dark Spots?
Now, you know all about the causes and procedures for reducing dark circles. Visit your dermatologist and enquire about a suitable treatment to eliminate those dark circles from underneath your eyes today.