Adult human’s nasal passage is essential as it prevents foreign debris and particles from entering our system via respiratory tract. But the hair density may be too high for some, which prompts them to seek procedures for nose hair removal.
Nose Hair Problems
In addition to genetic factors, nose hair grows out excessively during hormonal changes or with age. Working with the cilia (cell structures found in the deeper areas of the nasal tract), nose hair helps in preventing the contamination of the respiratory tract with dust, germs and other microscopic debris. The issue of hair growing outside the confines of the nostrils hampers the aesthetic appeal greatly.
What Causes Nasal Hair Growth?
The hair in our body is sensitive to androgens. And as we age, our bodies produce and react more to androgens which are the hormones produced by the body that possess a high level of testosterone, and due to this increase, we tend to have a relatively higher level of hair growth, even in places where the hair follicles were previously inactive.
In terms of the individual hair, the increased testosterone levels prolong what is known as the anagen phase (growth) of hair cycle. This is the first of a three-step cycle of hair growth in which the hair shaft grows. In simple words, the hair continues to grow for an extended period of time when they typically would be in the stage of falling out.
Thus, nasal hair (also eyebrow and ear hair) grow longer, darker, and coarser while other hair (on the scalp) gets thinner. This effect is directly related to reaction of the increased levels of testosterone and the chromosome makeup of men and women.
How To Remove Nose Hair Permanently?
There are several methods of removing nasal hair like laser treatment, wax, hair removal creams and home remedies. Due to the contours of the nostrils, the sensitivity of the nasal tract and the function that the hair inherently has, some methods are more effective than others at removal without compromising your hygiene and safety. However, laser treatment offers you the best solution, as it is the only method which offers effective as well as permanent nose hair removal.
Laser Treatment For Removing Nasal Hair
Firstly, laser hair removal is done only in the exterior areas of nose, around the edges of nostrils. Nose hair that grows beyond the nasal tract is where the procedure will be performed. While, in theory, they could be effective inside of the nostrils as well, but the laser may possess some risk of damaging the delicate mucus membrane found in there. This damage could lead to a host of respiratory contamination issues and problems with mucus flow and drainage.
Laser clinics perform hair removal procedure from upper nose, surface, tip, bridge and the sides of the nose (lower left and right). There is an added benefit of tackling the mild redness that appears in areas of excess hair growth through the procedure, as it improves the tone of the skin as well. The procedure should take no longer than fifteen minutes, and there is no recovery or downtime.
Also Read: Safe And Effective Laser Nose Hair Removal
How Does Laser Nose Hair Removal Work?
Dermatologists view laser nasal hair removal treatment as the most comfortable, safe and long-term method for nasal hair growth. Anyone opting for this procedure experiences a permanent reduction of hair volume and thickness. There are some safety concerns attached with the application of lasers inside the nose. So this treatment must be undertaken up only by an expert dermatologist and with extreme caution and precision.
Who Is A Suitable Candidate?
Nasal hair removal is a men-specific grooming method. But even some women suffer from this concern. So any adult with excessive hair growth on the nose is suitable for laser hair removal treatment.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
The number of treatments required would depend on the strength of hair growth, type of skin, thickness of hair, etc. So in a way it is subjective, also since LHR targets only the hair in its anagen or growth phase, a number of sessions are needed to reach desired results. Generally, dermatologists suggest about 6-8 sessions of treatment for best results.
What Are The Before & After Results?
If proper dermatologist recommended procedures are taken up, then there would a visible change soon after a couple of sessions but the long term results may take a while. Also the traditional methods may give quick and temporary results. Though it is not recommended to pursue any nose hair trimming procedure without expert guidance, and the results are subjective based on the method taken up. With laser you would get to remove only the hair at the edges which are safe to proceed without hurting the mucous membrane inside.
Also Read: Is Laser Hair Removal Permanent?
How Much Does Laser Hair For Removal Nose Cost?
The approximate cost of laser hair removal for nose comes to Rs. 3000- Rs. 4500 per session, under an experiences dermatologist. And for reaching desired results there would be a few sessions required. This cost is subjective as it depends on several factors like –
- Skin type
- Density of hair
- Thickness of hair
- Underlying health condition which may have triggered unwanted hair growth in the first place.
Other Nose Hair Removal Methods
These temporary nose hair removal methods are painful, time-consuming and laborious. Additionally, the following methods need to be performed more frequently in order to keep the overall aesthetic appeal maintained –
- Nose Hair Removal Wax – Keeping in the theme of nose hair removal for the brave, waxing is a more common choice than most realize. The wax is put only in the immediately accessible area of the nose (only slightly into the inner ridge of the nostril) using a stick. It is then removed swiftly. If done haphazardly or by a person with no experience, hair removal wax might cause burning sensation on the sensitive skin both on the face and inside the nasal tract.
- Nose Hair Removal Creams – Depilatories are available in market in forms of lotions, creams and gels. They break the protein bonds of hair chemically, removing the hair instantly. Based on the composition, a depilatory cream can remove hair in 5-10 minutes post application. However, due to the chemical ingredients, these creams cause strong odours or cause irritation or allergic reactions. Additionally, these hair removal creams offer a temporary solution to hair growth.
- Trimmers – Think of electric nose hair trimmers as electric shavers but for your nose. Over time, these battery-powered devices have had several features that make nose hair removal easier, that include variety of trimmer heads, a light for easier targeting, vacuum suction to extract loose hair, etc. Tiny blades trim the hair along the nasal wall keeping those nose hair out of sight.
Make sure not to remove the hair too deep in the nasal tract and properly remove any stray hair debris and removal agents you use for getting rid of unwanted hair in the nose.
How To Remove Nose Hair At Home
For individual safety, such methods should be avoided.
- Scissors – To avoid slicing the inner wall of your nose, it would make sense to avoid using scissors entirely. Regardless of the sharpness of the blades, there is always a chance to damage the sensitive skin leaving it prone to infection and other issues.
- Plucking/Tweezing – By far the most painful method of nose hair removal, tweezing is not for the faint-hearted. While one would assume that uprooting the hair shaft tackles the problem for a longer period of time, you also increase the risk of infection due to the exposed pores. Bacteria tend to thrive in dark and moist environments, and excessive tweezing could make your nasal tract a breeding ground for unwanted microscopic matter.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Nose Hair
There is no one method that can be suitable for all. For extra hair around the edges of the nose, laser hair removal is the most suitable pick, only if performed by an expert dermatologist. As the laser must not reach to the mucous membrane inside.
But for deeper hair, you must consult a dermatologist, if at all you should attempt to remove it by any traditional or contemporary method. As these are naturally needed for the body.
Female nose hair removal can be even more unsightly even at an early adult stage, as it directly hampers the beauty and demeanour. So the most feasible solution would be something which is permanent, and safe to proceed. Laser hair removal must be the resort, only after consulting your dermatologist.
FAQ’s On Nose Hair Removal
Is It Safe To Remove Hair In Nose?
If an expert dermatologist is taking up the procedure by maintaining the protocols and sterile conditions, then it is a safe choice. But otherwise you may end up hurting the mucous membrane inside which can be dangerous.
Is It Normal For Females To Have Nose Hair?
Nose hair or hair in the nasal cavity are natural for adult humans as they are necessary in filtering and blocking foreign particles from entering the body via nasal passage. Though increased hair density in nose can result in asthma related issues in adults.