Are the hair tufts sprouting from your ears drawing undue attention? Has the sudden spurt in your ear hair growth caught you unprepared? Well, if you too have hairy ears, fret no more! Minimising unwanted ear hair growth has become a grooming norm for most men who prefer to go fuzz-free. Read on to know everything about how to remove ear hair safely and effectively right here!
What Does Ear Hair Do?
Ear hair acts as a protective barrier along with ear wax to keep away dirt, debris, bacteria, and germs from reaching your inner ear and causing infections.
What Causes Excess Ear Hair Growth?
While it’s completely normal and healthy to have a thin coating of hair, some men have very coarse and thick hair growth in the outer ear region and sometimes inner ear too due to increased hormone levels after the age of 30. Excessive hair growth at a young age in men is uncommon though not unfound.
In rare case scenarios, women too may have hairy ears due to endocrine disorders.
Should You Remove Ear Hair?
It’s the sudden spurt in the growth of unwanted long, thick and dark terminal strands that give your ears a bushy appearance. Removing them is an essential grooming need for every metrosexual man who chooses to flaunt a suave and tidy look by minimising his man menace.
Must Read: How To Remove Unwanted Hair For Men?
How To Get Rid Of Ear Hair?
Let us find out the most effective and relatively painless methods for ear hair removal right here!
- Trimmers: Trimming is the easiest, fastest, and most comfortable way to reduce ear hair. The intricate anatomy of our ears makes it challenging when it comes to removing thick and coarse ear hair growth. New-age trimmers can safely reduce the hair sprouting from your inner ear visibly without any nicks and cuts as they come with hypoallergenic round-tipped rotational blades and compact design. You can use them to minimise the unwanted fuzz on the edges, front and back of your ear lobes without having to suffer an iota of pain! These new-age grooming gadgets with their sleek wand design, pivoting interchangeable heads, vacuum-suction retrieval (for easy clean-up) provide for more contouring, full-angular snipping, and easy access in hard to reach areas. However, here are the limitations of the method you must consider before investing in one:
- Short-lived results
- Lack of precision
- Need for frequent repetitions
Expert Tip: Make circular motions to trim effectively and get the best results. Use it daily to keep your ear hair out of sight.
- Laser Hair Removal (LHR): It is the most effective and painless methods for ear hair removal apt for the modern tech-savvy man. The unparalleled safety and precision of laser hair removal make it a worthy investment for eliminating excess ear hair growth once and for all. For men, who have been struggling to manage their untamed ear hair growth all their grown-up years, LHR is a must-try. It provides a painless and permanent reduction of ear hair. Expert dermatologists use pulses of a focused laser beam to destroy unwanted hair follicles and rule out recurrent growth without causing any harm to the sensitive skin of the ear lobes. It might take a few sessions to achieve optimal satisfaction. However, it’s worth the wait! As once you complete the treatment, you can skip the lifelong effort and expense that DIY methods, like waxing and depilatory creams, involve. The best part is that it is suitable for all skin and hair tones and types. Please note, top dermatologists recommend LHR for reducing hair growth only on the outer ear lobes and not the inner ear canals. The few factors to take note of though, while opting for LHR are:
- In-clinic professional treatment
- Requires multiple sessions to attain the best results
Expert tip: Go for a clinic that has an experienced medical team and the latest laser technology for a safe and comfortable experience.
- Tweezing: It is the process of plucking out singular strands from the roots using a pair of tweezers. If you have just a few stray hairs sticking out of your ears, tweezing is an easy way to remove them and go fuzz-free for at least a couple of weeks. However, this method is not entirely pain-free, remember to use blunt-nosed tweezers to minimise injury. Avoid tugging at clumps of hair at once as it could cause significant discomfort! Avoid sticking tweezers deep into your inner ear canal as it could cause permanent damage. Listed below are some of the cons associated with tweezing:
- Tedious and painful method
- May cause injury and infection
Expert tip: Rub ice cubes or apply an astringent solution to prevent skin inflammation. Sanitise your tweezers with an alcohol swab both before and after use.
Apart from these, shaving, waxing, and hair removal creams (depilatory creams) are also some DIY methods, that you may try for ear hair removal. However, they may cause bleeding, burns and allergic reactions. The idea of scraping your ear with a blade or pouring hot-wax or harsh chemical containing hair removal creams into your delicate ears is highly risky. It is best to steer clear away from using them or at least seek help from a salon professional while using them.
How Much Does Laser Ear Hair Removal Cost in India?
The estimated cost of laser treatment for ear hair removal is approximately Rs 3,000 and can go up to Rs 5,000 depending on the type of laser equipment used, the reputation of the clinic, and the complexity of the case. A laser-ear hair removal package being a one-time expense becomes cost-effective because one achieves the desired results in just a few sessions.
Now you know the recommended methods for ear hair removal. Please weigh the pros and cons of each option and go ahead to make an informed decision that matches your grooming needs and budget.