General grooming and cleanliness are changing norms in our society. Trimming hair and keeping brows, chest, back and ear lobes shaved, is becoming a prominent part of men’s grooming routine, to enhance their appearance. And the traditional methods like shaving, waxing, tweezing and plucking may not be pleasing anymore, with excruciating pain and recurring expenses. So it is essential to identify and utilize the most cost-effective, painless and long-term methods of hair removal in men.
Hair Removal For Men
A hair-free skin looks smooth and beautiful. But the question arises do men prefer to remove hair? As a matter of fact, a significant proportion of Indian males prefer hair-free skin. Thus, we can conveniently say that hair removal is no more gender specific. Be it personal hygiene or beauty care preference, more men now consider different hair removal solutions. However, while choosing the right hair removal method focus should be given on finding a long-term, painless and cost-effective solution.
When we say hair removal for men, it is not just confined to only shaving and trimming their beards and moustaches. Most methods available for men focus on removing hair from the following body parts:
1. Private parts and pubic region
2. Facial hair growth like beard and eyebrows shaping
3. Hair growth on nose and ear
4. Grooming neck area
5. Chest, abdomen, arms and back
6. Legs, buttocks and groin region
Also Read: Laser Hair Removal Treatments For Men
What Methods Are Available For Men’s Hair Removal?
- Laser Hair Removal – One of the best choice for selective parts or full body hair removal in men. A controlled laser beam is focused on the target hair follicles (only in anagen phase), which kills the underlying stem cells and aids in stopping further growth of hair. Depending upon the body part, there can be 6-10 sessions to get desired results. It is a quick, painless, cost-effective and a long-term method of hair reduction. Laser clinics across India offers males hair removal packages for face, private parts, chest and back, hands, legs and underarm.
- Hair Removal Creams – There are plenty of hair removal creams available for men. These creams when applied on the body parts such as under arms, private parts, hands, legs, etc., dissolve the hair. Once the process is complete, you can wash off the cream with water. These depilatories are easily available over-the-counter and they can keep the unwanted hair at bay for about two weeks. Some of the cons include; the odour of these creams, burning or itchiness if the skin is sensitive, also rashes, allergic reactions, etc.
- Electrolysis – This is one of the most expensive as well as time consuming method of permanent hair removal for men. This process focuses on killing the hair stems at its root thereby preventing it from growing again. It is extremely painful and you will have to attend several sessions with each session being 15-30 minutes.
- Shaving – Razors are readily available and from decades they have been used due to their ease of availability. But using the razor to remove hair from some sensitive areas like axilla (armpits), private areas, legs and face can be painful and time consuming. There may be several side-effects like cuts and burns and sometimes these cuts can become infected as well.
- Male Threading – A thread is used to remove the hair from your face, eyebrows, nose and chin. This is done by twisting and maneuvering the thread to pull out the unwanted hair. Just like shaving, this is also not a permanent hair removal method for men; however, it does take longer for your hair to grow back (at least five to seven days) when compared to shaving. But it is extremely painful and may cause some skin deformities if not carried out with precision. Also it does not pluck the ingrown hair.
- Waxing – Heated wax is used to remove hair from various body parts. It is a fairly lasting method (lasting 2-3 weeks) before the hair grows back. It is a painful process. Waxing can either be done at home or at salons by professionals. The time taken for a waxing session depends upon the body part which is being waxed – hands, legs, chest or back. It may cause redness, rashes and painful bumps; even causing skin infection from bruises.
- Plucking – Not a very popular hair removal method for men, as you can pluck out only one hair at a time. Temporary burns are expected and since it is done on the face or other sensitive areas on the body, it can leave you with unwanted marks.
Which Method Gives Permanent Hair Removal?
The best way to remove men’s body hair is through the laser machines. As compared to other methods, this is relatively painless and provides lasting results. Whether you want to remove hair from your back, under-arms, hands, legs or chest; LHR is suitable for all body parts.
Comparison Of Men’s Hair Removal Solutions In India
Laser Hair Removal For Men
- What does it do – In laser treatment, the laser beam targets the hair roots by penetrating the shafts of the hair. It works on the principal of selective photothermolysis (SPTL) with a specific wavelength of light and pulse. It simply destroys the target hair follicle in anagen phase of hair growth, thus helping in permanent hair reduction. However, it does not damage the structure or pores of the skin.
- How long does it take – Usually 6-8 sessions are required, but this can be subjective. As it targets the hair in anagen phase only so the number of sessions may vary. It also takes account of the area of the skin to be treated, hair density and the root cause of unwanted hair growth, to determine the number of sessions needed.
- Cost – The cost would depend upon the body area and the type of laser which is used. On an average, it can cost around Rs. 1000 – Rs. 1500 for each session, but it can vary. It is almost 40% more cost-effective if compared with other traditional methods of hair removal since it is a quick, long-term and safe method.
- Expected results – Once the treatment is complete, you will notice long-term results. You will have to schedule annual or bi-annual follow-ups to maintain the efficacy of the procedure.
Hair Removal Creams For Men
- What does it do – Hair removal creams contain a chemical compound as one of their ingredients. When you apply such creams or gels on your skin, it has an impact on the proteins present in the hair causing them to dissolve. This in turn causes the hair to fall out.
- How long does it take – You will need to leave the cream on your skin for at least 5-10 mins. But the entire removal procedure can take anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour.
- Cost – Hair removal creams for men which are available over-the-counter can cost around Rs. 60 – Rs. 150 INR whereas salon treatments will be slightly expensive ranging between Rs. 300 – Rs. 500.
- Expected results – No hair on the target area for a couple of weeks.
- Downside – They have several side effects and are temporary.
- What does it do – An ultra-slim needle is used to target the hair follicles. These hair follicles are then destroyed by the shocks of electricity present in the needle.
- How long does it take – Depending upon the amount and thickness of your hair, you might have to schedule a number of sessions. Each of those sessions will range from 10 to 20 minutes.
- Cost – Each session on an average can cost up to Rs. 2,000 – Rs. 2,500 INR.
- Expected results – Permanent results
- Downside – It is an extremely painful and time consuming process.
Waxing And Shaving
- What does it do – These methods make use of creams and gels which are applied on the body parts such as the face, under-arms, hands, legs, etc. A razor or waxing strips are used to remove the product. Its effect is only on the upper layer of the skin, and hence, it just removes the hair from the surface.
- How long does it take – Depending upon the body part, it can take anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour.
- Cost – From Rs. 50 INR to Rs. 1000 INR for each session; it is a life-long expense on a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly basis; depending on your hair growth.
- Expected results – Short-term results which can last up to 3-5 days in case of shaving and about four weeks in case of waxing.
- Downside – Short term, expensive, painful and does not treat the ingrown hair.
Hair removal for men is well past beyond the conventional beard grooming sessions, and we have some advanced and specialized treatments for long term, cost effective and safe procedures. It is time to get rid of unpleasant and unwanted hair to flaunt a perfect and well-groomed side of yourself.