Zumba, a combination of cardio and aerobic exercises, has gained popularity for the tremendous health benefits that come with its groovy and fun movements. Find out all you can achieve by signing up for a Zumba class. In this article, we explore five essential benefits of Zumba for weight loss and how it can increase your daily calorie burn, along with expert tips!
Top 5 Reasons You Should Do Zumba Dance To Lose Weight & Burning Fat
Zumba is a high-energy aerobic exercise, and the hype surrounding the body transformation it can lead to is real.
Here are five reasons which make Zumba a great exercise to lose weight:
- It Strengthens Your Core And Helps You Get Rid Of Belly Fat: Zumba engages your core and other key muscle groups such as glutes, abs, hamstrings, triceps, and quadriceps that need an extra push. It strengthens your core and can result in a chiselled torso. Zumba is also known to reduce body fat, especially belly fat, and you can build six-pack abs without relying on any equipment!
Women, say goodbye to period pain!
Zumba is a workout that combines dance and aerobics. Research shows that practising Zumba can reduce the intensity and extent of period pain. At least half of the menstruating women population suffer from period pain, medically known as primary dysmenorrhea, due to an increase in the chemical prostaglandin that contracts your uterus, preventing oxygen from reaching the tissue and causing pain. Physical activity, in general, can help flush out these chemicals and thus increase the amount of oxygen-rich blood reaching the uterus. Zumba practice can also serve as an additional treatment for primary dysmenorrhea.
Besides weight loss and a healthy heart, Zumba, especially among women, can help improve mood, relieve stress, help you socialise, and reduce menstrual cramps. You only need to turn up the music and dance away your stress.
Inform your Zumba instructor so they may adjust some of the moves to make you feel more comfortable.
-Lavanya Parthasarathy, PhD, CDE
- It Improves Cardiovascular Health And Overall Physical Fitness: Zumba offers immense cardiovascular benefits as it increases the heart rate, lowers cholesterol levels, and boosts cardio endurance. It also improves mood and keeps stress at bay. Apart from improving your heart and mental health, Zumba also reduces the risk of serious illnesses by increasing your energy levels and lowering your blood sugar levels.
However, we recommend that you check with a professional for expert advice before you begin your regimen.
- It Burns More Calories And Fat Than Other Exercises: An hour of Zumba can burn more than average number of calories, compared to other cardio exercises. A 40-minute Zumba dance is a full-body workout that can burn 369 calories, which is more calories burned than with exercises like aerobics, power yoga, or kickboxing done for the same amount of time. An interval-style, HIIT Zumba workout is a great weight loss workout that reduces harmful subcutaneous belly fat.
Note: Do remember that the number of calories you burn also depends on the duration of the workout, your age, gender, and intensity of the movements.
- It Improves Flexibility: Zumba combines dance with exercise, and its movements make your body flexible, especially around the hips and the mid-section. The high-energy movements of Zumba, such as jumps and lunges, engage and strengthen the leg muscles, also enhancing your body coordination.
- It Builds Muscle Mass And A Toned Physique: With consistency, you can achieve a more toned, leaner, and healthier body as the movements engage every muscle, and aid in increasing muscle mass. It also increases the body’s energy expenditure. You can incorporate weights to build muscles in the legs and glutes.
Must Read: How Many Calories Does A Good Workout Burn?
How Many Calories Can You Burn By Doing Zumba?
Research states that a 40-min Zumba workout can help you lose up to 369 calories. So, you can expect to lose 500-800 calories in an hour of Zumba workout on average. However, this can vary as age, gender, genetics, the intensity of the dance movements, and how effectively you do them also play an important role in burning calories.
Have you tried aqua Zumba?
It is Zumba but in a different location. Besides improving your strength and flexibility, Aqua Zumba has tremendous health advantages.
Here is what makes it unique:
- Easy on your joints: Traditional exercises can cause stress on your joints, muscles, bones, and other body parts. Aqua Zumba is a fantastic low-impact exercise because of the buoyancy of the water and is excellent for people with joint pains or those recovering from treatments.
- Easy for the heart: Aqua Zumba benefits those with hypertension or high blood pressure as the buoyancy you experience in water reduces the strain on your heart.
- Increased resistance: Higher resistance equals a better workout. The natural resistance of the water makes every stride more difficult and aids in muscle toning.
- Injury-free: When you are learning a new form of dance, there is a higher chance you can trip and fall but not in the case of Aqua Zumba, as water keeps you protected.
-Lavanya Parthasarathy, PhD, CDE
Effective Tips for Zumba for Weight Loss And Burning Fat!
It is crucial to do the Zumba steps correctly and follow a proper diet plan to burn fat faster and achieve your weight loss goals. Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your Zumba workout:
- Eat a diet high in lean proteins and low in carbohydrates.
- Make sure you hydrate yourself consistently.
- Avoid processed foods and sugary drinks.
- Include more whole grains, vegetables, and fruits in your meals.
- Have a healthy snack every three to four hours to maintain consistent energy levels.
- Try to engage every muscle by experimenting with different Zumba formats such as Zumba toning, aqua Zumba, Zumba strength training, etc., as this will help you burn fat faster and reap more health benefits.
- Choose upbeat and energising music which keeps up your energy levels and challenges your body by extending the range of motion.
- Make sure to invest in a comfortable pair of shoes for Zumba.
- Work out consistently and enjoy it to achieve your weight loss goals as soon as you can.
Must Read: Which Exercises Burn Most Calories?
Zumba is a popular workout suitable for all age groups offering a host of health benefits. It is excellent for anyone looking to lose extra pounds and improves cardiovascular health, decreases blood pressure, and tones your body. It is also easier on your joints and the chances of injury are low. However, you should seek expert guidance before starting a Zumba routine.