A nourished scalp free from any deformities and illness can help in the growth of healthy and lustrous hair. Therefore it is important to keep the scalp moisturized and body hydrated as dry scalp and hair loss are interconnected. Dry flaky scalp can inhibit the growth of new strands of hair. The good news is that it is only a temporary condition. By getting some specific treatments, we can easily nourish our scalp and get back the lost hairline.
What Causes Dry Scalp?
Since dry scalp and hair loss are both connected, it is important to learn what can trigger this condition. There are several factors which can cause dry and flaky scalp, it is important to identify them and keep a close watch on daily hair fall. Some of the major reasons for dry scalp are –
• Excessive use of chemicals and harmful hair products
• Lack of scalp nourishment
• Stress and anxiety
• Sudden lifestyle or environmental change
• Unexpected weight loss
• Change in eating habits
• Fungal infection on the scalp
• Skin condition (like psoriasis or eczema) and allergies
• Aggressive dandruff
Can Dry Scalp Cause Hair Loss?
In a way dry scalp may cause hair loss, as it aggravates itching which may cause lot of friction and lead to hair fall. Our skin produces a form of natural oil (sebum) to keep itself lubricated. This oil is responsible for keeping our hair lustrous. Though, when the scalp becomes dry due to the lack of sebum, the hair follicles don’t get the optimal nutrition. As a result, the scalp becomes itchy and the hair strands become thinner. It makes our hair easy to break and brittle. Besides damaging hair, it also affects the hair regrowth cycle as well.
Will The Hair Lost Due To Dry Scalp, Grow Back?
Yes, in most cases the hair regrows and restores to its natural strength, as it is a condition of temporary hair loss. By getting a treatment for dry scalp, you can easily nourish your hair follicles again. Once the scalp is clean and nourished, a trichologist can help with a hair regrowth technique.
Though, it is important to consult a doctor to get a suitable treatment for dry scalp and hair loss. For instance, some people can suffer from oily scalp and hair loss as well. Therefore, before you reach any conclusion, consult a doctor and get a thorough scalp examination to treat dry scalp and hair loss.
Treatment For Dry Scalp
Since dry flaky scalp hair loss is only a temporary condition, it can easily be rectified. Following are some of the common ways to treat this condition –
1. PRP treatment – PRP or Platelet-rich Plasma, is the most recommended treatment for hair loss due to dry scalp. It is a non-invasive and therapeutic treatment, which is suitable for both men and women. It is a safe procedure as your own blood is extracted and put to centrifuge to separate platelets from the blood. Then these activated platelets are injected back into the scalp, in the areas of scanty hair. The platelet rich plasma is high in protein and other growth factors. This helps in stimulating the hair follicles as it provides essential nutrients to the scalp and nourishes the hair follicles. As a result, problems like dry scalp and hair loss are treated.
2. Hair transplant surgery – Hair transplant is mostly considered as a last resort since it is an invasive procedure. In this, hair follicles are extracted from the donor area of the patient and are grafted to the bald patches. The donor area is mostly the side and back of the head. There are different ways to perform a hair transplant. The two most common approaches are strip harvesting and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction).
In some cases, scalp reduction surgery is also performed. In this, the bald patches are surgically removed while the nearby area is stretched to compensate the loss. While these surgical approaches can cure dry scalp hair loss immediately, they might leave a small scar on your scalp.
3. Medicines and OTC products – There are number of medicines and over-the-counter products that claim to reduce dry scalp induced hair loss. Though, the effect of these products might not be as good as a dedicated dry scalp treatment (like PRP). To get better results, you should consult a doctor and only consume prescribed medicines. There are a variety of dry scalp shampoos, serums, gels, and other readily available products that your doctor might prescribe. If it is an infection or allergy, then you might need to take some oral medicines as well.
4. Biotin treatment – This treatment is mostly taken up due to its non-invasive approach. Biotin is a form of water-soluble Vitamin B that is extremely beneficial for hair growth. Since dry scalp and hair loss are directly related to the lack of nourishment, the treatment can have beneficial results. In this, topical medicine is applied to the scalp which strengthens the roots and makes the hair more lustrous.
5. Ketoconazole treatment – It has been observed that dry scalp hair loss can result from a fungal infection as well. If that is the case, then your doctor might recommend a Ketoconazole treatment. It is a form of topical medication that is applied to the scalp in different forms (like gel, cream, and shampoo). It gets rid of the fungal infection from the skin and results in stronger hair.
6. Other treatments – There are also numerous advanced solutions for hair loss that can be used as a dry scalp treatment as well. Laser and photo therapy can help the circulation of blood under the scalp and nourish the hair follicles. Sometimes, steroids are also injected into the scalp to boost the growth of hair. Besides that, hair restoration and stem cell therapy can also help with dry scalp and hair loss.
How To Avoid Hair Loss Due To Dry Scalp?
• Exercise more often to keep your blood well-circulated.
• Try to get more fresh air to increase the oxygen level in your body.
• Avoid smoking as it might deteriorate your skin.
• Have a protein-rich diet.
• Don’t shampoo your hair on a daily basis as it can further leave your scalp dry.
• Keep your body hydrated since dehydration can lead to dry scalp.
• If your body is suffering from any vitamin or mineral deficiency, then get the needed supplements.
• Don’t use electronic appliances like hair dryer, straightener, blower, etc.
• Avoid excessive use of hair products and practices that can harm your scalp.
• Try not to scratch or rub your scalp too much.
• Don’t use others hair products (like combs, bands, etc.) to avoid infection.
• Keep your scalp nourished and clean. Take immediate steps as soon as you get dandruff or a flaky scalp.
It is evident that dry scalp prolonged over a period of time can cause itchiness and result in hair loss. Instead of simply losing your hair every day, get a dedicated dry scalp treatment to prevent hair loss. Consult an experienced dermatologist to treat the condition at an early stage and get your lost hair back.