Pimples due to heat are very common in subtropical climates especially in certain parts of India. Heat pimples can trigger with the hot and humid climates and also spread over the exposed areas of skin. Acne mechanica is another kind of acne which occurs as a result of heating of the skin due to excess pressure, heat or friction on the skin.
What Are Heat Pimples?
Pimples due to heat are a possibility especially if you are living in hot climate and are exposed to harsh UV rays without protection. Heat pimples are sudden pimple breakouts that happen when your internal body temperature rises above average temperature (98.6 degree Celsius). Such drastic rise in body temperature can result in acne. These heat pimples mostly occur on the back, chest, face (on the eye rims, forehead and lips), buttocks, back of neck and shoulders. Heat pimples mostly occur in batches where they are small and red.
Difference Between Acne Mechanica And Heat Pimples
Acne Mechanica is a form of acne which is more common in athletes, students and soldiers. It occurs due to excess heat, pressure, rubbing of skin and frictional force. It exaggerates when the skin is exposed to excess heat, or is under pressure and wrapped under tight clothes/headbands. Whereas pimples due to heat are the result of excessive heat that is created inside the body and needs to be cooled in order to prevent acne. Heat pimples occur when the body is heated and the temperature is above the normal range specially due to climatic conditions.
What Causes Acne Mechanica?
- If person is wearing tight clothes example athletes who wear sportswear that is skintight, this adds pressure and traps heat under the clothes.
- Carrying back-packs, purses or bags with straps that creates pressure under the skin.
- Wearing clothes made from leather or synthetic materials, this makes it difficult for the skin to “breathe” leading to acne mechanica.
- Wearing tight headbands/helmets, hats or scarves wrapped tightly on the skin.
- Skin rubbed against clothes or cellphones.
- Anything that puts pressure on the skin for long period of time, e.g viloin can cause breakouts under the chin or pressing cellphone against your cheek can cause acne on that particular cheek.
Treatments To Get Rid Of Acne Mechanica
Consult an expert dermatologist before starting any of the below treatment, to get a complete diagnosis on causes of acne mechanica on your skin. The below procedures are usually recommended to treat this condition –
- Chemical peel – In this treatment plant extracts are used to administer controlled exfoliation of the upper layer of the skin. Peels comprising salicylic acid, lactic acid and tricholoroacetic acid can help to reduce acne mechanica.
- Application of products containing ingredients such as azelaic acid, resorcinol and sulphur can treat infection and reduce the appearance of deformity.
- If the acne does not heal within few months, then your dermatologist would prescribe stronger medications such as topical retinoid and antibiotics.
- Cleaning the skin immediately post workout or sweating profusely by using products recommended by the dermatologist, which contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide.
- It is a must to not wear tight fitted clothes, headbands or caps/hats that trap body heat for prolonged period of time and create pressure and friction against the skin.
How To Reduce Body Heat Pimples
- Chemical peel – It works well for Indian skin tone, as it removes the deformed upper layer of the skin without damaging the dermal layers underneath. Your dermatologist would determine the right plant extract for your skin type.
- Laser toning – Laser is used to target excess sebum producing glands and the deformed cells, which are removed and rendered ineffective. Thus stimulating collagen production and new cell growth.
- Microdermabrasion – In this treatment, a crystal device is used to scale the upper layer of the skin non-surgically, by an expert dermatologist. This removes the heat pimples and brings rejuvenated skin from benetah.
- Cleansing – Trapped dirt and layers of dead skin cells can block proper air circulation in your skin pores causing pimples and acne. It is important you shower everyday (even twice if necessary) to remove all residues of sebum, pollutants and dirt. Exfoliation is another step you can proceed with, to cleanse the skin.
- Look out for certain ingredients – Use products with ingredients that have salicylic acid, tea tree oil, benzoyl peroxide. Always use such products under the supervision of a doctor.
Also Read: Is Chemical Peel Good For Acne?
How To Prevent Heat Pimples?
- Exercise has been proven to reduce internal body temperature and can help dispel toxins from the skin.
- Adequate hydration of the body by intake of 3-4 liters of water on a daily basis can bring the body temperature down and control acne breakouts.
- Do not pop or attempt to extract these pimples as that can lead to scarring. Just remember to keep your fingers away from them and let them heal naturally.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetable that have high water content. Include watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers, oranges, coconut water etc. in your diet.
- Shower more than once a day especially if you are living in humid climate. Remember to use lukewarm to cool water instead of hot water. Hot water may increase the body temperature and create more pimples.
- Wear loose clothes that are made from fabrics such as cotton and silk. Avoid tight fitting outfits, synthetic fabric and too many layers of clothes.
- Seek immediate medical help. Expert dermatologist consultation will ensure safe and effective treatment
- Avoid stepping out into the sun, as it will not just make you more sweaty and hot, but will increase the chances of sun burn, rashes and heat pimples.
With certain tips and precautions, you can prevent heat damage on your skin. For heat pimples and acne mechanica, it is advisable to visit your dermatologist.