Are you having painful breakouts frequently? Do you feel instant beauty hacks, your grandmother’s home remedies or popular acne products are not working for you? Well, do not hit the panic button yet! Read this article to know the cause of acne. Discover super simple and ultra-effective beauty tips that leading dermatologists world over approve for keeping the pimple problems at bay!
Why Do You Get Acne?
Acne occurs when a buildup of excess oil, dirt, dead cells and bacteria clog our skin pores. Hormonal changes related to puberty usually trigger excess sebum production and result in teen acne. Adults too have the skin condition up to the age of 40 years due to hormonal fluctuations associated with pregnancy, menopause, underlying health conditions like PCOS and insulin resistance, high stress, the side-effect of medications and poor lifestyle habits. A positive family history of acne can increase your chances of having it too!
Acne affects both men and women and may occur in the form of whiteheads, blackheads, red bumps or papules, pus-filled eruptions called pustules, nodules and cysts based on the severity of the concern. Zits if left untreated, involve a high risk of recurrence, aggravation, pigmentation and scarring. Now, that you know about the cause of acne, it’s critical to verify if food habits play a role in managing the condition or not.
Best Diet For Clear And Healthy Skin
There is plenty of contradictory information about the correlation between acne and food on the web. However, here are some dietary tips that you may follow to manage acne-prone skin:
- Add foods that have a low glycemic index in your diet plans, such as whole grains, legumes, and fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Intake of foods rich in minerals like zinc such as pumpkin seeds, cashews, beef, turkey, quinoa, lentils and seafood can also improve your skin health.
- Consume a diet rich in essential nutrients like Vitamin A and E like toasted almonds, sunflower seeds, almond butter, and peanut butter. These super-foods can help in enhancing the healing response of the skin.
Consult a dermatologist before making the above changes in your food habits. However, you can go right ahead and explore some useful skin-care tips to keep acne away.
How To Prevent Pimples On Face?
Leading dermatologists too approve the following “beauty tips” for the effective prevention of breakouts:
- Practice Hygiene: It’s not rocket science, but keeping your face clean to remove excess oil, dirt and sweat twice a day can help prevent acne. Use a mild, facewash suitable for your skin type. It is the first choice of acne treatment for most of us.
- Know Your Skin Type: This may sound obvious, but many of us do not know our skin type. Subsequently, we are not aware of our skin needs and follow a wrong skin-care routine.
- Follow Skin-care Regimen: Follow a skin-care routine that includes cleansing, moisturising, and applying a sunscreen every day.
- Indulge In Bedtime Skin-care: Make sure you remove all make-up and apply a moisturiser apt for your skin type before hitting the bed.
- Use The Right Products: Use skin-care products that are suitable for your skin type. If you have acne-prone skin, use non-comedogenic and water or gel-based products to avoid breakouts. It is a good idea to ask your dermatologist to recommend them.
- Skip Scrubbing: Aggressive scrubbing and regular use of harsh exfoliants can do more damage than good. It may irritate your inflamed skin and aggravate acne.
- Avoid Popping Your Pimple: Most of us have the misconception that popping the pimple is a quick-fix method to reduce the inflammation and pain. However, resist the temptation as picking zits can lead to permanent marks and scars.
- Seek Early Medical Advice: Any grade of acne can worsen and cause permanent skin damage in the form of scars. Consulting a dermatologist as soon you notice a breakout is a safe bet to prevent their recurrence.
- Have Patience: Do not expect any medical treatment to give you magical results. Rest assured you will notice visible improvement in your skin condition as your treatment progresses. Follow your doctor’s advice to the “t” to enjoy the best results.
- Keep Yourself Hydrated: Increase your water intake to get rid of the toxins in your skin and prevent clogging of pores.
Must Read: How To Get Rid Of Acne?
If the above tips are not working for you, and you are still having pimples, it is time to explore treatment options that may help you reduce them effectively.
Best Acne Creams And Gels
Anti-acne creams and gels flood the market as they enjoy massive popularity. It is the first choice of treatment for acne for most of us. These OTC acne products usually contain benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, alpha-hydroxy acids and sulphur that help unclog pores and reduce acne. However, since these topical applications do not address the underlying cause, they may give temporary results at best. There are high chances that your pimples start reappearing as soon as you stop using these facewashes and ointments. Unsupervised use of these medicated creams may cause severe side-effects like skin irritation and discolouration, which may worsen your skin condition.
Home Remedies To Prevent Acne
Home remedies for acne are one of the most widely searched topics on the web. A majority of us believe that kitchen ingredients like apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, aloe vera gel, honey and turmeric have miraculous properties. These beauty secrets passed down for generations boast to permanently cure acne and give us overnight results minus any side-effects! Unfortunately, scientific data does not validate these tall claims. Till date, the safety and efficacy of home remedies for reducing acne remain unproven. Experimenting with them may be equivalent to taking the risk of irritating your sensitive and acne-prone skin and triggering breakouts.
Now that you know about the limitations associated with self-care read on to find out more effective professional solutions that may help you manage your acne better.
Prescription Treatments For Acne
A visit to an experienced dermatologist will be a smart move to control your acne bouts. He may perform a thorough diagnosis first to identify the underlying cause, your skin type and the severity of your condition. He may prescribe topical and oral antibiotics to minimise skin inflammation. He may even recommend medications to correct any hormonal imbalance that may be resulting in acne.
Advanced Removal Procedures
More often than not, acne is a recurring problem and can lead to scars and marks. While seeking professional help, we all look forward to getting visible results. So, leading dermatologists recommend advanced aesthetic procedures often to help you achieve clear skin:
- Chemical Peels: Acne control peels help remove the dead cells and reveal rejuvenated skin from beneath. Experienced doctors perform controlled exfoliation to minimise breakouts.
- Acne Extractions: As part of this treatment, your skin specialist may use a specialised instrument to extract whiteheads and blackheads safely and give you blemish-free and smooth skin.
- Laser And Light Therapies: Top skin clinics offer laser-based treatments to visibly treat pigmentation associated with acne and help you enjoy a spotless complexion.
What Is Spot Treatment? Is It Useful?
Spot treatment, as the name suggests, involves the precise application of topical applications in the form of gels and ointments on individual eruptions. It may help diminish the current breakout but since the underlying cause remains unaddressed the chances of recurrence are high, which may lead to acne scars.
Now, you know all about the various options available to treat acne. Go ahead and make an informed decision! Consult an experienced dermatologist at Oliva Skin & Hair Clinic and get a customised solution that can help you get rid of your acne today! Get ready to get pimple-free skin!