Table of Contents
When looking at yourself in the mirror you might notice few small to large pores which are normal. Many people have visible and large pores that mar the beauty and also hamper self-confidence. Open pores on face are actually helpful in keeping the skin healthy but when the size of these pores becomes too apparent, it becomes a cause of concern.
What Is Open Pores On Face?
Pores are tiny openings on your skin that allows it to breathe and also helps in shedding toxins off the skin’s surface. These pores comprise oil glands each pore has a hair follicle beneath. These pores usually enlarge with age or any skin condition, otherwise for most people they are not very visible on face.
Sebaceous glands at the pores help in production of sebum or natural oils which keep the skin hydrated. Sweat pores act as the duct for sebaceous glands. Whether you have large pores, small pores, closed pores, oily pores, deep pores or clogged pores on your face, all of these characteristics are dependent on your genes, the colour of your skin as well as your skin type. These pores may occur on your face specifically forehead, nose, chin or cheek region.
What Causes Open Pores On Face?
Some causes of big open pores on the face include –
- Genetics – One of the primary causes of large open pores on face that are visible, is due to genetic makeup. If your parents or grandparents have this, then chances are that you would have such skin too.
- Skin Type – Generally oily or dry skin are more prone to such open pores on face. As their pores are already suffering either from excess sebum or lack of it, so it gets enlarged and becomes apparent.
- Excess Sun Exposure – Unprotected sun exposure results in large pores on your face. This happens because the skin’s collagen gets damaged by the harsh UV rays which in turn shrink the elasticity of the skin’s pore canals and causes thickening of the skin.
- Ageing – As we age, our skin starts losing its elasticity and firmness leaving us with enlarged pores. This is one of the most common causes of large pores.
- Sweating – When you go through excessive sweating, it leads to the unclogging of open pores on your face which makes the pores look enlarged.
- Hygiene – Lack of good and proper hygiene play a crucial role in enlarging your pores. Not washing your face, not protecting your skin from the sun, etc., can all damage the skin’s elasticity which in turn results in large pores.
- Blackheads – Blackheads are a problem in itself and apart from dealing with them; you will also have to deal with one of its side effects which are enlarged pores on face.
- Excessive Oil Production – Normal production of oil is necessary for the skin; but when there is excess production, it ends up clogging your pores which makes it difficult for the oil to flow freely and results in your pores becoming enlarged.
- Acne – Just like blackheads, acne is another skin condition which lists enlargement of pores as one of its side effect.
- Makeup – Makeup might help you to hide those pores, but they actually lead to further problems. When the cosmetic product settles in the open pores, they highlight your pores and make them appear enlarged. The pores also tend to become the dumping ground for all the excess oil and dirt.
Different Types Of Pores On The Skin
The three different types of pores on the skin include –
- O type pores – These are caused due to hormonal flux and it shows they enlarged during your adolescence due to excess sebum clogging the pores. This leads to the formation of acne and these acne enlarge the pores further
- U shaped pores – These are caused by dry skin and lack of ample elastin. It begins as an early sign of aging on the skin. This lack of elasticity causes wrinkles and roughness on the skin. This causes the skin to appear sagged and stretched
- Y shaped pores – This is the extreme case of dry skin which has absolutely no elasticity. This can get damaged even with mild exfoliation and cleansing with pressure.
Additionally, there are clogged pores which arise due to accumulation of dirt, oils, grime and bacterial proliferation on them. This may cause acne, rosacea and other skin diseases.
Also Read: Scars On Legs – Causes And Treatments
How To Treat Open Pores On Face?
There are a number of treatments to remove pores from face or skin. Your dermatologist might suggest any of the following methods which can help you to reduce the appreance of enlarged pores.
- Lasers – Laser treatments have gained immense popularity in the dermatology. Apart from its multitude of uses, it is also helpful in reducing the open pores by increasing the collagen production in your skin. This treatment is quite effective in treating the pores which occur as a side effect of acne. The best thing is lasers have no downtime.
- Chemical Peels – Just like laser treatments, chemical peels have also become the go-to solution to remove open pores. The chemical peels help in bringing back the skin’s essential nutrients, increasing the production of collagen and firming up the skin. They help in controlled exfoliation and remove the upper dead skin layer. This brings about new and rejuvenated skin from beneath and thus clears the enlarged pores. Some popular and effective chemical peeling agents include –
- TCA Cross – In this peeling treatment, a toothpick is used to apply Trichloroacetic Acid (TCA) on the walls of the open pores. After the application, you will notice that the pores get covered by a black scab. These scabs will eventually fall off after 7 – 10 days.
- Salicylic Acid – This is an ideal acne control peel for people who have extremely oily skin. The salicylic acid which is a Beta-hydroxy acid helps in closing the open pores by getting rid of the keratin plug by seeping into the sebaceous glands. When this happens, the size of the open pores reduces. It is advisable that people with sensitive and dry skin should avoid using this treatment as it is not suitable for their skin type.
- Microneedling – Radio frequency microneedling is another advanced treatment that helps in removing the acne or other outgrowths and also reduce the size of open pores on the face
- Retinoids – Another way to reduce the size of your pores is with the help if retinoids; both oral and topical. Not only does it help in reducing the size of the pores but also helps in reducing the production of excess oil.
- Comedone Extraction – For persistent blackheads and whiteheads, comedone extraction is done to remove the growth from the open pores. An expert dermatologist uses a specific instrument with precision removing these outgrowths and thus helping in reducing the size of open pores especially on nose, chin and cheeks
- AFT Technology – The Advanced Fluorescence Technology (ATF) neither has any downtime nor any side effects. A light-based device is used to penetrate deep into the skin and stimulate the formation of collagen and new skin. The end result of this skin rejuvenating treatment is a brighter and fresher looking skin.
- Clear Lift – With a treatment time of just 20 minutes and zero recovery time, the clear lift treatment helps in getting rid of the pores by penetrating the dermis and stimulating collagen production. This process aids in increasing the elasticity of the skin and leaving you with a younger-looking skin. Also, this is a US-FDA approved treatment.
- Pixel Perfect Technology – Providing positive and remarkable results within 7 days, the pixel perfect technology treatment entails formation of new skin and self-exfoliation of the existing skin.
- Facial Masks, Home Remedies – There is no scientific evidence suggesting the effectiveness of face mask or home remedies for treating open pores. Also there must be expert intervention as all skin types are different. And there can be adverse side effects if you apply unsuitable or harsh chemicals on the skin which may aggravate the pores further.
Also Read: Does Laser Acne Scar Removal Work?
Prevention Tips For Open Pores On Face
- Eat Healthy Diet – Majority of our skin conditions including enlarged and clogged pores can easily be prevented if we maintain and stick to a healthy diet. Include food items which are rich in Vitamin A, C and E, as well as antioxidants, as they can do wonders for your skin
- Sunscreen – The importance of applying a sunscreen cannot be emphasized enough. You need to protect your skin with a layer of sunscreen every time you step out of the house. Ideally, you should use a sunscreen with SPF 30 or more
- Use Non Comedogenic Products – Non-comedogenic products would ensure they do not cause clogging of pores thus the pores will no enlarge and cause any acne
- Cleanse Your Face – It is not enough just to use a cleanser. You should also know how to use the cleanser in order to gain the optimum benefit from it so that you can successfully prevent the occurrence of enlarged pores. Avoid rubbing your skin as much as possible
- Remove Makeup Before Bed – No matter how tired you are at the end of the day; you need to remove the makeup completely from your face before you hit the bed. All the leftover makeup can end up enlarging and clogging your pores thus causing acne
- Use Suitable Skin Care Products – The cosmetic industry is quite wide and varying in nature. There is something for everyone. So ensure that you pick up cosmetics which are suitable for your skin type and tone. Using the wrong products will adversely affect the pores on face.
- Moisturize The Skin Optimally – Make sure that you include moisturizing as part of your daily skincare routine; even if you have oily skin! The moisturizers help in conditioning your skin. As mentioned earlier, just make sure to choose the right moisturizer according to your skin type and tone.
- Stay Hydrated – Just like how eating a healthy diet can help in the prevention of open pores on face, similarly, drinking the required amount of water can also help you from preventing clogging of pores. Try and drink at least eight glasses of water in a day in order to keep your skin hydrated from within, to remove all the toxins from your pores and to boost your overall complexion.
So there you have it the best ways on how to reduce pores on face as well as how to prevent them from occurring. We hope that this information helps you in successfully dealing with your enlarged pores problem and ensuring that you keep yourself protected from its re-occurrence.
- Are Your A Right Candidate?
All the pore removal treatments are effective both men and women. If you feel pores on your face have opened too much, then you are a suitable candidate for this treatment.
- Are There Any Side Effects?
These treatments are safe with little to no side effect.
- What Is The Cost Of Laser Treatment For Open Pores In India?
Reputed clinics in India charges between Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 10,000 per session of open pore treatment. Based on the severity of your pores, type of procedure and number of sessions are decided. Medication and creams are charged additionally.
- How To Close Open Pores Permanently?
You may have encountered different products, creams, solutions or alternative treatment for open pores. They even claim to close pores overnight, but this is rarely the fact. In most cases, cosmetic procedures can help you to reduce the appearance of open pores. But getting rid of them completely is not possible.
- Does Open Pore Creams Help?
Your dermatologist may suggest a medicated cream after evaluating your skin type. Over the counter removal creams might not be suitable for your skin type. So caution should be exercised before choosing any such cream.
- Is The Treatment Permanent?
Any cosmetic treatment gives you long-term results. As suggested by dermatologists skin pores might come back with ageing, hormonal changes, unhygienic conditions or any other reason. So the dermatologists advise to follow a suitable skin care routine to ensure you are enjoying long-lasting results.