The natural aging process of the skin combined with the repetitive facial movements causes different unwanted effects to develop on the skin. These effects range from fine lines and wrinkles to even sagging skin. Dermal fillers are one of the most popular treatments used to fill in fine lines, wrinkles, and other areas of your face to enhance specific features and make your skin appear smoother and fuller.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
A Dermal Filler is a minimally invasive form of cosmetic treatment that can target and get rid of fine lines and wrinkles effectively. They are injectable implants that can also be used to highlight facial contours such as the cheeks, lips, and chin. Lost volume in the facial features due to diseases can be restored with the help of dermal fillers as well. These simple and safe injections help to fill in lines and plump up the skin to restore youthfulness and smoothness.
Injectable dermal fillers can be made up of various materials such as hyaluronic acid, collagen, silicone, PTFE, PMMA, polylactic acid, fat, etc. Depending on the type of filler being used, the results can last between six months to two years.
Also Read: What Causes Aging?
Types Of Dermal Fillers
The classification for the types of dermal fillers is primarily based on how long the results last. Dermal fillers are categorized into three types –
- Temporary Fillers – Hyaluronic acid dermal filler comes under this type. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in our skin and joints, that is responsible for absorbing and binding water molecules. In the skin, it helps to keep it plump and give it the volume that is needed. When used in dermal filler treatment, hyaluronic acid is degraded slowly in the skin, making its results temporary.
- Semi-permanent Fillers – Dermal fillers made from synthetic substances that are not absorbed by the body provide results that last longer than hyaluronic acid filler treatment.
- Permanent Fillers – Such fillers offer a permanent solution for your wrinkles and for rejuvenating any sunken areas of the face, but they are not approved by the FDA due to safety concerns. Silicone and PTFE based fillers are common examples. The results are too evident and look artificial.
Also Read: How Is The Filler Used?
Benefits Of Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers are a great solution for getting rid of aging concerns like fine lines and wrinkles, along with restoring the lost volume in different areas of your face.
- Forehead – Both horizontal wrinkles on the forehead and frown lines can be filled-in with the help of dermal fillers.
- Nasolabial Area – Nasolabial folds or smile lines that run from the corner of your nose to your mouth can be filled in easily.
- Under Eye – Dermal fillers for dark circles or sunken under eye are a common anti-aging treatment opted to rejuvenate the skin and change the entire look of your face.
- Cheeks – Sunken areas in cheeks, jowls or other creases can be eliminated in a matter of an hour or so.
- Nose – Prominent bumps in the nose can be filled-in with the help of dermal fillers and at the cost of a surgical treatment.
- Chin – Marionette lines that run from the mouth corners to the chin can be treated effectively. Loss of fat in the chin and jawline area can also be filled-in.
- Lips – For people who want to plump up their thin lips, dermal fillers are an easy and safe treatment option to choose.
- Scars – Both acne scars and surgical scars can be treated for a long period of time using injectable dermal fillers.
How Do Fillers Help In Slowing Natural Aging?
Dermal fillers can literally fill in lines, creases, and sunken areas of the face that develop with the natural aging process. Regular follow up sessions can help to slow down the visible effects of aging on your face. While there is no way to actually stop or decelerate the natural aging process, cosmetic treatments like dermal filler treatment can help in diminishing the signs prominently.
Also Read: Anti Aging Treatments
Procedure For Dermal Filler Treatment
Dermal filler treatments are performed by certified dermatologists at expert skin clinics. Once you have expressed your concern and your expectations to the doctor, he/she will examine your skin and the area to be treated. Based on the observations and the initial consultation, the dermatologist will advise you with the best type of filler that suits your skin’s needs.
Being a short procedure, the treatment can be performed immediately as well. Ideally, the dermatologist may advise you to schedule it at a later date depending on how soon an appointment is available. The procedure is carried out in a sterile and hygienic environment and the injection is administered by the dermatologist. You can go back to complete the rest of your chores for the day because the procedure does not leave any telltale signs or discomfort. Post care advice to ensure the efficacy of the results is given by the dermatologist before you leave the clinic.
Also Read: How To Remove Fine Lines?
What To Expect During The Treatment?
During the treatment, a topical anesthetic may or may not be used to numb the skin in the treatment area. In the case where it is not being used, the type of filler being used is formulated in conjunction with a numbing agent to minimize the discomfort. Once the skin is prepped, a thin syringe is used to inject the dermal filler into the skin. You may feel a slight pinprick like sensation. In just under an hour, the treatment is completed.
Results After Dermal Fillers
When the before and after dermal filler images are compared, the results are noticeable in just a day or two. The lines and wrinkles in the treated area will be gone. The skin will become smooth and plump. This will also help your face to look more youthful and rejuvenated.
Some people may experience redness or swelling, which fades away in just a few hours. In a few cases, an allergic reaction to dermal fillers can develop. This is rare, but is nonetheless possible. Common signs of an allergic reaction include rashes, itching, bruising, etc. A sore can also develop in a few cases. Speak to your dermatologist to rule out all chances of an allergic reaction before undergoing the dermal filler treatment.
- How Long Do Dermal Fillers take to show its effect?
Dermal fillers show quick results. The full effect of the filler can take one to three days to show up on the skin.
- How Long Do Dermal Filler Results Last?
The results of dermal fillers can last from six months to two years and this depends on the type of filler being used. Conduct a comparison before the treatment, to align the results with your expectations.
- Are Dermal Fillers Permanent?
Permanent dermal fillers are not approved by the FDA and are not used in India. Temporary and semi-permanent dermal fillers are the ones that are used and have effective results that can last up to two years.
- Are Dermal Fillers Safe?
Reputable skin clinics and expert dermatologists use dermal fillers that have been approved by the FDA for their safety. Do not opt for a treatment that uses an unapproved type of filler as it can have dangerous effects on your skin and health.
- What Are Dermal Fillers Made Of?
Dermal fillers are commonly made of hyaluronic acid or gel, fat, and collagen. Modern day fillers have the added advantage of containing the numbing agent along with the filler in their formulation.
- Dermal Fillers Cost In India
The cost of dermal fillers in India starts around Rs.7,500 and ranges upto Rs. 42,000. This price can be higher and can vary depending on the type of filler being used, the amount of filler being used, and the experience of the dermatologist performing the treatment.
Dermal fillers provide an excellent solution to the problem of aging including fine lines and wrinkles. Additionally, they can be used for facial contouring and to augment specific features of the face. They transform your skin to have a smooth, plump, and rejuvenated appearance. Their safety is verified by the US FDA and getting the treatment done at a renowned skin clinic will help in slowing down the natural aging process of your skin.