A pretty face is one with a smile on it! But for some people, this sweet smile is marred by a bitter situation – dark upper lip. In the quest for a fair and glowing face, we need to deal with a number of problems such as dark circles, dark upper lips, dark spots, etc. Each of these problems has their own causes and treatment methods and it goes without saying that one should be well aware of such information. This post is dedicated to finding out the various causes of dark upper lips and their treatment options.
What Causes A Dark Upper Lip?
- Sun Exposure – We often tend to skip a basic skin care habit – applying sunscreen before stepping out. The skin above our lip is quite sensitive and sun exposure causes the extra production of melanin pigments which leaves us with dark or brown patches.
- Waxing The Upper Lip – Due to upper lip skin sensitivity, the unwanted hair pulling due to waxing results in a dark line appearing above the upper lip. There might also be discolouration and dark spots.
- Hormonal Imbalance – Apart from natural causes, certain types of medication such as birth control pills can cause hormonal imbalances which in turn can result in a dark upper lip.
- Smoking – Smoking is another common cause of dark skin on the upper lip. Constant smoking results in the transfer of tar and nicotine on to the lip which leads to some discoloration.
Also Read: How To Remove Dark Spots On Face?
Treatments To Lighten Dark Upper Lips
We have listed two of the most effective dark upper lip treatments which can help in regaining any lost colour and glow.
- Microdermabrasion – Our skin has different layers and treatment methods are decided on the type of skin affected. Microdermabrasion treatment is only used if the pigmentation problem has affected the top layers of the skin. The superficial layer is gently exfoliated in order to remove all the dead skin cells. This is one of the safest treatment methods available as it does not cause any significant damage to the skin in general.
- Dermabrasion – Just like microdermabrasion, dermabrasion is also an exfoliating treatment. However, the difference is this treatment method is used only to treat skin damage which has occurred in the skin’s deeper layers. A dermatologist will usually use a local anaesthetic during the treatment.
Also Read: How To Find The Best Dermatologist Near You?
What Do Specialists Say About Laser Treatment For Lips?
While laser treatments are great to deal with a variety of skin problems, most specialists are against the use of laser treatments to lighten a dark upper lip.
The colour of the lips is more to do with the density of blood vessels rather than melanin (a skin pigment) which is required for laser treatments to be successful. Instead, they suggest opting for permanent makeup or medical grade tattooing to improve the colour of your lips with the help of an experienced makeup artist or applying sunscreen with SPF 30, dermatologist prescribed bleaching creams, etc.
Tips To Lighten Dark Upper Lips
You can also follow the below tips which can help you to lighten the dark upper lip.
- Keep your lips hydrated at all times with the help of a moisturizing lip balm. You should also drink enough glasses of water to keep yourself hydrated internally.
- Prepare a lip scrub using natural ingredients and exfoliate your lips at least once a week. For an easier method, wet your lips and gently exfoliate with your toothbrush. Also, make sure to moisturize your lips after a session of exfoliation.
Also Read: How To Lighten Your Skin Tone Permanently?
- Avoid sun damage by applying a sunscreen with SPF 30 or more. Also, try to use lip balms which contain an SPF rating.
- Reduce the intake of tea, coffee or other caffeinated drinks and avoid smoking.
- Gently massage your lips with natural oils (eg: coconut or olive oil) to increase blood circulation.
Following these tips and treatments can help in successfully dealing with your dark upper lip problem. We hope that this post has helped you in gaining a thorough knowledge about the causes and treatment options available.