Scars on the face are painful and disturbing as they alter your beauty. And when these scars arise from an unfortunate accident, they even dampen your confidence. The good part is, most of these scars can be treated and removed with desired results.
Why Do Accident Scars Form?
Skin that is injured or harmed during an accident is most likely to develop some form of scar. Since scarring is a natural process to heal and replace the damaged skin, after an injury. Scars are usually composed of a fibrous tissue. The size, appearance and depth of scar depends entirely on the location and type of accident, and also on your ethnicity, age, sex and genes. They may be colored, sunken, flat and even lumpy in appearance.
Types Of Scars Related To Injury Or Accident
- Keloid scars – Keloid scars are bumpy and raised. They often grow larger than the wound itself. They even continue to grow after the injury is healed due to over-production of certain cells. Smaller keloids can be removed by cryotherapy and pressure treatment, while bigger keloid scars can be treated by laser therapy, radiation and steroid injections.
- Hypertrophic – Very similar to keloids, hypertrophic scars are thick, raised, red and itchy. They do not spread beyond the site of injury, and become less noticeable over time but that process can take years. Laser surgery and steroid injections can help in treating these scars.
- Atrophic – Pitted, hole-like scars which are sunken in skin, are called atrophic scars. These are caused when the underlying fat or muscles are lost. They mostly appear after acne, chicken pox or surgery and insect bites; they can also be caused by an injury as. They can be treated by laser therapy, microdermabrasion, collagen filler along with topical medications.
- Contracture – These scars are often the result of burns and they cause the skin to tighten or contract. They can restrict the muscle movement and damage the nerves. These can also develop when scars heal. These are difficult to remove and maybe treated by skin grafting and tissue expansion.
Can You Remove These Scars/ Marks?
Injury related scars which are deep, can be faded but may not be healed completely. Also the scars that occur due to accidents can be treated with good results, and each type of scar has its own course of treatment. Scar removal treatments have become very popular among Indians, as most of the procedures are easy and convenient. With modern technology and advancements in dermatology, majority of scars can be treated with desired outcomes.
What Are The Options To Treat Injury Scars On Face?
When the skin is injured during an accident, various types of scars can be formed and each type of scar has its own treatment. Before scars can be eliminated, the skin must heal and the scar tissues must soften, in order for the treatment to work. Your dermatologist would determine a suitable treatment, best fitted for the kind of scars on your face. Some non-invasive ways of removing accident scars on face include –
- Laser Treatment – Laser treatment is considered the best method to remove injury scars from face. Different types of scars demand a different type of Laser. Laser uses beam of light in a controlled manner, which converts into heat energy to remove the upper damaged layers of the skin (safely) and reveal healthier, fresher skin that is underneath the scars and blemishes. Laser therapy also tightens, smoothens and brightens the skin.
- Chemical Peels – Another easy and quick method to help fade scars, chemical peel uses certain plant extracts in carrying concentrations, to suit your skin type. It may either be applied individually or mixed with other chemicals for enriched benefits to give desired results. Chemical peels are an excellent treatment for old scars that refuse to heal and fade away. A single layer of peel is applied to the scarred surface and left for 5-8 minutes. It is then washed away and left to heal naturally.
- Topical Creams For Accident Scars – Certain ingredients can help in fading the scars in addition to the above treatments. These include silicone, Vitamin A C & E, Sulphur, triclosan, etc. These creams must be used under the supervision of a dermatologist and applied under strict guidelines provided by the dermatologist.
- Cryotherapy – The scar is frozen off using a medicine like liquid nitrogen. It is often proceeded together with steroid injections.
- Steroid Injections – Steroids are injected directly at the scar to reduce itching, redness and burning sensations. It may also decrease the size of some scars.
- Skin Grafting Surgery – If all the non-surgical treatments are ineffective then surgery may be done with an incision at the site of the scar, sutured precisely. Taking a healthy piece of skin from donor site of the patient and grafting it at the site of the scar, with its underlying fats, blood vessels and muscles to enable newer and healthier skin growth.
Also Read: How To Remove Acne Scars And Pimple Marks
Cosmetic Treatments Vs Creams For Injury Scars On Face
When comparing cosmetic treatment with scar removal creams, it is vital to remember that both are useful in removing accident scars. Most often both of them will be recommended by the dermatologist. However, scar removal creams have several drawbacks though –
- Not As Potent- Scar removal creams do not work on a lot of scars. Bumpy (hypertrophic) or pitted (atrophic) scars can only be treated by using cosmetic treatments.
- Not 100% Effective- Some scar removal creams will not remove the scar completely. Whereas some creams may cause discoloration and leave white patches.
- Take a Long Time- Scar removal creams take anywhere from 6 months to 1 year, to remove the scars. And they are only effective with daily application. Better and more effective results are easily available in less time, when using cosmetic treatments.
FAQs On Accident Scars
- What is the cost of accident scar removal in India?
The cost of scar removal depends on the size of scar as well as the treatment you have opted for. There are many types of treatments and each one has its own price.
- How many sessions of treatment are suggested?
Again the number of sessions depend entirely on the treatment suggested by the dermatologist. Another factor is the depth and size of the scar. If the scar is deep and very old, it will take more number of sessions to remove it.
- Are these treatments painful?
If the treatment is considered a painful one, then the dermatologist will assist you by applying a numbing gel or local anesthesia in order to make you comfortable. Removing scars does not translate to additional pain.
- Do home remedies help in accident scar removal?
It is an age old myth that home remedies can aid in removing accident scars. If the scar is a minor one that is neither deep nor bumpy, it can fade away on its own, in sometime. But if you are looking for immaculate result that not only heals your scars but gives your skin an extra glow, then it’s necessary for you to opt for cosmetic treatment under an expert dermatologist.
- Do cosmetic treatments remove scar completely?
In many cases the cosmetic treatments fade the scars to a great extent. Cosmetic treatments have been designed to remove all kinds of scars. Irrespective of the accident or the nature of scar, cosmetic treatments have evolved and advanced to facilitate in removal of scars.
Don’t let these scars make your feel disfigured or unattractive. Regain the lost confidence with the latest, most advanced technology the world has to offer. Check with an expert dermatologist to determine the most suitable course of treatment for your accident/ injury scars on face.