Accidental scars are the direct aftermath of major burns and injuries. If you are suffering from one, know more about the advanced dermatological treatments available to make an informed decision and reduce it visibly.
Why Do Accident Scars Form?
Skin that suffers from injury in the form of accidental burns or cuts undergoes a natural process of healing and replacing the damaged tissue, often resulting in scars.
Types Of Scars Related To Injury Or Accident
Dermatologists classify accidental scars as the following:
1. Keloid scars – Keloid scars are bumpy, raised in appearance and itchy and extend beyond the injury margins. Cryotherapy and pressure treatment can treat smaller keloids while laser therapy, radiation therapy for postoperative keloids, and steroid injections can reduce bigger ones.
2. Hypertrophic – Hypertrophic scars are thick, raised, red and itchy and are confined to injury margins. Over the years they become less noticeable. Laser therapy and steroid injections can help in treating these scars.
3. Atrophic – Atrophic scars are hole-like scars that appear embedded in the skin. A dermatologist can reduce them effectively by using laser therapy, micro needling radiofrequency along with topical medications.
4. Contracture –These scars are often the result of burns, and they cause the skin to tighten or contract. These are difficult to treat and may require extensive procedures like Scar excision, skin grafting, and tissue expansion.
Can You Remove These Scars/ Marks?
Completely removing these scars may not be possible. However, there are effective advanced dermatological treatments to reduce these accident scars visibly.
What Are The Options To Treat Injury Scars On Face?
If you have accident marks on the face, here are a few treatment options your dermatologist may suggest.
1. Laser Treatment – This is one of the best treatments for reducing accident scars. A dermatologist will use a laser beam in a controlled manner on a target area; the light and heat energy from the laser help in removing the damaged layers of the skin and deliver visible results.
2. Chemical Peels – Chemical peels use a combination of certain plant extracts and chemicals in varying concentrations. These peels help in exfoliating and removing all the dead skin cells. They are effective in treating pigmented scars. A dermatologist will apply the peel to the scarred area and leave it for a stipulated time. The doctor then would wash it away and allow the skin to heal naturally post-treatment.
3. Topical Creams For Accident Scars – Certain topical medications contain ingredients like silicone, Vitamin A, C & E, Sulphur, triclosan, etc. These prescription creams help in fading the scars when used in combination with the above treatments. You should use these scar removal creams under the strict supervision of a dermatologist.
4. Steroid Injections – Steroids are injected directly at the target area to reduce itching, redness and burning sensations. It may also decrease the size of some scars.
Dermatological Treatments Vs Creams
While comparing dermatological treatment with scar removal creams, it is vital to remember that both are useful in treating accident scars. Your dermatologist may advise a combination of both to reduce your scars effectively. But using only the scar removal creams will not be effective in reducing the scars. Some of the other drawbacks of using only these accidental scar removal creams are:
1. They are not as potent- Scar removal creams do not work on all types of scars. For example, advanced dermatological treatments only can reduce bumpy (hypertrophic) or pitted (atrophic) scars.
2. They are not 100% Effective- Some of the scar removal creams are ineffective and may cause side effects like discoloration of the skin. Some people report developing white patches on the skin.
3. They take longer- Scar removal creams cannot penetrate till the required depth where injections and lasers can reach. So they may or may not reduce the scars even if you use them daily for months together. Instead, dermatological treatments will provide quicker and more effective results.
1. What is the cost of accident scar removal treatment in India?
The cost of scar removal depends on the size of the scar as well as the treatment option you choose. There are many types of procedures, and each one has a different price.
2. How many sessions of treatment are suggested?
Again, the number of sessions depends entirely on the treatment suggested by the dermatologist. Another factor is the depth and size of the scar. If the scar is deep and very old, it will take several sessions to reduce it visibly.
3. Are these treatments painful?
If the treatment considered is a painful one, then the dermatologist will apply a numbing gel or local anesthesia to make you comfortable. Removing scars does not translate to additional pain.
4. Do home remedies help in the removal of an accident scar?
Home remedies are the go-to solution for many people. Most of them are ineffective in treating the accident scars; Moreover, their safety and efficacy are questionable. You should seek professional medical help to treat severe scars rather than use ineffective home remedies.
5. Do dermatological treatments remove the scar completely?
Advanced dermatological procedures reduce all kinds of scars visibly.
If you have an accident scar, consult an expert dermatologist to determine the most suitable course of treatment for reducing it visibly. Go ahead and book an appointment at your nearest Skin & Hair Clinic today.