Accidental scars on face are the direct aftermath of major burns and injuries. If you are suffering from one, know more about the advanced dermatological treatments available to make an informed decision and reduce it visibly.
Why Do Accident Scars Form?
Skin that suffers from an injury in the form of accidental burns, abrasion scratches or cuts undergoes a natural process of healing and replacing the damaged tissue, often resulting in scars.
Types Of Scars Related To Injury Or Accident
Dermatologists classify accidental scars as the following:
- Keloid: Keloid scars are bumpy, raised in appearance and itchy and extend beyond the injury margins. Cryotherapy and pressure treatment can treat smaller keloids while laser therapy, radiation therapy for postoperative keloids, and steroid injections can reduce bigger ones.
- Hypertrophic: Hypertrophic scars are thick, raised, red and itchy and are confined to injury margins. Over the years they become less noticeable. Laser therapy and steroid injections can help in treating these scars.
- Atrophic: Atrophic scars are hole-like scars that appear embedded in the skin. A dermatologist can reduce them effectively by using laser therapy, micro-needling radiofrequency along with topical medications.
- Contracture: These scars are often the result of burns, and they cause the skin to tighten or contract. These are difficult to treat and may require extensive procedures like Scar excision, skin grafting, and tissue expansion.
Can You Remove These Scars/ Marks?
Completely removing these scars may not be possible. However, there are effective advanced dermatological treatments to reduce these accident scars visibly.
What Are The Options To Treat Accident Scars On Face?
If you have accident scars on the face, here are a few treatment options your dermatologist may suggest.
- Laser Treatment: This is one of the best treatments for reducing accident scars. A dermatologist will use a laser beam in a controlled manner on a target area; the light and heat energy from the laser help in treating the damaged layers of the skin and delivering visible results.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels use a combination of plant extracts in varying concentration to treat damaged skin. These peels help in exfoliating and removing all the dead skin cells. They are effective in treating pigmented scars. A dermatologist will apply the peel to the scarred area and leave it for a stipulated time. The doctor then would wash it away and allow the skin to heal naturally post-treatment.
- Topical Creams For Accident Scars: Certain topical medications contain ingredients like silicone, Vitamin A, C & E, Sulphur, and triclosan. These help in fading the scars when used in combination with the above treatments. It is advisable to use these scar removal creams under the strict supervision of a dermatologist.
- Steroid Injections: Steroids are injected directly at the target area to reduce itching, redness and burning sensations. It may also decrease the size of some scars.
#The presence of accident scars on the face is an unpleasant experience for all. However, with specialized treatments, these marks can fade to a great extent. Watch this video to know effective Scar removal treatments.
How Much Does Accident Scars Removal Cost In India?
The cost of treatment for removal of accident scars is variable. Check out the following cost details to make an informed decision that suits your budget:
- Laser Therapy: Costs between Rs 7,000 and Rs 20,000 per session.
- Chemical Peels: Priced between Rs 3,000, and Rs 7,000 per session.
- Topical Medications: Costs between Rs 900 and Rs 7000 per session.
Your dermatologist may recommend these treatments either singularly or in combination. The cost of treatment varies from one person to another depending on the choice of procedure, the severity of the condition, the size, type and depth of the scars, your skin type and the number of sessions recommended. The prices mentioned here are indicative only and may vary from one clinic to another based on its location, reputation, the technology available and the experience of the doctor. It is advisable to visit a skin clinic to find out the exact cost of treatment for the removal of accident scars.
Must Read: What Is The Cost Of Laser Scar Removal?
Do Scar Removal Creams Work Accident Scars?
While comparing dermatological treatment with scar removal creams, it is vital to remember that both are useful in treating accident scars on face. Your dermatologist may advise a combination of both to reduce your scars effectively. But using only the scar removal creams will not be effective in reducing the scars. Some of the other drawbacks of using only these accidental scar removal creams are:
- They are not as potent- Scar removal creams do not work on all types of scars. For example, advanced dermatological treatments only can reduce bumpy (hypertrophic) or pitted (atrophic) scars.
- They are not 100% Effective- Some of the scar removal creams are ineffective and may cause side effects like discoloration of the skin. Some people report developing white patches on the skin.
- They take longer- Scar removal creams cannot penetrate till the required depth where injections and lasers can reach. So they may or may not reduce the scars even if you use them daily for months together. Instead, dermatological treatments will provide quicker and more effective results.
Must Read: How To Remove Stich Mark Scars Effectively?
If you have an accident scar, consult an expert dermatologist to determine the most suitable course of treatment for reducing it visibly.