Stitches or sutures become necessary to facilitate healing especially if the skin cannot heal on its own. However, they may disrupt the natural healing process of our skin and leave scars behind. Many people want to remove stitch marks due to aesthetic reasons. Fortunately, there are several advanced treatment procedures, which can help in stitch mark removal. Stitch marks removal is feasible using advanced dermatological treatments that help to restore the flawless and scar-free skin.
What Is A Stitch Mark?
Usually, doctors apply stitches or sutures in case of severe injury or during surgery. These stitches require proper upkeep to ensure that they do not leave scars. However, stitches often leave behind marks along with a scar on the affected area of the skin. This is because the natural arrangement of the skin cells gets disrupted because of the cut or injury and the healing process does not restore the skin to its former state completely. Since everyone’s skin responds differently to the body’s natural healing process, it may lead to scarring.
What Are The Different Types Of Stitch Marks?
Depending on the type of wound, the doctor decides to use either traditional skin closure techniques such as stitches/sutures or the more contemporary ones called staples. These methods leave stitch marks behind in the form of white or brown dots or those that resemble train tracks. Stitches can leave deep linear marks on any area of your body, such as face including forehead, cheek, etc., arms or hands, upper body (like chest, abdomen, and back), lower body (such as the thigh, calf, foot.)
Can You Prevent Stich Marks?
You cannot prevent this condition, but there are ways to fade their appearance in areas where they are prominently visible for aesthetic reasons.
Why Is It Tricky To Evaluate Your Stitch Mark?
It is tricky to evaluate the old stitch marks as your dermatologist will not be aware of the exact method used to perform the sutures. Nevertheless, based on the current skin condition, he can make a satisfactory decision by conducting a physical examination and recording an in-depth medical history of the client.
# Know different types of scars, causes, and management options available at Oliva Skin and Hair Clinic:
How To Remove Old Stitches Marks?
Here are some of the treatment options your dermatologist may suggest for reducing your stitch marks visibly:
- Stitches Mark Removal Cream: Various topical creams and gels are available to enhance the healing process and to lighten the marks. These formulations contain ingredients like peptides, silicones, and at times, even steroids. Though these creams are popular and are comparatively inexpensive than the other treatment methods, they may not offer long term and desired results. The creams containing steroids may cause long-term side effects. Besides, these creams may slightly reduce the scars caused by stitch marks in the initial stages, but they are hardly effective in treating old scars.
- Laser Treatment: Laser resurfacing is an advanced dermatological treatment that doctors use to improve skin texture and reduce this condition. During the procedure, your dermatologist will direct a controlled beam of laser light at the affected area to stimulate cell regeneration. The thickness and appearance of scars from stitches can reduce drastically with this laser treatment. This method has a marginal downtime and gives effective results without any discomfort or side effects.
- Chemical Peels: Your dermatologist can lighten the darker or pigmented scars left behind by the sutures successfully to an extent by using chemical peels. He may apply a superficial or medium depth chemical peel to the skin to aid the controlled exfoliation of the top layer of dead cells and the revelation of a new healthier layer of skin from beneath.
- Microneedling: This is a modern technique for resurfacing where fine microneedles stimulate collagen fibrils with the use of heat and radiofrequency. It helps to promote the healing of the skin and the gradual lightening of the stitch mark.
- Dermabrasion: It is a cosmetic procedure that helps to fade away stitch marks on the face and body through exfoliation. It is an invasive and abrasive procedure. Your dermatologist will use a specialized instrument to remove the top layers of the skin, and in this process, there will be a change in the alignment of collagen fibers, which will help to lighten the scar to an extent.
- Scar Removal Surgery: A plastic surgeon can perform scar revision surgery to minimize the scar and make them as unnoticeable as possible. This treatment option can be expensive depending on the size of the scar and the technique used during the surgery.
- Injections: If the stitch marks are bumpy and form a raised scar, then your doctor may administer injections to control the bumpiness and make them flat. Dermatologists and plastic surgeons use these injections carefully and in controlled concentrations, as these include certain medications like Triamcinolone.
Must Read: How To Remove Wound And Cut Scars?
What Is The Success Rate Of This Treatment?
OTC medications do not have proven efficacy to remove stitch marks. Chemical peels and dermabrasion help in improving the appearance of new stitch marks to an extent. Laser treatment and micro-needling, by far, have the highest success rate as they can effectively reduce any type of scar or mark.
What Is The Cost Of Stitch Mark Removal?
The cost of laser stitch mark removal treatment in India starts from Rs 7,000 to Rs 20,000 per session. It may vary based on the size of the target area, the depth of stitch marks, the procedure selected, the experience of the doctor and the clinic reputation and location.
Must Read: How Much Does Secret RF Microneedling Cost?
How To Select A Clinic For Stitch Mark Treatment?
- The skin clinic should have the latest equipment with result-oriented technology.
- It is critical to determine whether qualified and experienced dermatologists will be performing the treatments or not.
- The clinic should only use US-FDA approved laser equipment for the procedure.
- The clinic must maintain strict hygiene and follow stringent protocols for effective results.
- You should check for customer reviews of the clinic on various channels to make an informed decision.
Now you know all about the various treatment options for reducing stitch marks. You do not have to live with scars for life. If you have stitch marks and want to remove them for aesthetic reasons, speak to a dermatologist today to know more about a suitable treatment that would work best for you.