Human skin has tiny pores all over for hair to break through as well as sweat and oil to exit our system. Our pores can also help in regulating our body temperature and to further ensure that our skin remains healthy. Even though the openings are in the epidermis, sometimes these pores can get clogged. This doesn’t let our skin breathe naturally, and leads to blackheads, acne, and other kinds of skin irregularities. Extremely clogged pores on the face can lead to unhealthy/unfavourable skin conditions which affect the overall quality of our skin.
What Causes Clogged Pores On Face?
Clogged pores on the nose, face, cheeks, and forehead are common. This is because our face has more sensitive skin and exposed pores that can easily be infected by external factors. There can be different kinds of clogged pores depending on your lifestyle, skin type, environment, and so on. Common causes are:
- Bacteria growth on the skin
- Oil collection in the pores
- Hormonal imbalance
- Allergic reactions
- Too much makeup or cosmetic product use
- Excessive sweating
- Dehydrated skin
- Not cleaning the skin for a long period or the collection of dirt
- Excessive usage of anti-aging lotions
It has been observed in various studies (1) that people with oily skin are more likely to get clogged pores and hence acne on their cheeks and face. Also, in puberty age, androgen hormone (known as male sex hormone) is released both from males and females and causes the skin to produce an excess amount of oil and thus clogging pores (2).
Why Are Clogged Pores Bad For The Skin?
When the pores are clogged, our skin finds it difficult to get rid of excess oil and other waste products. It also compromises the natural flow of oxygen in the skin. This makes the skin either too dry or too oily by changing the ideal pH level, according to a study. These pores often result in the outbreak of acne and pimples as well.
Furthermore, it has been observed that clogged pores on the nose can lead to whiteheads and blackheads. The severity of acne may vary and can be mild, moderate or severe, as per the risk factors. (3) This is because there is a higher concentration of oil-producing glands on the nose. When the surface of the pore is closed and inflamed, it results in the formation of whiteheads. If the surface of the pore is open (yet clogged), then blackheads can occur. The same can happen with clogged pores on the chin or forehead as well.
Clogged Pores Vs Acne
Clogged pores can cause acne vulgaris. However, not every clogged pore turns into acne. When the oil produced by the sebaceous glands gets accumulated, there is a high chance of infection by bacteria, which forms acne. An existing bacterial infection or skin condition can also lead to acne. These pores can also become a whitehead, blackhead, or any other irregular growth.
Must Read: How Do Dermatologists Treat Acne?
Clogged Pores Treatments
Here are some effective ways to treat clogged pores:
- Chemical Peeling – Often performed by dermatologists, a chemical solution is prepared and applied to the skin. When it is removed, it peels the upper layer of the skin which gets rid of clogged pores, scars, pimples, etc. by letting healthy skin cells grow. There are also several home-based peeling gels and masks that you can try to remove clogged pores on your face as well.
- Steam Therapy – Gently wipe your face with a tissue or soft towel. Prepare hot water in a container and pour a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil in it. Cover your face and the container with a towel and let the steam gather. As hot steam will enter your skin pores, it will warm the accumulated oil and get rid of the dead skin Steam for a few minutes, making sure that your skin is not overly exposed to it for a long time. The impurities will leave the clogged pores and can later be removed by washing your face with lukewarm water.
- Exfoliate – To exfoliate your skin, first, remove any makeup using a tissue. Now, with the use of a facial brush, clean your skin by rubbing it in a circular pattern. While rubbing your skin with the brush, you can concentrate on areas such as the nose, chin, or forehead where the concentration of clogged pores is higher. To finish, wash your face with an organic face wash. Some people also apply a natural face mask after the procedure to further exfoliate their skin, however, consider your skin sensitivity.
Must Read: Is Chemical Peel Safe For Skin?
What Is The Cost Of Unclogging The Pores?
Your dermatologist may recommend a chemical peel treatment for cleaning the clogged pores. A single session of chemical peel treatment may cost between Rs 2,000 and Rs 5,000 in India. However, the cost of treatment varies from one person to another depending on the severity of the condition, the target area, your skin type and the number of sessions recommended.
The prices mentioned here are indicative only and may vary from one clinic to another based on its location, reputation, the technology available and the experience of the doctor. It is advisable to visit a skin clinic to find out the exact cost of treatment for clogged pores.
How To Prevent Clogged Pores On Face?
It is important to make sure clogged pores do not become a recurring issue. Consider these expert tips for healthier skin.
- Avoid using too much makeup or harsh cosmetic products on your skin that can further make it dry or infect your pores.
- Make sure that you stay hydrated as the lack of water in our body can be an indirect cause of clogged pores.
- Avoid the accumulation of oil on your skin pores by washing your face daily (or twice a day for oily skin).
- Accommodate the use of natural products like grapeseed oil or Aloe Vera gel in your skincare routine to cleanse and nourish your skin.
- One of the common misconceptions about clogged pores treatment is regarding the use of scrubbers. You should avoid using scrubbers as they can make your pores larger and expose them to infection.
- An organic face mask with activated charcoal can also help get rid of clogged pores on your cheeks, forehead, and nose.
- Exfoliating your skin with substances like salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide helps keep it disinfected. Studies confirm the potential of salicylic acid which has been used as an exfoliating agent for over 2,000 years. (4)
- Dedicated products like clogged pore strips that you can try to remove clogged pores on the nose and chin.
Now when you know what clogged pores are and how to treat them, you can easily keep your skin healthy. Feel free to share these tips for clogged pores with your friends as well and help them get flawless skin.