Scars are part and parcel of our lives. Though some of us wear our scars proudly, others would prefer to get rid of them completely. You can find the right treatment to get rid of the old scars only after you have identified its type. Read on to know more.
What Is An Old Scar?
An old scar is a mark that has been present on the body for a long time. It may be a result of chickenpox, acne outbreak at puberty, an injury or an accident—but it is still visible on the body. Some treatments can now help you get rid of these old scars.
What Are The Different Types Of Old Scars?
Dermatologists classify old scars into different types based on various factors such as:
- The injury that caused the scars (such as old burn scar, surgery, old pimple scar, accident scar, etc.)
- The type, colour, thickness, and texture of the skin
- The area of the body affected by the scar
The main types of scars are:
Must Read: How To Get Rid Of Deep Scars From Face?
#The presence of old scars is an unpleasant experience for all. However, with specialized treatments, these old marks can fade to a great extent. Watch this video to know effective scar removal treatments.
How Does An Old Scar Differ From A New One?
Typically, old scars are marks or depressions that are left behind by past injuries. As new collagen fibres form and organize themselves in the process of healing, the skin shows the more uneven texture and tone that we associate with scars.
New scars, on the other hand, do not stimulate a response from the body to mature and organize the excessive collagen produced. These tend to fade away with time if managed in the earlier stages.
Must Read: How To Remove Scars From Nose?
How To Remove Old Scars?
If you have old scars and want to get rid of them, then the best course of action is to visit a dermatologist who can examine your scar, and evaluate its type, cause, texture and more before recommending the best treatment for it. Here are a few treatment options he may suggest for visibly reducing your scar:
- Laser Resurfacing – Pixel is the laser-based resurfacing technology commonly used for the treatment of old scars. It uses the erbium YAG fractionated laser. A fractionated laser divides a single laser beam into multiple smaller beams. These create numerous micro-wounds on the skin, prompting a collagen-production response from the body. This helps heal the old, dark-colored scars, by progressively lightening them over time. It is a non-invasive and safe method for effectively treating old scars on various parts of the body. The procedure involves a downtime of four to five days.
- Microneedling Radiofrequency (MNRF) – Dermatologists use a micro-needling device during the procedure. The fine microneedles upon penetrating the skin at a suitable depth emit radiofrequency energy and stimulate the collagen remodelling that helps in lightening the scars gradually.
- Chemical Peels – Chemical peeling is an effective way to lighten mild to superficial scars. A chemical peel helps by exfoliating the epidermal layer of the skin, which helps reduce the visibility of the scars. Your dermatologist will prescribe a suitable chemical peel based on your skin type and the severity of your scar. He may use chemical peels in conjunction with other forms of treatment. This method is most useful for reducing the pigmentation of scars on the face.
- Surgery – Surgical scar revision is a treatment option that involves the use of invasive methods to remove the scar tissue and then join the remaining skin together with fine sutures. Doctors usually recommend surgical options for severe cases or when the scarring impairs function.
- Scar Removal Creams – Some topical old scar removal creams may be effective, but they provide only temporary and limited results. In some cases, OTC creams may not work on old scars at all. These creams are usually safe, but you need to use them for the long term to see any result. It is advisable to consult a dermatologist before using them.
Must Read: How To Remove Scars From Your Legs?
What Is The Cost Of Removing Old Scar?
The cost of treatment for removal of old scars in India depends upon the kind of treatment you choose. Check out the following cost details to make an informed decision that suits your budget:
- Laser Treatment: Costs between Rs 7,000 to Rs 20,000 per session.
- MNRF: Priced at Rs 10,000 to Rs 25,000 per session.
- Chemical Peels: Has a price range of Rs 3,000 to Rs 7,000.
- Scar Excision: Costs between Rs 15,000 to Rs 25,000.
- Skin Grafting: Has a price range between Rs 50,000 to Rs 1,00,000.
- Topical Creams: Costs between Rs 900 to Rs 7,000.
Your dermatologist may propose a treatment which may include one or more of these techniques. The cost of treatment varies from one person to another based on the type of old scars, their size, and depth, the modality selected, and the number of sessions advised. The prices mentioned here are indicative and vary from one clinic to another based on its location, reputation, the experience of the dermatologist and equipment used. It is advisable to visit a skin clinic to know the exact cost of treatment for removal of old scars.
Home Remedies For Old Scars
Home remedies are often the sought-after treatment; however, there is no scientific evidence proving their effectiveness. According to researchers, natural solutions may not help or may show minimal results in removing old scars or fading their appearance.
Now you know all about the various treatment options available for reducing your old scars effectively. Consult a qualified dermatologist to find out which option is suitable for you.