Having scars and marks on various body parts is quite common. Most of the scars tend to heal themselves on their own; however, there are some scars which may need cosmetic treatments to clear. As wearing your choice of outfits with unsightly scars on legs can be displeasing.
Scars On Legs
Scars can be formed due to an injury, burn or wound. There may be varying degrees of these scars on legs. While the minor scars fade on their own, some deeper and more prominent ones may be painful as well as displeasing at the same time. The development of scars can relate to underlying damage to the skin tissues and even deeper. So before we discuss how to remove scars on legs, we need to understand the causes of those scars.
What Are The Causes Of Scars On Legs?
- Scratching – This is the most common cause of scars on legs. Any kind of itch is immediately scratched away, but what we don’t realize is the development of scars after all that scratching.
- Ingrown Hair – Ingrown hair is those which have curled and grown back into the skin rather than rising up. They usually lead to the development of red bumps, sores or keloid scars. When you pluck or pick at those bumps and sores, they will lead to the development of scars.
- Shaving – Shaving the unwanted hair on your legs can result in scars. This happens when you get nicks and cuts due to the use of razors. Not all razor cuts lead to scars, but depending upon the depth of the cuts, you can develop scars.
- Mosquito/Bug Bites – We have all been the victims of the pesky mosquito or bug bites. Incessant scratching of mosquito or bug bite bumps leads to unwanted scars on the legs.
- Diabetes – People suffering from diabetes often experience diabetic dermopathy on their lower legs. These usually appear as pigmented patches, which over a period of time, turn into atrophic scars.
- Epilators – Epilators are a great way to remove unwanted hair from the legs. But these epilators can sometimes result in ingrown hair which then, in turn, will lead to scarring on the legs.
- Diseases – There are quite a few diseases such as chickenpox, which can leave you with scars.
- Injuries – Scars are often the side effect of various injuries such as an accident or getting hurt while playing or taking part in sports.
How To Remove Scars From Legs?
- Chemical Peel – Chemical Peel can treat scars on legs is an effective way. It helps in getting rid of the superficial scars. This treatment is usually advised for scars which have developed due to hyperpigmentation. Glycolic acid is used during a chemical peel treatment and you will observe that after two weeks, the skin’s top layers will start to peel off, giving way to new skin without scars.
- Laser Treatment– Laser treatment can be done for effective scar removal and it is ideal for reducing the appearance of deep scars. In laser treatment, the scar tissue is burned away using a laser beam. Depending upon the size and depth of your scar, you will have to take up multiple sessions to achieve the desired results.
- Steroid Injections – It is a successful method wherein the steroid injections containing hydro-cortisone is injected, directly around the skin covering the scars. In case you have larger keloids, then those are usually sliced or frozen off, before using the steroid injections.
- Collagen Fillers – For treating indented scars, collagen fillers or injections of any other fats are used. When the collagen is injected in the skin, it fills up the indented scars. However, this is not a permanent solution, as you will have to visit your dermatologist after four months to fill up the scars again.
- Dermabrasion – Dermabrasion is a surgical and invasive skin resurfacing procedure, which injures upper and dermal layers of the skin in a controlled manner. They are performed by experienced dermatologists in medically restrained conditions. Mostly advisable for deeper indented scars or acne scars on the legs. Post-surgery, new skin is formed which will, in turn, reduce the appearance of the scars. It may not be a permanent solution though.
Consult your dermatologist before proceeding with any of the above treatments, as they would be able to determine the causes and course of treatment for effectively curing your scars. Also, make sure that you get these treatments done by a certified dermatologist.
Apart from the cosmetic treatments discussed above, you can also use over-the-counter scar removal creams for legs. Though these creams and gels are known to be effective, their success depends upon the type as well as the severity of the scars that you have.
- Silicone-based Scar Sheet – The silicone-based scar sheets are easily available over-the-counter. These self-adhesive sheets should be placed over the scars so that the silicone present in it can hydrate and soften the scar and fade it over a period of time.
- Bleaching Creams – They reduce the appearance of scars, as they contain hydroquinone which helps in lightening the color of the scar, thereby making it less visible.
What Is The Cost Of Treatment For Scar Removal From Legs?
The cost of leg scar removal treatment is variable. Check out the following cost details to make an informed decision that suits your budget:
- Laser Therapy: Costs between Rs 7,000 and Rs 20,000 per session.
- Chemical peels: Priced between Rs 3,000, and Rs 7,000 per session.
- Collagen fillers: Price starts from Rs 20,000 and Rs 10,00,00 per session.
- Microdermabrasion: Costs between Rs 2000 and Rs 5000 per session.
Your dermatologist may recommend these treatments either singularly or in combination. The cost of treatment varies from one person to another depending on the choice of procedure, the severity of the condition, the size, type and depth of the scars, your skin type and the number of sessions recommended. The prices mentioned here are indicative only and may vary from one clinic to another based on its location, reputation, the technology available and the experience of the doctor. It is advisable to visit a skin clinic to find out the exact cost of treatment for the removal of scars on legs.
Before And After Results
Creams Vs Treatments For Scars On legs
- Creams usually take a lot of time to show even mild results and they are not very effective. But the dermatological treatments are usually quick and they even show the desired results within 3-4 sessions.
- Creams may contain harsh chemicals which can further damage your skin. Treatments are more effective and with lesser side effects which can be medically controlled by an expert dermatologist.
- Over the counter creams and gels may appear cheap at first, but they are just a temporary solution. Though their outcomes are generally not very apparent. The dermatological treatments are cost-effective considering their long term effectiveness. They are clinically controlled so give risk-free and desired results, and they can be maintained with routine appointments.
Tips For Preventing Scars On legs
- If a scar has already formed, then you need to begin with dermatological treatments as soon as possible. This is because the creams and cosmetic treatments will work more effectively on newly developing scars.
- Exfoliating scars on legs should be a part of your skincare regime. Exfoliation helps in removing all the dead skin from the top layer, allowing new skin to grow in its place.
- Avoid discoloration of your scars by using sunscreens with SPF 30.
- You should gently massage your legs once or twice a week so that the fibrous tissue which leads to scarring, can be broken down. Gently massage with your hands using long and circular strokes.
- In case of emergency, keep a good concealer handy. Ensure that the concealer matches your skin tone and if you are planning to hit the beach or pool, then make sure to use a waterproof concealer.
It is recommended to consult an expert dermatologist for any scar on your legs, and then opt for the procedures and creams, based on their suggestions. Holistic treatment is needed to cure the root cause along with the cosmetic treatment, to get rid of the scar permanently.