Everyone faces the problem of acne and acne scars during teenage and most of them grow out of this problem with time. However, for some people, deep acne scars continue to form even after they reach adulthood. It is very important for these people to find out the root cause of acne and acne scars, also see a dermatologist to treat these unsightly scars from the body as they can be painful and have a negative impact on your self-confidence.
Understanding Deep Acne Scars
There are different types of scars that can develop on an individual’s skin. Scars which develop on the first layer of the skin or the epidermis are known as superficial scars. These type of scars usually get healed on their own. There are some scars which penetrate deep into your skin or into the dermis. Deep acne scars are a prime example of this kind of scars.
When the dermis gets damaged, it develops a scar once the wound is healed. In some situations, once the acne is healed it leaves behind deep acne scars. People are always on the lookout for ways to reduce or remove these acne scars. It is important to check with an expert dermatologist to determine the esthetic treatment and to find a cure for the root cause of acne and acne scars.
What Are The Causes Of Deep Acne Scars?
Deep acne scars are caused when you try to pick or pop the acne. Sometimes people knowingly or unknowingly end up rubbing the acne vigorously that will result in deep acne scars. This is one of the external causes of developing deep scars.
Internal causes are also capable of leaving you with deep acne scars. Your body tries to heal the acne scars on its own. To do so it needs to produce collagen which tries to repair the damaged dermis. This healing process results may also in scars. When the body produces excess collagen it will result in the formation of raised scars that are known as keloid scars and when the collagen production is not sufficient, it results in pitted scars.
How To Get Rid Of Deep Acne Scars?
After determining the causes of deep acne scars, it is easier to decide on how to treat them. However, this is just a temporary method. With the advancements in the esthetic dermatology, people can now opt to get rid of deep acne scars permanently. Below are some of the treatments which can aid in reducing or removing the scars.
- Laser skin resurfacing – This is one of the best treatment to remove deep acne scars permanently. In this procedure, lasers are used to remove the deformed layers of the skin. Different types of lasers are used to target acne scars and remove them. Controlled beams of lasers are used to directly focus on the collagen within the dermis so that there is no effect on the upper layers of the skin.
- Chemical peels – In a chemical peel procedure, the dermatologist will use specially formulated plant extract-based acid, which is applied on your face. The peel will gently get rid of your upper deformed layers of the skin and in the process will remove all the dead and damaged skin cell. There are different types of peels available based on the strength of the chemicals used in them. You have a light chemical peel, medium chemical peel, and a deep chemical peel. A deep chemical peel for acne scars is quite effective and helpful in getting rid of the deep acne scars on the face.
- Microneedling therapy – It is also known as collagen induction therapy to treat these displeasing post-acne scars. It penetrates into the dermis and stimulates collagen and elastin production. Thus triggering the body’s natural healing process which helps in fading the appearance of the deep scars.
- Microdermabrasion – A form of extreme exfoliation, Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive and non-surgical procedure. In this treatment method, your dermatologist will use fine crystals to get rid of the skin’s outermost layer which is full of dead skin cells. This will give way to new and healthy-looking skin from beneath. This method is ideal to improve the appearance of your deep acne scars. Suitable for all skin types, a microdermabrasion treatment takes just about an hour.
- Filler injections – These fillers can be temporary, semi-permanent or permanent depending on the filler used. It is based on the concept of soft tissue augmentation.
- Steroids – Topical steroids can be given along with the above procedures by your dermatologist. This will help in reducing the inflammation and improve the appearance of the scar.
- Dermabrasion – It is an invasive exfoliation technique that uses certain roller instruments to remove the damaged outer layers of the skin. This gives out the new and rejuvenated skin layers from beneath thus helping in fading the scars.
Tips To Prevent The Formation Of Deep Acne Scars
- A healthy diet is key to avoid acne and pimple problems. Ensure that your diet includes fish oil supplements, fresh vegetables, proteins, and drink a lot of water as this will hydrate your skin from within.
- If you notice pimples and acne on your skin, avoid touching, pinching, picking, popping or squeezing it. Do not try to get rid of the inflamed lesions on your own by these methods as it will only worsen your condition.
- Keep your skin hydrated at all times by using a moisturizer. You can use a water-based lotion so that it feels light on your skin. Oil-based moisturizers will make your skin feel heavy and the oil will further block the pores.
- Vitamin C is very essential in the production of collagen. This is why you need to ensure that your body is receiving an adequate amount of vitamin C. You can either take vitamin C supplements or have a diet which includes foods that are rich in vitamin C.
Deep acne scars are not just some superficial scars which just have a cosmetic impact. They also cause a great impact on an individual’s personality. So, if you do notice that you have developed deep acne scars, then visit an expert dermatologist soon. This will improve both, your appearance as well as your personality.