Did you know that swimming not only helps in weight loss but also has many additional health benefits? This article talks about the most effective ways of swimming to lose weight along with a practical diet plan and other top benefits of swimming.
Is Swimming Helpful For Weight Loss?
Yes, experts point that swimming is an effective cardiovascular workout and helps lose weight. This high-intensity workout increases your heart rate, helps burn calories, and aids in shedding extra kilos. It utilises the entire body, toning your muscles, making you look lean and fit.
Must Read: Non-surgical Weight Loss Treatment
How To Effectively Swim For Weight Loss?
Studies show that swimming for 30-40 minutes, three times a week, helps burn a greater number of calories. You may lose up to half a kilo in two weeks if you go for a 30-minute swim every day. Here are a few tips:
- Start with a 10-minute warm-up session along the length of the swimming pool.
- Then engage in the freestyle stroke, as it needs the least effort. You can go up to five lengths with this stroke.
- You can then gradually start experimenting with other strokes such as freestyle kick, free pull, pull sidekick, interval swimming, targeting specific body parts.
- Try the butterfly stroke next. It is the most demanding of all strokes and burns maximum calories.
- According to a Harvard Medical School study, a person weighing around 56kgs can burn up to 330 calories through the butterfly stroke in a 30-minute freestyle swimming session.
- Meanwhile, backstroke and breaststroke can help burn 240 and 300 calories respectively in 30 minutes.
- Mixing up the intensity, duration, stroke style, and efficiency will make a difference to your overall calorie burn.
- You can also use an online calculator to measure how many calories you can burn with swimming.
Must Read: 10 Best Aerobic Exercises For Weight Loss
What Is The Best Time To Swim For Weight Loss?
The best time to go for a swim, especially for weight loss, is in the morning. At this time, the body is in the fasting stage, and it will convert fat deposits into the energy required for swimming. Hence, you can expect great results from an early morning swimming workout.
What Is The Recommended Weight Loss Diet Plan For Swimming?
As swimming uses a lot of energy and burns many calories, you need to compensate the body with required nutrition before and after your pool sessions. When you take up swimming, make sure your diet plan contains – enough lean protein, fewer carbohydrates, the right amount of fat, and lots of soluble fibre.
Before: Make sure to eat a light snack or a meal containing whole grains or a protein shake that gives you enough energy for a 30-minute swimming session. Eat or drink at least an hour before the session to avoid bloating. Protein bars, dates, Greek yoghurt with fruits are power-packed snack options.
After: It is crucial to refuel your body after swimming. You can choose proteins, vegetables, fruits or whole grains such as oats, peanut butter toast, banana, honey, chicken, eggs, and sweet potatoes.
It is crucial to stay hydrated before and after swimming so include an energy drink, plain water, or fruit and vegetable juices.
Must Read: 30 Days Diet Plan For Weight Loss
Other Top Benefits of Swimming
Besides aiding weight loss, swimming has several other health benefits. Here are the top reasons how swimming helps:
Builds Cardiovascular Strength:
Swimming boosts the heart, lungs, and circulatory system. It helps regulate blood pressure, keeps the blood sugar levels in control, and improves heart health.
Improves Sleep and Overall Mood:
Studies show that swimming prevents insomnia and works as a mood booster. It also relieves stress and anxiety.
Works for those with injuries or disabilities:
Swimming is a safe choice of workout for people with disabilities, those recovering from injuries, or those suffering from medical conditions like asthma. Pregnant women advised against performing a high-impact workout can also choose swimming but only under a doctor’s supervision.
Now you know that swimming is effective for weight loss and comes with many additional health benefits. However, remember that it is necessary to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. A combination of a balanced diet and exercise will give you the desired results.