Laser hair removal treatment has become increasingly popular since the late 90s in India with many women and even men resorting to this aesthetic procedure to permanently remove unwanted body hair. Over the years, many technological advancements helped improve the results of this treatment. Various lasers are now available in India for effective removal of different hair types with proven safety and efficacy for different skin tones and hair types. Let us look at the different professional laser hair removal machines often used at skin clinics across India.
Professional Laser Hair Removal Machines Available In India
There are currently five different types of laser hair removal machines available in India, and each has its distinct features and intricacies of functioning. Each laser machine comes with its specific suitability parameters for different skin types and involves a different cost of treatment. The top five laser machines used for hair removal in India, include the following:
- Soprano ICE Laser Hair Removal Machine
- Nd: YAG Laser Hair Removal Machine
- Diode Laser Hair Removal Machine
- Ruby Laser Hair Removal Machine
- Alexandrite Laser Hair Removal Machine
Now let’s find out the pros and cons of each laser machine used for professional hair removal.
Soprano ICE Laser Hair Removal Machine
Description: A product of Alma Lasers, the leading manufacturers of laser machines in the world, Soprano ICE laser is the ultimate machine for cosmetic hair removal. It can work on multiple wavelengths – diode (810nm) and Alex (755nm). This means that this one machine works on different skin types and hair types. It is a US FDA-approved laser hair removal technology. The applicator has an attached cooling system that makes the process painless and comfortable and prevents any thermal damage to the surrounding superficial skin layers.
Skin Types Treated: It can treat skin types I to VI and even tanned skin.
Who Uses It?: World-class skin clinics that offer advanced cosmetic treatments use Soprano ICE machine to perform laser hair removal. Only trained professionals, preferably a certified dermatologist, should operate the machine following strict protocols and while taking all the necessary precautions.
Cost Of Machine: The price of the soprano ICE laser hair removal machine ranges between Rs 38 lakh and Rs 45 lakh. The versatility, high coverage, and increased efficiency offered by this machine that works on all skin types are the essential reasons why many skin clinics prefer to opt for it. The cost of the equipment determines the price of professional laser hair removal treatment. Even though the price per session is higher in comparison with other hair removal services using different laser technologies, overall, the procedure is cost-effective and safer for use on sensitive areas too.
Pros Of Using It:
- Offers painless procedure that does not cause any significant discomfort.
- Safe for use on all skin types, from fair skin to dark and tanned skin.
- The machine effectively removes all hair types, including – thick hair, medium hair, and fine hair.
- No downtime after the session.
- No side effects.
Cons Of Using It: Compared to the other laser machines in the market, the cost per session of laser hair removal treatment with Soprano ICE works out to be on the higher side.
Expert Review: Soprano ICE is the best laser hair removal technology available in the market that is suitable for use on all skin and hair types.
Nd: YAG Laser Hair Removal Machine
Description: This hair removal machine uses a long-pulsed Neodymium Yttrium Aluminium Garnet (Nd: YAG) laser of 1064nm wavelength to destroy the melanin pigment within the follicular unit and stem cells responsible for hair growth. The use of this machine is widespread because it absorbs melanin to a maximum extent and allows it to scatter less beneath the skin. It is safe for use on darker skin types apart from the fair ones. Another advantage of using this machine is that dermatologists can treat even the smallest areas where it is challenging to manoeuvre using its tip.
Skin Types Treated: Suitable for fair and dark skin (skin types I to VI).
Who Uses It?: Many skin clinics use Nd: YAG machine to perform laser hair removal. Only trained professionals, preferably a certified dermatologist, should operate the machine while following strict protocols and taking all the necessary precautions.
Cost Of Machine: An Nd: YAG laser machine can cost anywhere between Rs 2.5 lakh and Rs 7.5 lakh. This cost varies depending on the manufacturer and the quality of the equipment. The cost of treatment per session will work out to be lower than Soprano ICE.
Pros Of Using It:
- Minimum risk of blistering and inflammation post the treatment.
- Longer wavelength makes it suitable for Indian skin and dark tone.
- Dermatologists can treat larger areas such as the legs, back, and chest quickly with this machine when compared to using other lasers.
- It results in delayed hair regrowth in between sessions.
Cons Of Using It:
- Not as effective on fine and lighter hair.
- Can be painful and may need the use of external cooling agents.
- It requires an extended session compared to in-motion technologies.
Expert Review: Nd: YAG laser shows excellent results in most cases, especially on Indian skin.
Diode Laser Hair Removal Machine
Description: The diode laser machine uses a wavelength of 810nm from semiconductors to penetrate the skin and target the melanin in the hair follicles. The energy from the laser destroys the hair follicles.
Skin Types Treated – Dermatologists use it on medium to dark skin types for successful hair reduction.
Who Uses It?: This type of laser is available in both cosmetic clinics and beauty salons. However, it is advisable that only trained professionals, preferably a certified dermatologist, should operate the machine.
Cost Of Machine: A diode laser hair removal machine costs around Rs 5 lakh to Rs 6 lakh. When you compare the price per session of hair removal using an Nd: YAG laser session and diode laser there, is hardly any difference as the devices cost approximately the same.
Pros Of Using It:
- Penetrates the skin well
- Results in effective hair reduction.
- It is suitable for medium and dark skin type.
- It offers an adjustable wavelength based on the skin and hair type treated.
- Effectively treats thick and coarse hair that grows on the back and chest.
- Leaves the epidermis undamaged.
Cons Of Using It: It does not show results while treating finer and lighter hair.
Expert Review: As it suits medium to dark skin types better, speak to your dermatologist about how effective it will be for your skin type.
Ruby Laser Hair Removal Machine
Description: It is one of the oldest laser machines used for hair removal commercially. It offers a safe and relatively pain-free treatment for hair reduction. It is suitable for removing dark hair on light skin. It has an inbuilt cooling system. It uses a laser beam of 694.3nm wavelength.
Skin Types Treated: Only light skin (skin types I and II) are treatable with Ruby laser.
Who Uses It?: Skin clinics that are still performing laser hair removal using old technology tend to have Ruby laser devices in their clinics.
Cost Of Machine: Ruby laser hair removal machine ranges between Rs 1.5 lakh and Rs 2 lakh. As the machine comes at a price lower than the ones discussed above, the cost of laser hair removal treatment per session in India using this technology is more affordable too. However, the use of a ruby laser machine involves many limitations.
Pros Of Using it:
- It delivers excellent results while treating light skin with dark and fine hair.
- It causes minimal side effects because of the built-in cooling system.
- It involves little to no downtime.
- The delay between pulses also reduces the chances of burns and pain.
Cons Of Using it:
- Can treat small areas of the skin due to slower pulse repetition rate. It offers time–consuming treatment.
- Not suitable for medium, dark or tanned skin.
- Causes discolouration of the skin (and even burns) when used on any other skin tone except fair.
- May cause side effects like transient redness in the treated area.
- May achieve mediocre results for reducing thick hair on very fair skin.
- Based on outdated technology with high competition from the latest machines.
Expert Review: Not many clinics in India use Ruby laser for advanced hair reduction. If you do opt for treatment using this equipment, please ensure you undergo a patch test before the start of the session. This technology is suitable only for people with lighter skin tones.
Alexandrite Laser Hair Removal Machine
Description: The machine uses a long wavelength laser from Alexandrite crystals to destroy hair follicles and effectively reduce hair growth. Dermatologists use this laser technology to treat larger areas of skin conveniently. Doctors use rapid pulses to reduce hair growth in the target area.
Skin Types Treated: Can treat fair skin up to olive skin (skin type I to IV).
Who Uses It?: Alexandrite laser machine is available in several cosmetic skin clinics. Only a trained professional, preferably a certified dermatologist, should operate this machine while following strict protocols and taking all the necessary precautions.
Cost Of Machine: An Alexandrite laser machine can cost between Rs 8 lakh and Rs 15 lakh. Like the Nd: YAG laser machine, the cost varies depending on the manufacturer and quality of the device. The cost per session for hair removal using Alexandrite laser treatment is higher than that utilising Nd: YAG and diode lasers because the price of the equipment is higher than the other two laser technologies.
Pros Of Using It:
- Useful for removing thinner and finer hairs.
- Suitable for treating slightly darker skin (olive toned) too apart from fair skin.
- The laser equipment can remove hair from larger areas faster.
- A shorter session involved because of rapid laser repetition.
Cons Of Using It:
- Not suitable for use on dark or very dark skin.
- It involves a risk of skin discolouration.
Expert Review: After Soprano ICE, this is your next best option for laser hair reduction check with your dermatologist to know if it’s suitable for your skin type.
Here’s another popular hair removal technology that is similar to a laser.
IPL Hair Removal Machine
Description: IPL stands for ‘intense pulsed light’ that destroys the hair follicles using the light energy that transforms into heat energy when it encounters the melanin in the hair. IPL is the most widely used technology for hair removal. It is not a laser per se, but it is still a popular method of advanced hair removal, based on the same principle of converting light energy into heat energy and destroying hair follicles.
Skin Types Treated: Suitable for all skin types
Who Uses It?: Most commonly used in spas and salons that offer permanent hair removal treatment. Anyone can provide hair removal treatment using an IPL machine, which may make the procedure not as safe and effective as other laser machines that require highly trained professionals for operating them.
Cost Of Machine: Compared to all the permanent hair removal machines, the IPL equipment is the most inexpensive. The price starts at Rs 5,000 only and can go up to Rs 30,000. Many beauty salons use it to offer long-term hair reduction services. The cost per session is also the lowest compared to the other laser treatments discussed above.
Pros Of Using It:
- It is a quick and almost painless treatment.
- It is suitable for removing dark hair on light skin.
- It can treat extended areas of skin quickly.
Cons Of Using It:
- The results of hair reduction treatment using IPL are not as good as that of laser machines as the latter uses more targeted and concentrated laser beams.
- It may offer advanced hair removal at a bargain, but as untrained technicians perform the treatment, it can result in complications more often than not. Skin discolouration is a common complaint with light-coloured or dark-coloured patches forming on the skin after the procedure.
Expert Review: Hair reduction results are not optimal. Opting for laser hair removal will give you better results.
What Is The Best Professional Laser Hair Removal Machine?
While all laser hair removal machines offer long-term hair reduction, Soprano ICE laser is the most effective and safest technology out there in the field of professional aesthetic treatments. It works effectively on different skin tones and hair types. Your dermatologist may suggest the use of other laser hair removal technologies like Nd: YAG and diode laser depending on your skin’s requirements and your budget.
Now that you know all about the best laser technologies available in the market for hair removal, it can help you make an informed decision.
If you are exploring professional laser hair removal treatment, consult an experienced dermatologist at a reputed skin clinic that offers advanced treatments using cutting edge technology, and get ready to flaunt hair-free skin today!